Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Places of Power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stormdrake
This may sound like a nutty question but how would a player character create a "place of power"? I mean are we talking something that could only be done by a wizwyrm or a corp with extreme difficulty? Could a very imaginative and resourceful mage/shaman pull it off by himself or with the aid of a small group if special situations occurred? As an example an areas lay lines become destabilized due to whatever and temporarily start to drift across the face of the land. Ideas?
Chaos
Players would have to be allowed to on a house rule only

Dragons are able to do it with some help

as for destabilization.......Japan(nuf said)
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Stormdrake)
This may sound like a nutty question but how would a player character create a "place of power"?  I mean are we talking something that could only be done by a wizwyrm or a corp with extreme difficulty?  Could a very imaginative and resourceful mage/shaman pull it off by himself or with the aid of a small group if special situations occurred? As an example an areas lay lines become destabilized due to whatever and temporarily start to drift across the face of the land.  Ideas?

Target: Awakened Lands has rules for turning a Power Site to the advantage of a person or group.

Maybe I'll even quote from it when my home connection is up and running.
Ancient History
I dinnae think ye can make one, or e'en increase the power of one, but ye could certainly locate your HQ on top of one (with sufficient increase in lifestyle, see Sprawl Survival Guide) and you could ost certainly Aspect the manaline/power site to you, as seen in (I think) SOTA:2063.

Geomancy and/or powerful ritual magic (like, Ghost Dance type) can perhaps increase the rating of a power site or extend a manaline.
Abstruse
Basically, cast a whole lot of REALLY powerful spells in the same spot over an incredibly long period of time, and you have a power site. Unfortunately, your pretty little power site won't be ready for a century or three...that's if you haven't killed yourself from the physical drain of the rituals you're casting (and yes, with the power we're talking about, your drain WILL be physical...unless your Laughing Man that is...)

The short answer, though, is no. A PC doesn't have the time, resources, and talent to create a power site. And if he/she does, then you might want to seriously exam the power level of your game.

The Abstruse One
Stormdrake
In Japan some of the Lay Lines may be moving around due to the great destabilization that occurred there. So having not caused them to move in the first place could a mortal mage or shaman influence were they come to lay? I would say that the situation in Japan is pretty unique and that normally impossible things while still frilling difficult might be pulled off. Of course you then run into the problem of hanging onto your new place of power as corps, goverments and maybe a dragon or two come demanding to know what you think your doing.
Stormdrake
In reality I agree with Abtruse(?) in the matter of power levels. However the idea might be a good one for a motive of a antagonist in a game. A corp in Japan attempts it (putting aside the matter of could they) and your team gets hired to sabotage them.
Abstruse
NPCs can do it frankly because they're NPCs and they can do anything due to GM fiat. However, it is very costly, very time-consuming, and very difficult.

The Abstruse One
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012