IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Abandoned Highschool, Shadowrunner Base?
Stormdrake
post Jul 27 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,623

Just recently went back to my old highschool. It's in Chicago and not the best part either. The amount of non human security now present combined with the schools normal assets made me think what a shadowrunner team in 2065 could make of such a location. Figured it could make a really cool base. So my question to you all is what do you remeber from your highschools? Just looking for ideas to be included in a write up.
Thanks,
Stormdrake
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 27 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #2

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

I suppose they'd have to chase out the local gang first, though.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jul 27 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #3

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Typicaly schools are built too open for a good base. All those windows, double doors and hatches mean tons of entry points for intruders. Never mind more modern building architecture (most abandoned schools today are from 60 years ago or more) so imagine those all plexiglass walls of windows and trying to secure that in some of hte cafeterias.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Jul 27 2005, 06:16 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

If you take the whole thing though, including the grounds, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. The rigger just puts in a couple of the track mounted drones around the outside fence, and after the first person over the fense gets shredded by MMG fire, everyone else gets the idea.
In the Redmond barrens, I'm sure there are at least 20 schools that would work for this. Of course, all of them are currently the squats for dozens of families, or for a local gang, but they're there.

+Quote Post
northern lights
post Jul 27 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,929

just ran a group through the mall from my high school town. had a psuedo gang in residence. the pc's never thought to use it themselves. i personally thought it would be pretty cool.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 27 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

It has potential, but you'd need to make some serious modifications. Some notes:

The Good
  • Plenty of Space
  • Personal Gym
  • Possible open areas for shamans, back-to-nature-types, and exapnsion.
  • Ideal for setting up urban assault drills.
  • Possible bonus spaces, such as greenhouse, server room, pool, weight room, garage, machine shop, JROTC armory, theater, library, etc.
  • Basic defenses (alarms, closed-circuit TV, barbed-wire fences, concrete roadblocks, locks) likely.

The Bad
  • Renovations needed, likely expensive (but excellent once complete).
  • Vulnerable (although mazelike, serious or prolonged habitation would necessitate massive and expensive improvements to defense: reinforcing walls, bricking up unnecessary windows, adding exterior security cameras and drone [since most schools have a decent lawn, cybered or paranormal dogs may be ideal], adding Awakened ivy or wards, etc. Furthermore, architectural plans are likely matters of public record.)
  • Possible toxic zone (all those boring classes are one thing, but who knows what darksome deeds were committed there?) or haunted. Some schoolgrounds tainted by local toxic waste dump, asbestos, etc.

The Ugly
A school is a big target, and a serious investment. Once you start renovations, you pretty much have to prepare for a seige if you're ever tracked back there. Furthermore, as a highly visible location, at least one legal SIN would be necessary, and property taxes probably apply.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 27 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Exterior doors can be secured or simply welded shut. Windows would be another problem but they can be secured, as well. All you really need is some security bars and possibly some plywood to cover them on the inside just in case the base is attacked by a magician. It would be work, but not much more work than securing any other squatter location.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Jul 27 2005, 07:04 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

Who says you need to rebuild and fortify the whole thing? Blow out non-load bearing walls to create open field of fire, and fortify/reinforce only the sections you intend to live in. Mine the rest.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Jul 27 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #9

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

I always thought a Firehouse would make an awesome base. Its small, tough, and defendable.

As for the school, you could always setup in one section of it, board or block of the rest. Like you could setup in the gym and close of everything else.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jul 27 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #10

Chicago Survivor

Yeah, a firehouse would be nice. just imagine all the spirits running around there...

+Quote Post
Trax
post Jul 27 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

Plus you get a kickass pole to slide down.

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Jul 27 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,628

GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

EDIT: Hmmm, that sounded a little too excited... :spin:

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 27 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

What about buying a hotel and then casting a mojo illusion spell that makes it so the building is not there anymore and the lot is deserted. Plus, going to all the people associated with building and the city planners and implanting into their mind via spell or even psychotropic BTL's to make them believe the building was demolished...

Yeah, yeah, I caught 'The Shadow' on cable recently. :-P

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Jul 27 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

One reason I thought a high school would be appropriate is that many of the older ones did double duty as civil fallout shelters. Meaning the school has its own genarator and water supply and much of the structure is already re-enforced. As for open windows and too many access points a lot of older city highschools were multi level with no windows on the ground floor. Built like semi fortresses or mini prisons if the truth be told.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jul 27 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #15

Chicago Survivor

But many of those types have been ground under the wave of urban sprawl long before your characters took their first mewling breaths. Not saying that there aren't any still left around, but if they are still around and that good for defense, likely someone else has already moved in and made the necessary arrangements to keep you out.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Jul 27 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

PBTHHHHT, Just because an idea has been used by hollywood does not make it a bad one. Was actually thinking a ancored spirit with the power of "hide" or "fear" would at least keep the local gang bangers away. A few accidental deaths or disappearances would also go a long way to keeping the locals away. IF you wanted to be evil that is.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Jul 27 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

Provided the school is in the Barrens in a Z-zone, you don't even need to kick out the local gang/squatters. Having "normal" people around helps keep a runner HQ low profile. If the runners don't mind spending a little bit of time as landlords (the devil rats are swarming in the gym again...), their local squatters and gangers will provide an excellent shielf to unwanted scrutiny.

Just make sure that some areas of the school are off-limits (e.g., the heavily protected runners only zone). If one of the locals acts up, they get "sent to the principle's office."

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jul 27 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #18

Chicago Survivor

that or every time one of them wanders in, the gang gets an unmarked package with the unbroken skin (sans the rest of them) of their missing friend. sooner or later, they'll find a cave and bury themselves to hide and take up macrame...

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Jul 27 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Ok true such a structure would in real life probably have occupents already. However as we are talking a game were the characters are the main point I think there could be ways around this. The story plot I am working on has a school having been modified by a corporation to be used as a deniable asset. That corp gets gobled up by a larger corporation before the base can be put to its use and in the restructuring it is "lost". A surviving member of managment of the little corps knows about it and uses it to pay off runners to help him escape from the corporation that took over and get some pay back. Obviously a very rough outline but you get the idea.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Jul 27 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

I think folks have considerably different ideas of what a "typical school" campus is going to look like in game. A rolling, green acres high school, with a sprawling gym, one or two stories, and grassy fields around it is one thing. A compact urban school in a multistory building with athletic facilities on the roof and a pool in the basement (like many schools in NYC, for example) is going to be a completely different kettle of SR fish. I'd be sure your players are clear on exactly what the layout of the grounds and/or building is.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Jul 27 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #21

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

And then theres high schools that look like this and are in Tacoma to boot.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Jul 27 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Shadow, ok that one looks like it could be fun. Something else for people to keep in mind is that according to cannon there are lots of ghost towns scattered across North America. Which means lots of old highschools sitting in ghost towns. Granted that means traveling to work but if your running teams that do smuggeling or other globe bouncing the possibilities are not too far fetched.

+Quote Post
Trax
post Jul 27 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

An entire town to call your own. :D

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 27 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (Stormdrake)
PBTHHHHT, Just because an idea has been used by hollywood does not make it a bad one. Was actually thinking a ancored spirit with the power of "hide" or "fear" would at least keep the local gang bangers away. A few accidental deaths or disappearances would also go a long way to keeping the locals away. IF you wanted to be evil that is.

I wasn't saying it was a bad idea. Just how feasible it is for this particular one. It works in the movie, 'The Shadow', because it wasn't magic but more like hypnosis, and still, in the srun world, to make something like that would likely radiate on the astral plane. So any opposition who even has a rudimentary of astral perception would likely find it. Unless I'm incorrectly remembering my astral stuff wrong...
Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, there's also stuff about warding and masking that could be involved. :P

Though, I guess there's masking and all that other such, I don't know, but just on a feasibility issue. C'mon, we're talking about making at least a 20 story building in the middle of downtown invisible.

Now, the anchored spirit with hide and fear for something smaller and unobtrusive, that'll actually work. Especially in a less visited spot of the city.

+Quote Post
ShieldT
post Jul 28 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,836

20-story high school? What kind of town did you live in?

Joking :grinbig:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.