> German Newsletter
apple
post Aug 2 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,827

From Fanpro Germany (Christian Lonsing), a very short and small summary

1) SR4 is finished and is being printed, so it should be ready for GenCon. Hurray! Double-Hurray!!

2) More than 100 people worked on SR4. I suppose that playtesters are included.

3) All additinal books (Weapons, Matrix etc) shall be released in 12 months.

4) Some rules regardings damage monitor and wounding effects are mentioned (and some blabla about the drain) but nothing specific.

5) It is mentioned that a character can go beyond the limit of 6 (dexterity 8, pistoles 7 => dice pool 15), I donīt know if it is an actual character, enhancements with cyber/bioware or just a rule sample.

6) Damage of normal weapons is something between 1 and 10 "boxes" on the monitor, amor can turn physical damage in stun damage. Heavy weapons and very good hits can do more than 10 damage.

7) It seems to be very hard to reduce damage to 0 if you are taking damage.

8) Drain damage can go beyond 10 "boxes" on the damage monitor.

SYL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Starglyte
post Aug 2 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,317

QUOTE (apple)

1) SR4 is finished and is being printed, so it should be ready for GenCon. Hurray! Double-Hurray!!

SYL

Thats the best news I've heard all day. Then again, it is the only news, but I won't hold that against it.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 2 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Hopefully it will be shipped faster than SoA...

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Aug 2 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #4

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

QUOTE (apple)

Hmm, this is good. It will hopefully increase "punk with a gun" danger factor, which is good. Guns are bad news for your health, m'kay?

+Quote Post
hermit
post Aug 2 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #5

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Nice. I always felt SR was a tad too soft. Hopefully, light pistols will be a health hazard now too, and not something you press against yur temple, pull the trigger, and just walk away.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Aug 3 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (Backgammon)
QUOTE (apple @ Aug 2 2005, 04:40 PM)

Hmm, this is good. It will hopefully increase "punk with a gun" danger factor, which is good. Guns are bad news for your health, m'kay?

I'm not convinced this is good at all. Combined with the fact that armor doesn't actually seem to save you from taking damage anymore (just converts it from lethal to stun, or whatever) it all starts to feel very abstract and arbitrary - neither realistic nor cinematic, just... arbitrary. We'll see when the rules come out, I guess.

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Aug 3 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,298

My guess is that it is very hard to reduce damage to zero because it's very hard to do anything to damage with a fixed TN of 5. Even with 12 dice to attack (or resist), you only expect 4 hits on average. That doesn't give a whole lot to play with. Aside from multiplying by two or three, you're mostly stuck with picking an intermediate value (e.g. 6) and then, when people take damage, that's about how much they take. I'm not sure how the whole stun vs. regular damage plays into things--if you could split damage evenly between stun and physical, you might have twice the dice to resist which would make the lack-of-hits problem less severe, but at the cost of twice as much rolling. But fixed TNs make it harder to get a wide range of number of hits, and lack of damage levels reduces the variability on damage from the number of hits, so unless variability is re-introduced at the weapon level ("A light pistol is 1d6+3!") or hits are multiplied by a hefty number, damage taken will be a lot more constant under SR4 than SR3.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 3 2005, 01:21 AM
Post #8

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

mmu1: There's more too it than that.

Ellery: You're overthinking things.

Bull

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Aug 3 2005, 01:22 AM
Post #9

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Which I think is good.

When someone gets shot, you don't ask "how bad was it". You assume it was bad and he went to the hospital, if he didn't outright die. I think the system should be more a all or nothing approach. It's harder to hit, meaning you do no damage more often than just a little damage, but when you hit, it counts.

Admitedly, from a gaming perspective, it makes things harder for the GM. Either the characters are in a bad shape or they are fine.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Aug 3 2005, 01:33 AM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (Backgammon)
Which I think is good.

When someone gets shot, you don't ask "how bad was it". You assume it was bad and he went to the hospital, if he didn't outright die. I think the system should be more a all or nothing approach. It's harder to hit, meaning you do no damage more often than just a little damage, but when you hit, it counts.

Admitedly, from a gaming perspective, it makes things harder for the GM. Either the characters are in a bad shape or they are fine.

If they have no armor, maybe - but there are plenty of recorded cases of people not even realizing they've been hit for longer than most SR combats last.

When body armor is factored in, hits that fail to penetrate basically do nothing that can be measured on a scale of 11 or 12 wound boxes.

+Quote Post
Bob the Ninja
post Aug 3 2005, 02:02 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 4,083

QUOTE (apple)

Don't they still have SR3 books to release yet? I'm guessing that "all in 12 months" is more likely going to be 2-3 years. Ish.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Aug 3 2005, 04:31 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

QUOTE (Bob the Ninja)
QUOTE (apple @ Aug 2 2005, 08:40 PM)

Don't they still have SR3 books to release yet? I'm guessing that "all in 12 months" is more likely going to be 2-3 years. Ish.

Um the back is caused by SR4. If SR4 wasn't coming out then they would have had more resources for the other books. Seeing as all the other books have about equal footing as any other book, besides SR4, no other books will be shafted out the resources they need.

Bob, if you wish to be a ninja you must first out think the Tick.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Aug 3 2005, 08:12 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (apple)
snip

9) Damage modifiers are now as follows:
Every 3 boxes of damage (mental and physical) give -1 dice on all checks except damage resistance.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Aug 3 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

The idea that armor changes physical damage to stun is interesting. Having worn body armor I can say from a real life standpoint that this is very correct. From a game stand point, well I am thinking there are going to be lots of unconsious shadowrunners laying around. Does anyone know if a character sustains enough stun damage if it will then kick over into physical again?

+Quote Post
Dustbin1_UK
post Aug 3 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 3,459

I cannot wait to get me mitts on it!

Anyone know when the general public, who cannot get to GenCon, will be able to get it? :|

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Aug 3 2005, 03:57 PM
Post #16

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

I've already pre-ordered mine with my FLGS. Getting hte special edition. for the extra 15 bucks the full color tip-ins better not friggin fall out after 6 months of minimal use like the first printing of SR3 did.

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Aug 3 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

On the sourcebooks:

In 12 month or over the next 12 month? Since it is Fanpro I fear the former :D

Honestly, I'll wait till the important books (Cyber, Weapons, Matrix, Rigger) are out and then have a look at it on a convention (Say RatCon 2006)

Btw: When is the US debut? September or August?

Birdy

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Aug 3 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #18

Chicago Survivor

the FLGS said they expect the first shipment around August 31st (oddly enough the new Rifts edition hits around then as well) But that of course is subject to heavy modification via the Chaos theorum.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Aug 3 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Nikoli)
the FLGS said they expect the first shipment around August 31st (oddly enough the new Rifts edition hits around then as well)

Late August and early September is going to have a lot of games that made GenCon debuts hitting store shelves, certainly.

The "12 months" thing is new to me, btw -- last I heard, it was 18 months.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Aug 3 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #20

Chicago Survivor

what about binding quality control? can we exepct the full color pages to stay in this time?

Not a Criticism of SR, just the P&P gaming industry as a whole

+Quote Post
Homme-qui-rigole
post Aug 3 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 4,248

QUOTE (Adam)
The "12 months" thing is new to me, btw -- last I heard, it was 18 months.

Hehehe! :D

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Aug 3 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #22

Running Target

QUOTE (Stormdrake)
The idea that armor changes physical damage to stun is interesting. Having worn body armor I can say from a real life standpoint that this is very correct. From a game stand point, well I am thinking there are going to be lots of unconsious shadowrunners laying around. Does anyone know if a character sustains enough stun damage if it will then kick over into physical again?

Yeah, 'cause people get knocked unconscious by non-penetrating hits on body armor all the time... :S

Like this guy, for example... http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292...2925-976420.php Oh, wait, he was up on his feet in a couple of seconds and able to chase after the guy who shot him...

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 3 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #23

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Mmmm aren't abstract game mechanics fun?

It could be argued that repeated blows to your body armor cause your character to pass out from the pain of broken ribs and bruises to internal organs.

I think we can all agree that must have hurt like hell. I doubt the guy was in peak physical condition after taking a hit like that... :eek:

+Quote Post
SL James
post Aug 3 2005, 09:34 PM
Post #24

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Or it could be argued that if you are injured badly enough to suffer penalties to actions because your body's natural compensation mechanisms are overwhelmed then perhaps said penalties are justified, but in combat that lasts between 10-15s fully soaking damage is just that--fully soaking any damage that would otherwise be immediately debilitating.

+Quote Post
Bob the Ninja
post Aug 3 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 4,083

QUOTE (Cynic project)
QUOTE (Bob the Ninja @ Aug 2 2005, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (apple @ Aug 2 2005, 08:40 PM)

Um the back is caused by SR4. If SR4 wasn't coming out then they would have had more resources for the other books. Seeing as all the other books have about equal footing as any other book, besides SR4, no other books will be shafted out the resources they need.

Bob, if you wish to be a ninja you must first out think the Tick.

I realize that my words may be hard to grasp Cynic, so I'm going to use simle sentences. The newsletter said that all the core SR4 books will be out in 12 months. Adam further clarified this by stating that it will be 18 months.

Still with me? Now, I mentioned earlier that Fanpro still had a few SR3 books to be put out. Since Fanpro manages only 2-3 books per year at best, this release schedule seems overly optimistic. The best estimate is to take whatever Fanpro says as a release date and multiply by 2. So, 18X2=36 months, or 3 years. Being as this is consistent with the SR3 core books, I take this as the most likely schedule.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.