Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: German Newsletter
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
apple
From Fanpro Germany (Christian Lonsing), a very short and small summary

1) SR4 is finished and is being printed, so it should be ready for GenCon. Hurray! Double-Hurray!!

2) More than 100 people worked on SR4. I suppose that playtesters are included.

3) All additinal books (Weapons, Matrix etc) shall be released in 12 months.

4) Some rules regardings damage monitor and wounding effects are mentioned (and some blabla about the drain) but nothing specific.

5) It is mentioned that a character can go beyond the limit of 6 (dexterity 8, pistoles 7 => dice pool 15), I donīt know if it is an actual character, enhancements with cyber/bioware or just a rule sample.

6) Damage of normal weapons is something between 1 and 10 "boxes" on the monitor, amor can turn physical damage in stun damage. Heavy weapons and very good hits can do more than 10 damage.

7) It seems to be very hard to reduce damage to 0 if you are taking damage.

cool.gif Drain damage can go beyond 10 "boxes" on the damage monitor.

SYL
Starglyte
QUOTE (apple)

1) SR4 is finished and is being printed, so it should be ready for GenCon. Hurray! Double-Hurray!!

SYL

Thats the best news I've heard all day. Then again, it is the only news, but I won't hold that against it.
Grinder
Hopefully it will be shipped faster than SoA...
Backgammon
QUOTE (apple)

Hmm, this is good. It will hopefully increase "punk with a gun" danger factor, which is good. Guns are bad news for your health, m'kay?
hermit
Nice. I always felt SR was a tad too soft. Hopefully, light pistols will be a health hazard now too, and not something you press against yur temple, pull the trigger, and just walk away.
mmu1
QUOTE (Backgammon)
QUOTE (apple @ Aug 2 2005, 04:40 PM)

Hmm, this is good. It will hopefully increase "punk with a gun" danger factor, which is good. Guns are bad news for your health, m'kay?

I'm not convinced this is good at all. Combined with the fact that armor doesn't actually seem to save you from taking damage anymore (just converts it from lethal to stun, or whatever) it all starts to feel very abstract and arbitrary - neither realistic nor cinematic, just... arbitrary. We'll see when the rules come out, I guess.
Ellery
My guess is that it is very hard to reduce damage to zero because it's very hard to do anything to damage with a fixed TN of 5. Even with 12 dice to attack (or resist), you only expect 4 hits on average. That doesn't give a whole lot to play with. Aside from multiplying by two or three, you're mostly stuck with picking an intermediate value (e.g. 6) and then, when people take damage, that's about how much they take. I'm not sure how the whole stun vs. regular damage plays into things--if you could split damage evenly between stun and physical, you might have twice the dice to resist which would make the lack-of-hits problem less severe, but at the cost of twice as much rolling. But fixed TNs make it harder to get a wide range of number of hits, and lack of damage levels reduces the variability on damage from the number of hits, so unless variability is re-introduced at the weapon level ("A light pistol is 1d6+3!") or hits are multiplied by a hefty number, damage taken will be a lot more constant under SR4 than SR3.
Bull
mmu1: There's more too it than that.

Ellery: You're overthinking things.

Bull
Backgammon
Which I think is good.

When someone gets shot, you don't ask "how bad was it". You assume it was bad and he went to the hospital, if he didn't outright die. I think the system should be more a all or nothing approach. It's harder to hit, meaning you do no damage more often than just a little damage, but when you hit, it counts.

Admitedly, from a gaming perspective, it makes things harder for the GM. Either the characters are in a bad shape or they are fine.
mmu1
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Which I think is good.

When someone gets shot, you don't ask "how bad was it". You assume it was bad and he went to the hospital, if he didn't outright die. I think the system should be more a all or nothing approach. It's harder to hit, meaning you do no damage more often than just a little damage, but when you hit, it counts.

Admitedly, from a gaming perspective, it makes things harder for the GM. Either the characters are in a bad shape or they are fine.

If they have no armor, maybe - but there are plenty of recorded cases of people not even realizing they've been hit for longer than most SR combats last.

When body armor is factored in, hits that fail to penetrate basically do nothing that can be measured on a scale of 11 or 12 wound boxes.
Bob the Ninja
QUOTE (apple)

Don't they still have SR3 books to release yet? I'm guessing that "all in 12 months" is more likely going to be 2-3 years. Ish.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Bob the Ninja)
QUOTE (apple @ Aug 2 2005, 08:40 PM)

Don't they still have SR3 books to release yet? I'm guessing that "all in 12 months" is more likely going to be 2-3 years. Ish.

Um the back is caused by SR4. If SR4 wasn't coming out then they would have had more resources for the other books. Seeing as all the other books have about equal footing as any other book, besides SR4, no other books will be shafted out the resources they need.

Bob, if you wish to be a ninja you must first out think the Tick.
MYST1C
QUOTE (apple)
snip

9) Damage modifiers are now as follows:
Every 3 boxes of damage (mental and physical) give -1 dice on all checks except damage resistance.
Stormdrake
The idea that armor changes physical damage to stun is interesting. Having worn body armor I can say from a real life standpoint that this is very correct. From a game stand point, well I am thinking there are going to be lots of unconsious shadowrunners laying around. Does anyone know if a character sustains enough stun damage if it will then kick over into physical again?
Dustbin1_UK
I cannot wait to get me mitts on it!

Anyone know when the general public, who cannot get to GenCon, will be able to get it? indifferent.gif
Nikoli
I've already pre-ordered mine with my FLGS. Getting hte special edition. for the extra 15 bucks the full color tip-ins better not friggin fall out after 6 months of minimal use like the first printing of SR3 did.
Birdy
On the sourcebooks:

In 12 month or over the next 12 month? Since it is Fanpro I fear the former biggrin.gif

Honestly, I'll wait till the important books (Cyber, Weapons, Matrix, Rigger) are out and then have a look at it on a convention (Say RatCon 2006)

Btw: When is the US debut? September or August?

Birdy
Nikoli
the FLGS said they expect the first shipment around August 31st (oddly enough the new Rifts edition hits around then as well) But that of course is subject to heavy modification via the Chaos theorum.
Adam
QUOTE (Nikoli)
the FLGS said they expect the first shipment around August 31st (oddly enough the new Rifts edition hits around then as well)

Late August and early September is going to have a lot of games that made GenCon debuts hitting store shelves, certainly.

The "12 months" thing is new to me, btw -- last I heard, it was 18 months.
Nikoli
what about binding quality control? can we exepct the full color pages to stay in this time?

Not a Criticism of SR, just the P&P gaming industry as a whole
Homme-qui-rigole
QUOTE (Adam)
The "12 months" thing is new to me, btw -- last I heard, it was 18 months.

Hehehe! biggrin.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (Stormdrake)
The idea that armor changes physical damage to stun is interesting. Having worn body armor I can say from a real life standpoint that this is very correct. From a game stand point, well I am thinking there are going to be lots of unconsious shadowrunners laying around. Does anyone know if a character sustains enough stun damage if it will then kick over into physical again?

Yeah, 'cause people get knocked unconscious by non-penetrating hits on body armor all the time... sarcastic.gif

Like this guy, for example... http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292...2925-976420.php Oh, wait, he was up on his feet in a couple of seconds and able to chase after the guy who shot him...
Method
Mmmm aren't abstract game mechanics fun?

It could be argued that repeated blows to your body armor cause your character to pass out from the pain of broken ribs and bruises to internal organs.

I think we can all agree that must have hurt like hell. I doubt the guy was in peak physical condition after taking a hit like that... eek.gif
SL James
Or it could be argued that if you are injured badly enough to suffer penalties to actions because your body's natural compensation mechanisms are overwhelmed then perhaps said penalties are justified, but in combat that lasts between 10-15s fully soaking damage is just that--fully soaking any damage that would otherwise be immediately debilitating.
Bob the Ninja
QUOTE (Cynic project)
QUOTE (Bob the Ninja @ Aug 2 2005, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (apple @ Aug 2 2005, 08:40 PM)

Um the back is caused by SR4. If SR4 wasn't coming out then they would have had more resources for the other books. Seeing as all the other books have about equal footing as any other book, besides SR4, no other books will be shafted out the resources they need.

Bob, if you wish to be a ninja you must first out think the Tick.

I realize that my words may be hard to grasp Cynic, so I'm going to use simle sentences. The newsletter said that all the core SR4 books will be out in 12 months. Adam further clarified this by stating that it will be 18 months.

Still with me? Now, I mentioned earlier that Fanpro still had a few SR3 books to be put out. Since Fanpro manages only 2-3 books per year at best, this release schedule seems overly optimistic. The best estimate is to take whatever Fanpro says as a release date and multiply by 2. So, 18X2=36 months, or 3 years. Being as this is consistent with the SR3 core books, I take this as the most likely schedule.
JBlades
QUOTE (mmu1)
Yeah, 'cause people get knocked unconscious by non-penetrating hits on body armor all the time... sarcastic.gif

Um, yes. Yes they do. That is a news story because it is exceptional... wink.gif
Adam
Still with me? Now, I mentioned earlier that Fanpro still had a few SR3 books to be put out. Since Fanpro manages only 2-3 books per year at best, this release schedule seems overly optimistic.

That's simply not true, for a few reasons.

#1: FanPro is not limited to Shadowrun; this year alone there have been 8 new titles and 3 reprints/revised titles published for Classic BattleTech [a couple of those are in transit now and will be available by the end of the month]. What's the difference there? Classic BattleTech developer Randall Bills doesn't have to deal with as much business stuff as Rob does, and he also has an assistant developer, which Rob doesn't have.

#2: We've NEVER put out only two titles a year for Shadowrun -- even 2004 saw three titles published, and yes, it was was exceptionally lean due to a lot of development time being spent on large titles like Shadows of Europe [240 pages] and Shadows of Asia [232 pages] and Shadowrun Fourth Edition [352 pages, 360 in the deluxe edition]

#3: "At best", we've released six books for Shadowrun in a single year, not counting reprints and revisions.

Is the new release schedule optimistic? Yeah -- it's going to be hard work, and a lot of it. Onward and upward; we're ready for the challenge.
SL James
I thought there were five SR books put out last year.

Or maybe I just got five books last year... Hmm...
Cheops
Yeah LRG and RBG both planned huge things for ED and they both suck monkey dick so why should we be optimistic about SR4 or any new products for it?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Method)
I think we can all agree that must have hurt like hell.

Judging from the descriptions I've heard from people who have taken bullets to adequate body armor, no, I don't agree with that.

~J
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Cheops)
Yeah LRG and RBG both planned huge things for ED and they both suck monkey dick so why should we be optimistic about SR4 or any new products for it?

Because FanPro is not LRG or RBG?
Ellery
Keep in mind that firing a weapon imparts more energy to the shooter than being hit does to the target. If body armor was as effective as a gun at distributing the energy in a pleasant way, being shot would hurt less than shooting.
mmu1
QUOTE (Ellery)
Keep in mind that firing a weapon imparts more energy to the shooter than being hit does to the target. If body armor was as effective as a gun at distributing the energy in a pleasant way, being shot would hurt less than shooting.

Doesn't change the reality of how much injury bullets stopped by body armor inflict.
Kagetenshi
Though that was my initial reaction, if you reread it the statement is agreeing with us.

~J
Gildashard
When someone fires a weapon though, their arms can act as recoil compensation and the energy is distributed.

The bullet hitting the target focuses the same energy into a small area, though body armor could help distribute the force.

Then there's shock factor.

I think this really dpends on the armor and the force of the weapon. A 22 caliber weapon fired at that solider would little to no effect. A 50 calbier though will knock you on your ass causing some momentart stun from blow. I imagine the effects would wear off after a minute though.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Cheops)

Seeing as how RBG hasn't released a print product yet, don't you think this is just a little bit premature?
Kagetenshi
No!

~J
Taki
QUOTE (Ellery)

Same issue for a simple fist hit.
The point is : the person firing or hitting will have a much wider absorption of the kinetic energy because of the adapted position, and the area of absorption is smaller for the person taking the hit.
Even with a good protection a bullet will mark you with a huge bruise.
In certains conditions I reckon you could be quite correct : a joe without any skill fires his gun, break his wrist, and a big guy taking the bullet on his very good protection (he is prepared), just take a bruise or nothing (depending of the caliber)
Ellery
Well, it all depends on how well the body armor temporally and spatially distributes the impact of the bullet, doesn't it? If you're taking lots of stun damage (getting lots of bad bruises), the answer is probably "not very well".
Taki
QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 5 2005, 04:53 AM)
Well, it all depends on how well the body armor temporally and spatially distributes the impact of the bullet, doesn't it?  If you're taking lots of stun damage (getting lots of bad bruises), the answer is probably "not very well".

I wouldn't say that. Transforming a lot of kinetic energy concentrated in a very small area to a huge "bruise" should be considered as a real efficient protection (as the default is having a big hole in the body).
By the way [EDIT replace body armor by: ] Dermal Armor is worn under the skin I think, then it is a good way to have aggravated bruises as the skin is squashed between the hit and the armor. Doesn't it make sense ?

- huh man, I've been shoot, I suffer from aggravated bruises !
- Medikit, Medikit !!!

biggrin.gif
Ellery
"Body armor" is the name given to protective devices such as kevlar vests. Maybe in 2070 it will mean dermal sheathing or whatever, but not today.

Depending on how the armor is structured, it could dampen the impact enough so that you wouldn't be in danger of even a bruise. You'd probably need kevlar/plate/gel/plate/padding in order to do that, which would be a bit bulky.
Taki
I have corrected my last post (body / dermal armor), thanks for pointing that out Ellery. I wich I would speak english and write it as my mother language ...

Assuming you have a regular military full body armor, I agree with you, it should avoid direct damages from any gun without APDS.
The only remaining damage could be done by falling on the ground.
With burst fire it could be different ... as with powerful blow
Synner
QUOTE (Bob the Ninja @ Aug 3 2005, 09:35 PM)

I realize that my words may be hard to grasp Cynic, so I'm going to use simle sentences. The newsletter said that all the core SR4 books will be out in 12 months. Adam further clarified this by stating that it will be 18 months.

Still with me? Now, I mentioned earlier that Fanpro still had a few SR3 books to be put out. Since Fanpro manages only 2-3 books per year at best, this release schedule seems overly optimistic. The best estimate is to take whatever Fanpro says as a release date and multiply by 2. So, 18X2=36 months, or 3 years. Being as this is consistent with the SR3 core books, I take this as the most likely schedule.

And then again - you might both want to consider the off-chance that the German Newsletter is actually referring to the German release schedule and that they intend to release the German versions of the rule books within a 12 month period of the German release of SR4... or that someone got the original translation wrong and it was meant to be within 12 months from the first core rules supplement to the last...
Ellery
If the German release schedule is 12 months long while the English version is 18, it means that there will be no German version of SR4 for at least six months, and the last book will be translated six months faster than SR4 (or the last will appear in German first and be translated to English, which would be fine, if a little atypical).

If the English release schedule is 18 months long but there is only 12 months from the first core rules supplement to the last, it means that the first core rules supplement isn't going to appear for at least 6 months. That would be rather disappointing, although given there will be more potential freelancers who better understand SR4 rules after SR4 is out, I guess a delay could make some sense.
Serbitar
The books will be published when they are published. No need to argue about that. Not that much difference between 12 and 18 month and they are subject to change anyway.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Ellery)
it means that there will be no German version of SR4 for at least six months

Shadowrun 4.01D is scheduled for release at the SPIEL fair in October.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012