IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Logo for SR4, thoughts feelings..
What do you think of the new logo?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 140
Guests cannot vote 
Shadow
post Aug 8 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

Please discuss your views here.

Shadowrun 4th ed logo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 8 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

It's unimpressive, non-distinctive, and amateurish. They would have been far better off going with one inspired by the original logo, or just sticking with the S and letting it speak for itself.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Aug 9 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #3

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

It's modern, chromed, sleek, implies all the aspects of neotribal technology and is centrist. I liked it.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 9 2005, 01:05 AM
Post #4

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

no better or worse than any of the others...

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Aug 9 2005, 01:24 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

It's an impressive evolution of the SR3 logo, made to look sleeker, more technological and in step with modern imagery and ideas. The retention of the tribal 'S' as a backdrop instead of part of the word itself reinforces the iconic nature of the logo, and gives it a greater weight. The game is as much associated with that symbol as with the name 'shadowrun' itself, and the symbol establishes a mythological component to the very mention of the game's name (for those who aren't already neck deep in the mythology, that is).

Nicely construced, good colours that evoke the emotional style that the game takes as its standard, and a futuristic look that tells the casual viewer a good deal of what the game world is about without ever cracking a book. Well done, overall.

+Quote Post
Samoth
post Aug 9 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 875

should have stuck with the original logo, but this isn't bad.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 9 2005, 03:31 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Sucks. The worst so far, IMO.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 9 2005, 03:42 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

I actually prefer it over all the past logos, personally.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Aug 9 2005, 03:50 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

It is fine, a nice enough change. Nothing was broken.

+Quote Post
Toa
post Aug 9 2005, 04:31 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,068

The only thing I don't like is that the relocation of the "S" made the title somewhat downward centered, leaving lots of empty space next to the upper half of the "S".

+Quote Post
Sicarius
post Aug 9 2005, 04:37 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,270

Better than SR3.

Still nothing compared to the old skull logo. (IMHO)

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 9 2005, 05:17 AM
Post #12

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

It looks nice and .... streamlined.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 9 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

To play on the phrasing of another poster, it's an unimpressive evolution of the SR3 logo with a vain attempt to look sleeker and more technological, dropping substance for style and not even managing to get the style down (the stylized S becoming nothing more than a funky pointless shape in the background is particularly offensive). The balance is completely off leaving an unfilled void. I actually like the style they've done most of the word itself in, but when you add everything else it's definitely too little too late.

To put it another way, the SR3 logo draws attention to the word "Shadowrun". This logo draws attention to a shape in the middle of a word. The word is still "Shadowrun", but is now optional reading.

~J, desperate for something, anything that he'll actually like so that he won't look quite so much like a poo-flinging monkey.

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Aug 9 2005, 05:50 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

I give it about 1+1/2 thumbs up.

+Quote Post
Bandwidthoracle
post Aug 9 2005, 08:20 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,672

I like this, of course I didn't like the skull so I may be in the minority.

+Quote Post
flowswithdrek
post Aug 9 2005, 11:42 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 3,837

The skull logo was the best, not bad me thinks, but lets face it it could have been a whole lot worse.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 9 2005, 11:45 AM
Post #17

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle @ Aug 9 2005, 02:20 AM)
I like this, of course I didn't like the skull so I may be in the minority.

The original skull logo always struck me as more polished version of something a high school rebel would sketch on the back of his notebook next to the AC/DC logo and right above the scene of Gravedigger driving over the school building. *shrug*

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 9 2005, 01:57 PM
Post #18

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

I think so too blakkie, but it was totally cool that way. They´ve kept it for SR Duels, so it must have been a viable option. The new logo is way better than the SR3 one in any case.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 9 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #19

Dragon

QUOTE (mintcar)
I think so too blakkie, but it was totally cool that way. They´ve kept it for SR Duels, so it must have been a viable option. The new logo is way better than the SR3 one in any case.

I guess. I just found it to clash so much with the SR game world. I don't think much of the SR3 logo, but i STILL find it difficult to wrap my head around associated the SR1/SR2 "cow skull" with SR. It just lacks any sense of an urban feel for me, even the urban wastelands.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 9 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I don't know why you keep referring to it as a "cow skull," especially considering the horns. It was clearly a symbol of the occult within the game. The scroll hinted at a medieval flavor, but the circuitry within it hinted at the cybernetic nature of it all. It looks aged and 80'sish, but it wouldn't have been very hard to update it to a more modern look just by playing with the coloration and selecting a new font for the text itself. They could have even incorporated the 3rd Edition's "tribal S" itself into it.

The point is (regarding both the 3rd Edition and this new one) that the new logo does nothing to impart what the game is about. It's just a bland and unimpressive word with a curious symbol behind it, and it certainly isn't very memorable at all. Doubly so when coupled with the atrocious cover art.

If anything, it's going to turn more new players away from it than towards it. There may be a surge of sales at the very beginning from people who've heard about it and are interested in seeing it, but it's not going to be due to the cover or even the content of the game. (Though I'm sure those responsible for such things will believe as much. They certainly did with 3rd Edition, thinking the cartoony feel of the artwork was part of the reason it had an increase in sales, as has been mentioned a few times in the distant past here.)

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Aug 9 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

In the Earthdawn Dragons pdf on page 37 Mountainshadow clearly states that some dragons have horns like a ram's. Let us let that issue rest from now on because we know the skull is a dragon's.

+Quote Post
Steadfast
post Aug 9 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 1,595

That is no Logo. It is a title. The only thing that qualifies as a logo is the snake tribal, which they insisted on putting behind the font.

Other than that, it looks ok, but I don't think you'll see this often. It somehow does not get the idea aross, that it IS a logo, but well, it can be me after all.

regards
Daniel

+Quote Post
Mr. Man
post Aug 9 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,015

It isn't so much bad as it is uninspired.

Meh.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 10 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #24

Dragon

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 9 2005, 08:43 AM)
I don't know why you keep referring to it as a "cow skull," especially considering the horns.  It was clearly a symbol of the occult within the game.

Because it looks a lot like a freaked-out, stylized cow skull? :P Such as the one in Deadlands. The banner hid a lot of the horn's curl, or i'd say big horn sheep. But that wouldn't make sense at all. Not that a cow does either.

"Clearly"? It really isn't clear WTF it is. I guess you could come to the word "occult" from freaked-out, stylized. An occult cow, or on closer inspection an occult big horn sheep. ;)

Not that the faux west coast native "S" is any more clear, but at least it's blandness minimizes the damage.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Aug 10 2005, 01:49 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

I repeat:

In the Earthdawn Dragons pdf on page 37 Mountainshadow clearly states that some dragons have horns like a ram's. Let us let that issue rest from now on, because we know the skull is a dragon's.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.