Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Logo for SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadow
Please discuss your views here.

Shadowrun 4th ed logo
Ol' Scratch
It's unimpressive, non-distinctive, and amateurish. They would have been far better off going with one inspired by the original logo, or just sticking with the S and letting it speak for itself.
Kanada Ten
It's modern, chromed, sleek, implies all the aspects of neotribal technology and is centrist. I liked it.
hobgoblin
no better or worse than any of the others...
Sharaloth
It's an impressive evolution of the SR3 logo, made to look sleeker, more technological and in step with modern imagery and ideas. The retention of the tribal 'S' as a backdrop instead of part of the word itself reinforces the iconic nature of the logo, and gives it a greater weight. The game is as much associated with that symbol as with the name 'shadowrun' itself, and the symbol establishes a mythological component to the very mention of the game's name (for those who aren't already neck deep in the mythology, that is).

Nicely construced, good colours that evoke the emotional style that the game takes as its standard, and a futuristic look that tells the casual viewer a good deal of what the game world is about without ever cracking a book. Well done, overall.
Samoth
should have stuck with the original logo, but this isn't bad.
Bigity
Sucks. The worst so far, IMO.
Demonseed Elite
I actually prefer it over all the past logos, personally.
Jrayjoker
It is fine, a nice enough change. Nothing was broken.
Toa
The only thing I don't like is that the relocation of the "S" made the title somewhat downward centered, leaving lots of empty space next to the upper half of the "S".
Sicarius
Better than SR3.

Still nothing compared to the old skull logo. (IMHO)
Critias
It looks nice and .... streamlined.
Kagetenshi
To play on the phrasing of another poster, it's an unimpressive evolution of the SR3 logo with a vain attempt to look sleeker and more technological, dropping substance for style and not even managing to get the style down (the stylized S becoming nothing more than a funky pointless shape in the background is particularly offensive). The balance is completely off leaving an unfilled void. I actually like the style they've done most of the word itself in, but when you add everything else it's definitely too little too late.

To put it another way, the SR3 logo draws attention to the word "Shadowrun". This logo draws attention to a shape in the middle of a word. The word is still "Shadowrun", but is now optional reading.

~J, desperate for something, anything that he'll actually like so that he won't look quite so much like a poo-flinging monkey.
apollo124
I give it about 1+1/2 thumbs up.
Bandwidthoracle
I like this, of course I didn't like the skull so I may be in the minority.
flowswithdrek
The skull logo was the best, not bad me thinks, but lets face it it could have been a whole lot worse.
blakkie
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle @ Aug 9 2005, 02:20 AM)
I like this, of course I didn't like the skull so I may be in the minority.

The original skull logo always struck me as more polished version of something a high school rebel would sketch on the back of his notebook next to the AC/DC logo and right above the scene of Gravedigger driving over the school building. *shrug*
mintcar
I think so too blakkie, but it was totally cool that way. Theyīve kept it for SR Duels, so it must have been a viable option. The new logo is way better than the SR3 one in any case.
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar)
I think so too blakkie, but it was totally cool that way. Theyīve kept it for SR Duels, so it must have been a viable option. The new logo is way better than the SR3 one in any case.

I guess. I just found it to clash so much with the SR game world. I don't think much of the SR3 logo, but i STILL find it difficult to wrap my head around associated the SR1/SR2 "cow skull" with SR. It just lacks any sense of an urban feel for me, even the urban wastelands.
Ol' Scratch
I don't know why you keep referring to it as a "cow skull," especially considering the horns. It was clearly a symbol of the occult within the game. The scroll hinted at a medieval flavor, but the circuitry within it hinted at the cybernetic nature of it all. It looks aged and 80'sish, but it wouldn't have been very hard to update it to a more modern look just by playing with the coloration and selecting a new font for the text itself. They could have even incorporated the 3rd Edition's "tribal S" itself into it.

The point is (regarding both the 3rd Edition and this new one) that the new logo does nothing to impart what the game is about. It's just a bland and unimpressive word with a curious symbol behind it, and it certainly isn't very memorable at all. Doubly so when coupled with the atrocious cover art.

If anything, it's going to turn more new players away from it than towards it. There may be a surge of sales at the very beginning from people who've heard about it and are interested in seeing it, but it's not going to be due to the cover or even the content of the game. (Though I'm sure those responsible for such things will believe as much. They certainly did with 3rd Edition, thinking the cartoony feel of the artwork was part of the reason it had an increase in sales, as has been mentioned a few times in the distant past here.)
Jrayjoker
In the Earthdawn Dragons pdf on page 37 Mountainshadow clearly states that some dragons have horns like a ram's. Let us let that issue rest from now on because we know the skull is a dragon's.
Steadfast
That is no Logo. It is a title. The only thing that qualifies as a logo is the snake tribal, which they insisted on putting behind the font.

Other than that, it looks ok, but I don't think you'll see this often. It somehow does not get the idea aross, that it IS a logo, but well, it can be me after all.

regards
Daniel
Mr. Man
It isn't so much bad as it is uninspired.

Meh.
blakkie
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 9 2005, 08:43 AM)
I don't know why you keep referring to it as a "cow skull," especially considering the horns.  It was clearly a symbol of the occult within the game.

Because it looks a lot like a freaked-out, stylized cow skull? nyahnyah.gif Such as the one in Deadlands. The banner hid a lot of the horn's curl, or i'd say big horn sheep. But that wouldn't make sense at all. Not that a cow does either.

"Clearly"? It really isn't clear WTF it is. I guess you could come to the word "occult" from freaked-out, stylized. An occult cow, or on closer inspection an occult big horn sheep. wink.gif

Not that the faux west coast native "S" is any more clear, but at least it's blandness minimizes the damage.
Jrayjoker
I repeat:

In the Earthdawn Dragons pdf on page 37 Mountainshadow clearly states that some dragons have horns like a ram's. Let us let that issue rest from now on, because we know the skull is a dragon's.
blakkie
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
I repeat:

In the Earthdawn Dragons pdf on page 37 Mountainshadow clearly states that some dragons have horns like a ram's. Let us let that issue rest from now on, because we know the skull is a dragon's.

Yes, to someone that wasn't privy to Earthdawn trivia it is clearly a dragon skull. :^)

Shortly after starting to play the game i surmised it wasn't actually a cow because there is a striking derth of cow references, mundane or occult, in the game. The eye sockets and skull shape didn't seem right to me for a troll. Nor can i remember an troll picture with horns that curly. But i really didn't know WTF they were getting at with it so i figured i'd go with troll and that the artist had taken license that living trolls have stageringly chubby cheeks. Or maybe so some wierd freaky beast i hadn't run into. Without the skin on it's harder to place it.

So crystal clear it is. wobble.gif

P.S. Are there any SR pictures of a dragon with horns like that? Or do you really have to go to Earthdawn to determine this?
Jrayjoker
Just ED AFAIK
Bull
For what it's worth, the official answer from FASA in the 2nd ed days was "We don't know what it is". They just thought it looked cool.

ED dragons may have tossed in the line about rams horns to "retcon" the skull officially as a dragons skull, or it may have been coincidence. Considering that by the time ED Dragons was even written (Which was I think about 2 years before LRG published it?), the Skull logo was already gone and replaced with the new SR3 logo. And of course the fact that ED as a whole was published 3 years after SR1 came out...

<shrug> Now play nice kids... smile.gif

Bull
fistandantilus4.0
I like it although it doesn't make me do flips. But I don't really like the cover anyways. I might just get the limited edition, just so that the cover is different ( it is just a foil cover w/ no cover right?)
mintcar
And of course the fact that ED as a whole was published 3 years after SR1 came out...

I was just going to point that out. Itīs very unlikely to be a dragonīs skull. Itīs probably a goatīs skull or something. Intended as stated to hint at the occult parts of the game.

That old logo is IMO the only of the SR logos that has iconic qualities, no matter what you might think of it. I like the new one ok, but the old one has stuck to the mind of people who never played the game or any rpg, even. Itīs been on the cover of at least two moderatly successful video games. I would be willing to bet the new MS Shadowrun videogame will have a variant of the skull on the box.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (mintcar @ Aug 10 2005, 09:14 AM)
And of course the fact that ED as a whole was published 3 years after SR1 came out...

I was just going to point that out. Itīs very unlikely to be a dragonīs skull. Itīs probably a goatīs skull or something. Intended as stated to hint at the occult parts of the game.

That old logo is IMO the only of the SR logos that has iconic qualities, no matter what you might think of it. I like the new one ok, but the old one has stuck to the mind of people who never played the game or any rpg, even. Itīs been on the cover of at least two moderatly successful video games. I would be willing to bet the new MS Shadowrun videogame will have a variant of the skull on the box.

I highly doubt that the skull will be on the box, unless FASA Studios owns that particular image. Even then, I would expect the developers to come up with something a bit more indicative of the gameplay. Really, who wants to play a disembodied skull?
mintcar
Weīll see. But seeing that logo will bring back SNES memories for a lot of people who has long forgotten the title of the game. Would be foolish not to catch their fancy when it would be so easy to do so.
TheBovrilMonkey
It's ok, nothing special though.

I really don't like the font used for 'fouth edition' though, most of it's fine but the F irritates me, it really doesn't need the downstroke that makes it look very close to a P.
Tomahawk
It's a rams skull...take a look at this link...almost looks identical.

Rams Skull

Compare to
Catsnightmare
Beg to differ, just look at the placement of the eye sockets. Whatever the Shadowrun logo skull is, it's predatory, got those forward facing, stereoscopic vision eye-set needed to track and target moving prey to pounce upon it. While the goat skull has the wide-set eyes to cover the maximum peripheral vision range to watch for predators about to pounce on it.

It's two different critters or else a really nasty carnivorous meta-varient goat.
Sabosect
Personally, I think of the original logo when I think of Shadowrun. The logo was on Never Deal With a Dragon, the book that got me hooked on the game.

In any case, I don't really like this cover. It doesn't have the same dark, edgy feel I associate with the game. It almost seems like they are trying to move SR in the direction of being more heroic, maybe towards D20 Modern in style. That's not a direction I find particularly pleasing. The logo merely adds to that feel.
kylleran
I'm only going to say this once. It's a Hellcow skull. Hellcow.
2bit
Not a dragon. The empty nasal socket at the bottom of the skull should immediately tell you that it's a creature with a soft nose. It's obviously a hellcow.
blakkie
QUOTE (2bit)
Not a dragon. The empty nasal socket at the bottom of the skull should immediately tell you that it's a creature with a soft nose. It's obviously a hellcow.

Or a hellgoat. devil.gif
Sabosect
No, you're both wrong. It's a heavencow.
Euchrid
I loved the skull, regardless of what animal it came from (I'm leaning towards heavily stylised goat myself) because it lends strong horror overtones to the setting, and that's the style which I'm trying to emphasise in my own game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012