Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possible Stupid Question, Encrypting Decrypting Cyberware Radio
Sicarius
post Aug 15 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,270

What is the mechanism for encrypting a cyber head ware radio transmission? By the same token, what mechanism exists for decrypting radio transmission for a headware commlink? I know that the broadcast encryption and decryption is available, but I didn't know if that was just for regular radios and scanners, or would also cover headware radios, and comlinks.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aku
post Aug 16 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

i would say since, AFAIK, you can't buiy encrypt/decrypt "aftermakret" (i.e. it has to be built into the radio) that you can buy any sort of radio with the decption that you want to have in it, headware or not.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Aug 16 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

When the headware radio was first introduced, back in the Street Samurai Catalog, there were seperate encryption (.1 essence) and decryption (.2 essence) units that you could tack on to your headware radio. I don't know if they've kept these or not. Of course, the rules for headware radios and phones in SR have been pretty stupid generally, so just comming up with your own houserules might be better.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Aug 16 2005, 08:09 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

The cryto circuit HD doesn't cost any essense when installed with a radio or phone and the scramble breaker only costs .1. If you're gonna get those get a Commlink too, it's cost is halved so it's only .15 when packaged.

+Quote Post
Sicarius
post Aug 16 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,270

I don't have the book that contains those items, any details?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Aug 16 2005, 05:30 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

if you've got SR3, you've got the book that contains those items. all you do is apply the encryption/decryption costs to your headware radio, and voila.

incidentally, unless you're trying to break the encryption on other people's transmissions, you don't need decryption on your radio in order to communicate. encryption includes automatic decryption of any signal you've got the key for.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Aug 16 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

Since so many items have Datajacks, I would think an appropriately set up PocSec or small laptop would be able to run a decrypt program

The computer would act as the microphone and speaker, and relay the signals to/from the radio/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.