IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who will stick with SR3?
Will you switch to SR4, or stick to the old rules?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 207
Guests cannot vote 
Jürgen Hubert
post Sep 1 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,453

Out of curiosity...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
morlock76
post Sep 1 2005, 01:16 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 7,559

The rules as they were needed the overhaul, specially in the tech department.

SR4 isnt perfect, neither is any other SR or RPG for that matter.

With the less clutter I may be able to attract more player to it and get back at GMing.

Ill think Ill convert my "Queen Euphoria" to SR4 sometime and see what happens.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 1 2005, 01:23 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

You probably should have put in a few more options. Like "Convert some time this year", "Convert to SR4 when our campaign timeline makes it there", "Convert to SR4 when one or more of the supplmental books come out", "Not sure yet", and "SR4what? Who? Huh, i thought this was a recipeswap board?".

+Quote Post
Marc Hameleers
post Sep 1 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 7,636

My option isn't there..

We weren't playing shadowrun, a fter a second try to run shadowrun 3rd again came bogged down in rules.

A short while ago, in anticipation of Shadowrun 4, we used Savage Worlds in the Shadowrun setting.

Now, we will test shadowrun 4. I like what i see so far, but we still need to playtest it. My guess is that we will find the streamlined rules of the 4th edition muchmore suited for us then 3rd, and that we might use them.

Marc

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Sep 1 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

I siad switch asap, but it is most likely to be a combination, I'm in two campaigns, and one was just started and is just after YOTC, so I doubt we will change with that one.

But the other is likely to be stopped, and us starting an SR4 campaign, mainly because the GM seems eager for a more street level setting.

+Quote Post
Daishi440
post Sep 1 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 7,663

I think I'll stick with SR3 because I don't like what they have done to the background.

I liked the background, then they fast forward by 5 years, and kill off half the cast.

That sucks.

And the rules may be simpler but that doesn't necessarily make them better.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Sep 1 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #7

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

don't forget though, that IIRC, ALOT of "the cast" came from SR1 which started when? 2055? thats 15 years of criminal activity, and not the lofty, easy tax evasion stuff either

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Sep 1 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #8

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

I need to play test it first. I know I still have a few things Ill keep my Sr3 books close at hand for though.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Sep 1 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

I haven't played a real serious session of SR since 3rd Ed came out because at the same time the transition from school to university scattered my gaming group throughout the country.
So while I own many SR3 books and am quite aware of the ongoing plotlines I don't actually know most of the rules (especially Matrix and Magic).

To me SR4 is very welcome. It finally overcomes much of the clumsiness and stupidity of the former editions ("SR1 had broken concealability/weapon damage/weight rules, SR2 had broken concealability/weapon damage/weight rules - we must keep them in SR3!").
I feel inspired to restart Shadowrun. Learn new (supposedly simpler and maybe even better) rules, found a new group, create new characters, tell new stories.

So I'm very much looking forward to October - travelling to the Essen SPIEL fair, visiting the FanPro booth and grabbing my copy of SR4.01d.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Sep 1 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

QUOTE (Aku)
don't forget though, that IIRC, ALOT of "the cast" came from SR1 which started when? 2055? thats 15 years of criminal activity, and not the lofty, easy tax evasion stuff either

IIRC, SR1 began in 2050 or so.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Sep 1 2005, 08:16 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,741

I'm playing both SR3 and SR4. The reason is that the style of SR4 makes it incompatible with certain styles of play and unable to be truly adaptive.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 1 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Sabosect)
I'm playing both SR3 and SR4. The reason is that the style of SR4 makes it incompatible with certain styles of play and unable to be truly adaptive.

I'm curious what style that is? Not saying you are wrong. In fact it makes sense that it would be difficult to be overly flexible with something you don't know very well.

Just curious.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 1 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #13

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

I will stick with SR3 for now for two reasons

First: the campaign arc I am running needs to play itself out Just too messy to switch over at this juncture since so much has changed. With the advance in the timeline, a number of plot devices and themes (such as decks and some implants) have been rendered obsolete.

Second: Until several of the key sourcebooks - Magic, Hacking, Cybertech, and Expanded Combat (what ever their titles will be) come out. Most of my players agree as well since they like the extra detail these supplements offer.

This will also give me time to become thoroughly familiar with the new rules. I will test things out with a couple of "Saturday Night Firefight" sessions which will not be part of the existing campaign. There will be no character conversions from SR3 since the characters will be more likely to retire from shadowrunning (of course, should they succeed on the final mission).

I am a little disappointed since I was working up the first part of the story arc as a possible adventure scenario submission. Unfortunately the changes under SR4 are so drastic in some circumstances that the entire adventure falls apart were it to be converted straight over.

Such are the fortunes of game writing.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Sep 1 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Sep 1 2005, 02:16 PM)

I'm curious what style that is? Not saying you are wrong. In fact it makes sense that it would be difficult to be overly flexible with something you don't know very well.

Just curious.

Well, for one, the ultracorp high-powered campaign. I at first thought this could be solved by a simple case of tweaking availability and build points (the SR3 solution), but then I ran afoul of the dice system and realized I would potentially have to rewrite the modifiers to make it viable. Then, while doing that, I realized the modifiers and Threshhold were meant to work together, and thus I was left at the option of reworking both or just reworking one of them. Then, I looked at the chargen system and realized I needed to test BPs with it in order to make sure I am able to maintain game balance.

At that point, I closed the PDF, took some aspirine, and pulled out my SR3 books.

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Sep 1 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,298

It's also less useful for low powered campaigns, unless by "low powered" you mean "fails almost all the time at easy stuff". In SR3, people with two dice could reliably succeed against TN2. SR4 plays more like slapstick comedy. ("I miss!" "I dodge into the bullet!" "I drive the getaway car into a wall!" "I swing at my opponent and hit myself in the face!")

+Quote Post
Raskolnikov
post Sep 1 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,525

They stumbled onto the Three Stooges: The Yukkening. They need to rebrand and put that on the shelves.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Sep 1 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (Ellery)
In SR3, people with two dice could reliably succeed against TN2.

Keep in mind that someone in SR4 with only two dice is doing something that they're not good at. For an average person (Stat 3), this is defaulting (-1 die penalty). So, for instance, your average teenager who's a first time driver trying to do "something tricky". Keep in mind that, just to have average attributes across the board, for a human, requires 320 build point characters. (1/2 points on stats 20X8 = 160). If you decide that you want to play 200 point characters, you're not just low powered, you're looking at an average attribute of less than 3. That's characters with mental or physical issues.

+Quote Post
Autarkis
post Sep 2 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,566

QUOTE (Ellery)
In SR3, people with two dice could reliably succeed against TN2.  SR4 plays more like slapstick comedy.

In SR3, a TN2 meant that they are -2 from the default TN4.

In SR4, this equates to getting about an extra 2 dice.

This may not be 100% accurate, since they are based on two different probability schemes, but is essentially true.

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Sep 2 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Children have "mental and physical issues", i.e. the issue that they're not grown up yet.

A two dice bonus in SR4 does help with reliability, but a two-dice penalty then makes the task utterly impossible. That's not very good scaling.

Plus I'm not sure I'd characterize an 80% chance of success "reliable".

+Quote Post
Nerbert
post Sep 2 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,280

And what is it exactly that Children are supposed to be doing with such reliability?

Maybe if there were tests for soiling oneself, but there isn't one. You can just do it. Like you just did all over your argument.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Sep 2 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Or, Nerbert, like you did?

Children range in age from newborn to 18, depending on where you live. Now, you mean to tell me that all a 15 year old can do is soil themselves?

No wonder people have no faith in this generation.

+Quote Post
Ellery
post Sep 2 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

That's a very compelling argument. Clearly, there is nothing to be done between soiling oneself and being a full-fledged runner.

+Quote Post
Doomclown
post Sep 2 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 7,662

QUOTE (the_dunner)
If you decide that you want to play 200 point characters, you're not just low powered, you're looking at an average attribute of less than 3.  That's characters with mental or physical issues.

See, that sounds like a good time to me. Roll out the Wheelchair Runners!

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Sep 2 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

For some reason, I have a picture of a rigger with a chair altered to be able to do 200 kph speeding away from a pharmacy he just knocked over, cackling with glee at getting two years's of his prescriptions for the price of only two canings.

+Quote Post
Nerbert
post Sep 2 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,280

QUOTE (Ellery @ Sep 1 2005, 07:41 PM)
That's a very compelling argument.  Clearly, there is nothing to be done between soiling oneself and being a full-fledged runner.

Thats why I asked the question Ellery. What kind of tests are these children doing? They only have two dice! Why are people letting them drive the getaway car? Why are they dodging bullets and getting into fist fights with obviously more skilled and able combatants? Why are they doing these things?

This is the core of the issue. People with two dice won't fail at these tests because they won't be bother to do them. They'll let someone else do them and then they will go do something that they are much better at. And if worst comes to worst why, my oh my, thats what edge is there for!

Oh complain long and hard about all of these mechanics and then flat out refuse to put them in the context of any kind of reason. "People with 25 dice will succeed at everything!" you declare, waving your calculator in the air like it makes your point relevant. Well holy crap, they have 25 dice, why would they fail!? They have natural ability and trained skill and augmentation that defy the capacity of any logical or even illogical wazoo! If the so called "normal dice penalties" don't effect them, well so be it, they're damn good at what they do and they worked hard to get there. And yes, throwing a lot of BP and being able to do this at character creation is precisely the same as "the character worked hard to get where he is."

Children with two dice doing this and that. Who cares if they fail? They're not supposed to be playing with guns or driving anyway.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.