Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Low-power Start, Lowering the BP?
Doomclown
post Sep 9 2005, 01:54 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,662

So, obviously, a lot of people have commented that it's too easy to start with a character that is already more or less an olympian at their chosen specialty, leaving only "branching out" as an outlet for further development. The readily apparent solution is to lower the number of starting build points to 300 (say), and simply start the characters lower on the totem pole.

My question, then, is: has anyone tried this, or otherwise formed an opinion on the subject?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 9 2005, 02:41 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

No. If you want to give people more room to expand but don't want to relax caps you'd just ake the caps hard. If you don't let people start with any skills past 4, the PCs will suck at everything, rather than being damned awesome at one thing and sucking at everything else.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Doomclown
post Sep 9 2005, 02:55 AM
Post #3

Target

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
No. If you want to give people more room to expand but don't want to relax caps you'd just ake the caps hard. If you don't let people start with any skills past 4, the PCs will suck at everything, rather than being damned awesome at one thing and sucking at everything else.

-Frank

The thing I don't like about this idea is that it makes the lack of specialization worse; every character ends up starting with fours in everything. I wouldn't consider lowering the maximum starting skill levels unless I also lowered the BPs available, so I don't have a situation where max = party average.

Lowering the skill and attribute limits by one (can only start with two 4s and one 5, and only one attribute at 5 (before racial mods)) makes sense to me when combined with lowering starting BPs to 300-350, however. And lowering starting availability to 8 or 8R or such.

400 seems to be too powerful for an extended campaign (not enough room for expansion unless you allow people to get even more rediculous numbers of dice to roll), 10 BPs would be rediculously weak... surely there's a point in between where the balance is just right for characters to be capable of handling "newly-minted shadowrunner" levels of challenges. The kind of challenges that can be surpased by good strategy and a pool of 8 dice in your best unmodified attribute + skill.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 9 2005, 03:40 AM
Post #4

Prime Runner

No matter what you lower the BP totals to, people are going to have a 5 in their prime stat and a 6 in their prime skill, and possibly even a specialization in it. That's a given. If you give people 200 points, they'll still maximize their core abilities. That's a given. The BP total just determines how much they suck at everything else.

That's what an SR4 character does - they roxxor at one task, and are about the level of a Triad Posse Member at anything else. Basically a starting character is an ordinary person with a single extraordinary talent. The stat and skill caps prevent a character from being much better than that. The BP totals are already capping you at the level of a Threat Rating 4 Grunt, and you can't min/max your way out of that.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Doomclown
post Sep 9 2005, 03:59 AM
Post #5

Target

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
No matter what you lower the BP totals to, people are going to have a 5 in their prime stat and a 6 in their prime skill, and possibly even a specialization in it. That's a given. If you give people 200 points, they'll still maximize their core abilities. That's a given. The BP total just determines how much they suck at everything else.

Yeah, that's why I suggested lowering the skill/attribute cap along with the BPs. But if you just lower the caps, players will put the leftover BPs in gear or whatever; from what I can tell, everything more or less needs to be lowered in step with each other, or you end up with, say, everyone running around with every other skill at 4, or 250k nuyen in gear, or whatever.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 9 2005, 04:19 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner

I doubled the amount of skills and nuyens that people can but with their build points, and I didn't find everyone to be the same. Really, I didn't. People get a lot of fours, but they also get a lot of ones and twos.

There is an amount of points you could give everyone that would cause them to max out, but the 400 BP, even 600 BP level isn't all that close to it.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Halabis
post Sep 9 2005, 04:23 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,773

It seems to me that people keep forgeting that 6 in a skill in SR4 is not the same as 6 in a skill in SR3. Its closer to the WW system, where as a Gm you usualy need a damn good reason for a PC to have a skill at 4 or 5. At that point they are near the peak of what anyone can be. I find it silly that most players would ever start with a 6 or a 5 in anything. If a player at my table had a 6 I would ask them just how they got to be one of the best in the world at that skill. The scales are different now. I think we need to relearn what each value means.

+Quote Post
Doomclown
post Sep 9 2005, 04:25 AM
Post #8

Target

QUOTE (Halabis)
It seems to me that people keep forgeting that 6 in a skill in SR4 is not the same as 6 in a skill in SR3. Its closer to the WW system, where as a Gm you usualy need a damn good reason for a PC to have a skill at 4 or 5. At that point they are near the peak of what anyone can be. I find it silly that most players would ever start with a 6 or a 5 in anything. If a player at my table had a 6 I would ask them just how they got to be one of the best in the world at that skill. The scales are different now. I think we need to relearn what each value means.

That's exactly right. Starting with a 6 in a skill feels to me like starting DnD as a 10th level character.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 9 2005, 04:27 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner

I find it silly that most players would ever start with a 6 or a 5 in anything.

If you don't want that to happen, start charging people linear amounts to raise their skills after chargen. As long as getting to a six is so damned expensive after character generation, it's always going to be in your interest to start with a 6 in one thing even if everything else has to be a 1.

If you go linear, it becomes more of a stylistic choice. Although even then everyone is going to want to be really good at aomething.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Halabis
post Sep 9 2005, 04:49 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,773

I find it easier just to talk to my players and tell them my expectations than to change the rules to actualy make it harder. I'll just tell them they can raise it to 6 after they've been shadowrunning long enough to actualy become one of the best in the world with guns. No need to change the rules when i could just remind my players what exactly a 6 means.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 9 2005, 07:18 AM
Post #11

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Halabis)
It seems to me that people keep forgeting that 6 in a skill in SR4 is not the same as 6 in a skill in SR3.

After 13 years of playing SR2 & SR3 it's hard to learn the difference. ;)

+Quote Post
Doomclown
post Sep 9 2005, 02:20 PM
Post #12

Target

Even the fact that characters start with a large number of 4s bothers me. Isn't that "veteran" level? How can the typical character be a veteran in a half dozen fields? That's ok for a short campaign, where you might not mind characters starting out at a high level in their careers, but it doesn't give the long-campaign feel of building from street scum to elite runner. Were my next campaign not going to be of the former type, I would be concerned.

So, by how much should I lower the BPs if I want to compensate for lowering the skill caps by one (two 4s or one 5)? Maybe I ought to just build a character who seems semi-average (3s in all attributes, a couple 4s in skills, some cyberware up to availability 8 or 10, etc), count the BP, and round up to the nearest 50?

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Sep 9 2005, 02:53 PM
Post #13

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

Iīve started making characters with my group with 300 BP total, allowing for 200 BP in attributes. Availability maxed at 8. The characters have turned out amazingly well. We want to make a group of promising street thugs, basicly. They will have very limited magic and gear. The skills will be low, leaving room for improvement. The strong point of these charcters will be attributes. They will be slightly more naturaly gifted than people around them on the street level, but otherwise similar in resources and power. Character advancement will focus on additional skills, magic powers and gear, thatīs an arrangement we have. Itīs going to be great.

+Quote Post
Doomclown
post Sep 9 2005, 03:57 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (mintcar)
Iīve started making characters with my group with 300 BP total, allowing for 200 BP in attributes. Availability maxed at 8. The characters have turned out amazingly well. We want to make a group of promising street thugs, basicly. They will have very limited magic and gear. The skills will be low, leaving room for improvement. The strong point of these charcters will be attributes. They will be slightly more naturaly gifted than people around them on the street level, but otherwise similar in resources and power. Character advancement will focus on additional skills, magic powers and gear, thatīs an arrangement we have. Itīs going to be great.

That sounds more like what I would expect for a typical campaign. What're your rules for starting skills?

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 9 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

The thing is, you can't have strong attributes on 200 BP, regardless of what your set-up is, or how many extra points you have elsewhere. That's an average of attribute of 3.5 - which means that amongst the 8 stats, the character has 4 more attribute points than a "civilian bystander". So a man on the street really isn't much different from you attribute wise. The only way a PC can stand out is if they have more skills than a normal person. Their attributes really aren't statistically different from a normal person no matter how they are arranged.

Yeah, the book says all kinds of crazy crap about how a skill of 7 is legendary and fantastic, but it really isn't. The only thing that makes things special is results that are special. A character with a skill of 6 and an attribute of 5 rolls 11 dice. That's nice and all, but remember that every brick in the wall of that field rolls 6 dice, and specialization adds 2 dice and good equipment adds 1-3.

So your guy with a maxxed out skill and attributes as high as you can afford is actually no better than a faceless corporate wageslave if he's in his element and has the latest Neonet gear. The problem with SR4 is not that starting PCs can match Fastjack with only 57 Karma under their belt (although they can). The problem is that 5 bystander interns in the Aztechnology computer sciences department working together can match Fastjack with no Karma at all.

Joe Blow Unexceptional rolls 6 dice. Using Teamwork, he can add 2 dice to another's test. Fastjack rolls 14 dice, and that's simply not a large enough bulge on faceless mooks to actually make Prime Runners noticeable.

-Frank

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 9 2005, 04:30 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

A '3' Attribute isn't really a civilian by-stander. It works out to more like the top stat of the civilian by-stander, with his others below it. Having multiple Averages isn't.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Sep 9 2005, 04:38 PM
Post #17

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (blakkie)
A '3' Attribute isn't really a civilian by-stander. It works out to more like the top stat of the civilian by-stander, with his others below it. Having multiple Averages isn't.

Doesn't that defeat the entire point of calling it "average" if on average it isn't?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 9 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #18

Dragon

QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 9 2005, 09:30 AM)
A '3' Attribute isn't really a civilian by-stander. It works out to more like the top stat of the civilian by-stander, with his others below it.  Having multiple Averages isn't.

Doesn't that defeat the entire point of calling it "average" if on average it isn't?

If you are suggesting that it has a codified and obscured meaning, yes i agree.

What do you think such a value should be called? Preferably a label using a single word, or perhaps two short ones.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Sep 9 2005, 06:04 PM
Post #19

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

I think you got him, blakkie. After all, how can a person be average if they are exeptional in one area? Joe average can not go above 3 in any attribute without leaving average behind.

Doomclown: I donīt have any special rules for skills. They arenīt that high because there isnīt that many points left if 200 of 300 are spent on physical and mental attributes. Iīm fortunate enough that my players are not very inclined to be satisfied with one maxed out skill. Such a character is boring to play and they know it.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 9 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner

QUOTE (mintcar)
Joe average can not go above 3 in any attribute without leaving average behind.

Joe Average doesn't have to go above 3 to match legendary characters with the current caps. A "standard human" who is "straight out of college" has technical skills and logic of 3. 5 of those guys working together have a compbined computer check of 14 dice - which is the same as Fastjack.

-Frank

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 9 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #21

Dragon

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (mintcar)
Joe average can not go above 3 in any attribute without leaving average behind.

Joe Average doesn't have to go above 3 to match legendary characters with the current caps. A "standard human" who is "straight out of college" has technical skills and logic of 3. 5 of those guys working together have a compbined computer check of 14 dice - which is the same as Fastjack.

-Frank

They don't use the working together mechanism for that? Page #?

+Quote Post
ef31415
post Sep 10 2005, 01:35 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 6,886

You know, it's the other direction that's bugging me.

A standard human -- three in every stat -- has 160 BP of stats. So your starting runner is just a little above average.

+Quote Post
Phoniex
post Sep 10 2005, 06:00 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 2,769

To me, standard 400 BP characters are basically high level thugs/starting shadowrunners/street level runners. Which is what they said when they made 4th edition, they were lowering the power level.

With 400 BP, it is a CHALLENGE to make what i would consider a playable mage/adept/technomancer that is "runner" material. Simply because the BP are not there. The idea of 300 point characters, well frightens me because you simply cant play a mage/adept/techomancer. I mean 200 BP for attributes leaves 100 BP for money, your mage/adept/techomancer quality and linked special attribute, contacts, skill and EDGE. If everyone just has clubs and etiq(street) then your fine. But you can't go on a shadowrun with characters like that. I mean you should not even know a fixer yet, just a fence. Because all you can do is go steal stuff :|

*shudder* the mage in the group would be lucky to roll 4 dice on a spellcasting test.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Sep 10 2005, 06:24 AM
Post #24

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Yes. It lowers the power level that you can be stastically better at basketball than everyone else in the world at chargen except those who are also identical to you statistically because there is a ceiling on dice pools.

Sure it lowers the power level. And I'm Santa Claus.

+Quote Post
Phoniex
post Sep 10 2005, 06:31 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 2,769

QUOTE (SL James)
Yes. It lowers the power level that you can be stastically better at basketball than everyone else in the world at chargen except those who are also identical to you statistically because there is a ceiling on dice pools.

Sure it lowers the power level. And I'm Santa Claus.

Do you really think there are going to be alot of characters with skills of 7? I mean, i can see characters with skills of 5 specialization to 7. *Do other people think thats horribly overpowered at the start of the game, do specializations "count" as skill?*

Tell me this santa, is fastjack no more thank a skill rank in your game? Is michal jordan meant to me "made" using sr4 char gen?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.