Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ritual Spellcasting Rules kill Great Ghost Dance
Kerrygold
post Sep 10 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,108

I've just read the Ritual Spellcasting Rules...

Now i'm thinking about the various limitations and the possibilities for big groups of casters to do really big ritual spells...

Limitations:
- all members must have the same tradition - no prob
- all members must know the spell - no prob
- the force of the lodge limits the force of the spell - ok -> big spell, big lodge = no prob
- the force of the lodge limits the contributing members - should be ok, too...
- the lowest ritual spellcasting skill limits the contributing members -
WHAT??? in combination of the skill limits in SR4 this makes ritual spells with more than 6 members impossible... or more then 7 members, if each member has the skill aptitude quality (everybody needs this...)

conclusion:
so the great ghost was done by max 7 dudes with skill aptitude "Ritul Spellcasting"
maybe my group should do this to...

Comments? Have i missed something?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Quix
post Sep 10 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,764

Did the dancers qualify as ritual casters? Atleast in the novels the dancers didn't even have to be magically active. I would think the GGD used them more like sacrifices then as ritual casters.

+Quote Post
Kerrygold
post Sep 10 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #3

Target

ok, maybe some dancers only provided energy for the ritual

but someone must have channeled these energy...

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Sep 10 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

Remember, the GGD used Blood Magic. That could change everything.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Sep 10 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #5

Mr. Quote-function

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Kerrygold)
conclusion:
so the great ghost was done by max 7 dudes with skill aptitude "Ritul Spellcasting"
maybe my group should do this to...

Conclusion: Just as in previous Editions, the gaming rules are "general purpose" rules on a normal gaming scale and do not reflect such special rituals like the Ghost Dance.

Just as the group programming rules in SR3 would have made it impossible to do software development on professional scale ...

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Sep 10 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

Speaking with my GM hat on, I would NEVER allow my PC's to do massive world-altering magics like a GGD, programming an AI, or other incredible things that make vast changes in the world. That would be like modern "Crips" creating a man portable "briefcase" nuke (God forbid).

Bear in mind, that in the history, the GGD was the focus of the old US's attention, and a whole country full of the best scientists couldn't come up with the hows and whys of the Dance. Granted, they at the time didn't have the modern understanding of magic that is around in the 2070's.

Still, the Dance would be considered a magical Weapon of Mass Destruction, and as such would be a highly protected and secret procedure. If you knew how to do magics that could destroy miles of territory and kill thousands, who would you teach to do it?

So it wouldn't bum me out too bad that the rules don't allow PC Dancers, it is a little out of the power range of street thugs. :D

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 10 2005, 02:42 PM
Post #7

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (apollo124)
Speaking with my GM hat on, I would NEVER allow my PC's to do massive world-altering magics like a GGD, programming an AI, or other incredible things that make vast changes in the world. That would be like modern "Crips" creating a man portable "briefcase" nuke (God forbid).

Depends on the power level of your campaign.

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Sep 10 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

True, Grinder, but EEEEP :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 10 2005, 03:01 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I could say a word here...

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Sep 10 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

Or purpose. I've been in and run games where the campaign was based around something big and world changing. Sometimes you tried to stop it, sometimes you tried to make it happens, other times you wanted to mitigate it.

If the players have it as their goal; hey great, you have a plot hook. You can always give them little dribs and drabs (An AI that destabilizes in minutes, knowledge on inefficient blood magic, etc) that if well thought out won't cause problems for your game but will give them progress.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 10 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #11

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

If a campaign is based around the "characters are able to shake the world" than i would be fine.
But i'm an long-time Earthdawn player/gm - a game which allow very legendary deeds done by the characters. At the highler circles (=levels) characters can become really powerful and change the world literally.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 10 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Ancient History)
I could say a word here...

...and the word is...? Fizzlepompf?

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Sep 10 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

The Great Ghost Dance is one of the rare events which very likely doesn't work exactly like normal ritual spellcasting, which is one of the reasons it hasn't been reproduced. It's a special case, with special conditions and techniques which the world at large does not understand.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 10 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Well, I won't bore y'all with the dull and drab details of ritual blood magic, but I will remind you that it has already been established that the Great Ghost Dance took place in many locations - multiple ritual circles throughout the continent. Daniel Howling Coyote and his personal circle of Ghost Dancers were at the center of it, of course, but they were not alone.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 10 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

I do actually wonder how anyone is ever supposed to learn ritual magic. If you have a ritual spellcasting of 1, you can only participate with 1 character - which is you. But you need a Spotter! And the Spotter is a member of the ritual, which means that if you have a Ritual Spellcasting of 1, you can't have another guy in the ritual and you can't do anything.

Worse, the book claims that ritual teams normally use spirits to act as spotters (which is reasonable, since a spotter is going to have to remain astrally active for 12 hours - the ritual leader's magic attribute), and that a spotter is a member of the ritual team. Spirits don't have Ritual Spellcasting (except Ancestor Spirits).

So the maximum number of spirits that you can have in your team is usually zero, and you need them to act as a spotter. So really, Ritual Spellcasting doesn't do anything at all.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Sep 10 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

One we all know that shadowrun forth ed was rushed. despite it being rushed and have a "few" loop holes like this. It is still better than say the NWod, and in most case better than shaodwrun third ed. I am thinking of heading to Frank's house today and working on a post of house rules that we have worked on.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 10 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Frank, you're just trolling now.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 10 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Well, I won't bore y'all with the dull and drab details of ritual blood magic, but I will remind you that it has already been established that the Great Ghost Dance took place in many locations - multiple ritual circles throughout the continent. Daniel Howling Coyote and his personal circle of Ghost Dancers were at the center of it, of course, but they were not alone.

Thanks for confirming what i thought had happened, that there were multiple groups. Although the groups did work together on the outcome.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 10 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Ancient History)

No. I'm dead serious. As written, you can't use Ritual Spellcasting unless you are an initiate. It's an easy fix, but it's not a minor problem.

The fix is:

The maximum number of additional participants in a ritual spellcasting team is the ritual spellcasting skill of the ritual leader.

Really simple, and it means that you can get any benefit at all from aprentices and the like. But it isn't just the GGD that falls apart on close examination with the new ritual spellcasting rules - it's everything about ritual spellcasting. The limitation on the number of participants must be based on the highest ritual skill rather than the lowest - otherwise it just does not work.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Sep 10 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #20

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
No. I'm dead serious. As written, you can't use Ritual Spellcasting unless you are an initiate. It's an easy fix, but it's not a minor problem.

*huh?* A skill of 2 would allow for 2 members in a group, no need for being an initiate ...

But as far as learning ritual sorcery at 1 and not being able to use it:

QUOTE (p. 175 @ SR4)
The individual acting as the spotter must
be a member of the group casting the ritual—or a spirit bound
to a member of that group—and must be able to astrally perceive
the target.

So a single person actually can use ritual sorcery with a bound spirit, since through that "or" condition a bound spirit obviously doesn't count towards that "members of the ritual team" limit ...

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 10 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #21

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (apollo124)

I hate to break this to you, but anyone could build a man-portable briefcase nuke. It is painfully easy to do. The only limiting factor is the availability of Uranium 235 or plutonium 239. Heck, if you have the fisionable materials, you don't even need a briefcase. Just take a lump of Uranium 235 weighing 50% is its supercritical mass in one hand take a identical lump in the other, and clap.

Suddenly, nuclear suicide bombers become a whole lot scarier, don't they.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 10 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #22

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Is it stated anywhere that the Great Ghost Dance was sorcery? Could it not also have been something different, perhaps something like totem channeling or conjuring?

Also, with Ritual Sorcery, can't the one member of the group also function as the Spotter, if say the target was in sight for the castings duration, or is that forbidden in SR4?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 10 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 10 2005, 12:55 PM)

No. I'm dead serious.

Oh get off it. When has a spirit ever needed to be a member of the ritual team in order to do spotting? You're making things much more complicated than they need to be.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 10 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #24

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, ritual sorcery.
sure, with only the SR4 rules you will need a spotter to land the magic.
but when the advanced magic sourcebook comes around we will most likely see all kinds of other ways, voodoo dolls anyone?

+Quote Post
Kerrygold
post Sep 10 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #25

Target

ok, my initatial post with the GGD should be provocative...

i'll agree with the general consensus: the GGD or similar rituals is nothing which should be possible for normal players, therefore we dont need rules for it

i also think the current rules are good and practical for groups of under 6 chars

BUT

what do you do as a GM with your little magical backyard conspiracy consisting of - let us say - 10 initiates
these are supposed to kick some player asses per ritual spellcasting... why cant all 10 mages participate in the ritual??
such magical groups are limited to player scale ritual spellcasting, if you obey the rules as GM... this contradicts for me with every threats, tir na nog, threats2, whatever worldspanning magical group...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.