Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ritual Spellcasting Rules kill Great Ghost Dance
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kerrygold
I've just read the Ritual Spellcasting Rules...

Now i'm thinking about the various limitations and the possibilities for big groups of casters to do really big ritual spells...

Limitations:
- all members must have the same tradition - no prob
- all members must know the spell - no prob
- the force of the lodge limits the force of the spell - ok -> big spell, big lodge = no prob
- the force of the lodge limits the contributing members - should be ok, too...
- the lowest ritual spellcasting skill limits the contributing members -
WHAT??? in combination of the skill limits in SR4 this makes ritual spells with more than 6 members impossible... or more then 7 members, if each member has the skill aptitude quality (everybody needs this...)

conclusion:
so the great ghost was done by max 7 dudes with skill aptitude "Ritul Spellcasting"
maybe my group should do this to...

Comments? Have i missed something?
Quix
Did the dancers qualify as ritual casters? Atleast in the novels the dancers didn't even have to be magically active. I would think the GGD used them more like sacrifices then as ritual casters.
Kerrygold
ok, maybe some dancers only provided energy for the ritual

but someone must have channeled these energy...
the_dunner
Remember, the GGD used Blood Magic. That could change everything.
Cochise
QUOTE (Kerrygold)
conclusion:
so the great ghost was done by max 7 dudes with skill aptitude "Ritul Spellcasting"
maybe my group should do this to...

Conclusion: Just as in previous Editions, the gaming rules are "general purpose" rules on a normal gaming scale and do not reflect such special rituals like the Ghost Dance.

Just as the group programming rules in SR3 would have made it impossible to do software development on professional scale ...
apollo124
Speaking with my GM hat on, I would NEVER allow my PC's to do massive world-altering magics like a GGD, programming an AI, or other incredible things that make vast changes in the world. That would be like modern "Crips" creating a man portable "briefcase" nuke (God forbid).

Bear in mind, that in the history, the GGD was the focus of the old US's attention, and a whole country full of the best scientists couldn't come up with the hows and whys of the Dance. Granted, they at the time didn't have the modern understanding of magic that is around in the 2070's.

Still, the Dance would be considered a magical Weapon of Mass Destruction, and as such would be a highly protected and secret procedure. If you knew how to do magics that could destroy miles of territory and kill thousands, who would you teach to do it?

So it wouldn't bum me out too bad that the rules don't allow PC Dancers, it is a little out of the power range of street thugs. biggrin.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (apollo124)
Speaking with my GM hat on, I would NEVER allow my PC's to do massive world-altering magics like a GGD, programming an AI, or other incredible things that make vast changes in the world. That would be like modern "Crips" creating a man portable "briefcase" nuke (God forbid).

Depends on the power level of your campaign.
apollo124
True, Grinder, but EEEEP eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif
Ancient History
I could say a word here...
kigmatzomat
Or purpose. I've been in and run games where the campaign was based around something big and world changing. Sometimes you tried to stop it, sometimes you tried to make it happens, other times you wanted to mitigate it.

If the players have it as their goal; hey great, you have a plot hook. You can always give them little dribs and drabs (An AI that destabilizes in minutes, knowledge on inefficient blood magic, etc) that if well thought out won't cause problems for your game but will give them progress.
Grinder
If a campaign is based around the "characters are able to shake the world" than i would be fine.
But i'm an long-time Earthdawn player/gm - a game which allow very legendary deeds done by the characters. At the highler circles (=levels) characters can become really powerful and change the world literally.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I could say a word here...

...and the word is...? Fizzlepompf?
Demonseed Elite
The Great Ghost Dance is one of the rare events which very likely doesn't work exactly like normal ritual spellcasting, which is one of the reasons it hasn't been reproduced. It's a special case, with special conditions and techniques which the world at large does not understand.
Ancient History
Well, I won't bore y'all with the dull and drab details of ritual blood magic, but I will remind you that it has already been established that the Great Ghost Dance took place in many locations - multiple ritual circles throughout the continent. Daniel Howling Coyote and his personal circle of Ghost Dancers were at the center of it, of course, but they were not alone.
FrankTrollman
I do actually wonder how anyone is ever supposed to learn ritual magic. If you have a ritual spellcasting of 1, you can only participate with 1 character - which is you. But you need a Spotter! And the Spotter is a member of the ritual, which means that if you have a Ritual Spellcasting of 1, you can't have another guy in the ritual and you can't do anything.

Worse, the book claims that ritual teams normally use spirits to act as spotters (which is reasonable, since a spotter is going to have to remain astrally active for 12 hours - the ritual leader's magic attribute), and that a spotter is a member of the ritual team. Spirits don't have Ritual Spellcasting (except Ancestor Spirits).

So the maximum number of spirits that you can have in your team is usually zero, and you need them to act as a spotter. So really, Ritual Spellcasting doesn't do anything at all.

-Frank
Cynic project
One we all know that shadowrun forth ed was rushed. despite it being rushed and have a "few" loop holes like this. It is still better than say the NWod, and in most case better than shaodwrun third ed. I am thinking of heading to Frank's house today and working on a post of house rules that we have worked on.
Ancient History
Frank, you're just trolling now.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Well, I won't bore y'all with the dull and drab details of ritual blood magic, but I will remind you that it has already been established that the Great Ghost Dance took place in many locations - multiple ritual circles throughout the continent. Daniel Howling Coyote and his personal circle of Ghost Dancers were at the center of it, of course, but they were not alone.

Thanks for confirming what i thought had happened, that there were multiple groups. Although the groups did work together on the outcome.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Ancient History)

No. I'm dead serious. As written, you can't use Ritual Spellcasting unless you are an initiate. It's an easy fix, but it's not a minor problem.

The fix is:

The maximum number of additional participants in a ritual spellcasting team is the ritual spellcasting skill of the ritual leader.

Really simple, and it means that you can get any benefit at all from aprentices and the like. But it isn't just the GGD that falls apart on close examination with the new ritual spellcasting rules - it's everything about ritual spellcasting. The limitation on the number of participants must be based on the highest ritual skill rather than the lowest - otherwise it just does not work.

-Frank
Cochise
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
No. I'm dead serious. As written, you can't use Ritual Spellcasting unless you are an initiate. It's an easy fix, but it's not a minor problem.

*huh?* A skill of 2 would allow for 2 members in a group, no need for being an initiate ...

But as far as learning ritual sorcery at 1 and not being able to use it:

QUOTE (p. 175 @ SR4)
The individual acting as the spotter must
be a member of the group casting the ritual—or a spirit bound
to a member of that group—and must be able to astrally perceive
the target.

So a single person actually can use ritual sorcery with a bound spirit, since through that "or" condition a bound spirit obviously doesn't count towards that "members of the ritual team" limit ...

hyzmarca
QUOTE (apollo124)

I hate to break this to you, but anyone could build a man-portable briefcase nuke. It is painfully easy to do. The only limiting factor is the availability of Uranium 235 or plutonium 239. Heck, if you have the fisionable materials, you don't even need a briefcase. Just take a lump of Uranium 235 weighing 50% is its supercritical mass in one hand take a identical lump in the other, and clap.

Suddenly, nuclear suicide bombers become a whole lot scarier, don't they.
Kanada Ten
Is it stated anywhere that the Great Ghost Dance was sorcery? Could it not also have been something different, perhaps something like totem channeling or conjuring?

Also, with Ritual Sorcery, can't the one member of the group also function as the Spotter, if say the target was in sight for the castings duration, or is that forbidden in SR4?
Ancient History
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 10 2005, 12:55 PM)

No. I'm dead serious.

Oh get off it. When has a spirit ever needed to be a member of the ritual team in order to do spotting? You're making things much more complicated than they need to be.
hobgoblin
hmm, ritual sorcery.
sure, with only the SR4 rules you will need a spotter to land the magic.
but when the advanced magic sourcebook comes around we will most likely see all kinds of other ways, voodoo dolls anyone?
Kerrygold
ok, my initatial post with the GGD should be provocative...

i'll agree with the general consensus: the GGD or similar rituals is nothing which should be possible for normal players, therefore we dont need rules for it

i also think the current rules are good and practical for groups of under 6 chars

BUT

what do you do as a GM with your little magical backyard conspiracy consisting of - let us say - 10 initiates
these are supposed to kick some player asses per ritual spellcasting... why cant all 10 mages participate in the ritual??
such magical groups are limited to player scale ritual spellcasting, if you obey the rules as GM... this contradicts for me with every threats, tir na nog, threats2, whatever worldspanning magical group...
hahnsoo
Some NPCs don't necessarily play by the "rules" (although adhering to the rules is definitely a virtue where I game). Look at the Black Lodge and their "tiered" initiatory scheme. I'm sure they've found a way to circumvent the maximum ritual size. Same with the Blood Mage Gestalt, and possibly the Aleph Society. Besides which, if you are running a campaign where this becomes an issue for the PCs, you probably have way too many spellcasters of the same tradition for a typical shadowrun game.
Supercilious
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 10 2005, 06:13 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 10 2005, 12:55 PM)

No. I'm dead serious.

Oh get off it. When has a spirit ever needed to be a member of the ritual team in order to do spotting? You're making things much more complicated than they need to be.

It is easy, when disappointed, to find more reasons to be disappointed.

But those particular rules are not the best written...
hahnsoo
The rules say that the spotter either needs to be a member of the ritual group, or a spirit bound to a member of the ritual group. Nowhere does it say that the spirit needs to be a member of the ritual group. You can have a Ritual Spellcasting of 1, designate yourself to be the only member of the ritual, and have a spirit bound to yourself as a spotter.
hyb
If you wanted to do 'large' magical groups that span the world, you could always slightly modify the ritual so that it is 'Tier' based.

Main Group focuses all the power of the smaller groups. Each small group of 6 people follows the normal rules for ritual stuff and sends the power to the 'main group' which takes all that power and uses it to create whatever effect the purpose is.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kerrygold @ Sep 10 2005, 04:44 PM)
i'll agree with the general consensus: the GGD or similar rituals is nothing which should be possible for normal players, therefore we dont need rules for it

I'll disagree with that. The GGD was so powerful because of the mass self-sacrifice of hundreds, possibly thousands, of people. Any PC magician with sacrificing who can convince a thousand people to drink the green koolaid in is name should be able to cast on that scale.

This, of course, begs the question of why anyone with thousands of fanatical followers is running the shadows but that is a different discussion for a different topic.
Halabis
Maybe theres a metamagic tecnique that allows the leader to include an unlimited number of aditional participants. (or maybe his grade*10, or *100 additional participants)
hobgoblin
i vote for the "speed of plot" explanation when it comes to the GGD.
fistandantilus4.0
my 'interpretation' of the GGD (winces waiting for AH to smack me) was that it was some variant of the ED ritual spell Call Forth the Mealstrom taught to the natives by 'someone', using shall we say somewhat older (ED) ritual techniques and blood magic to extend it and the amount of extra power that could be thrown into it.

That being said, I think limiting riutal sorcery to 7 members sucks. That leaves groups like the Ordo and the (remainming) Blood mage Gestalt as the only ones that can do this kind of magic, assuming blood magic lets you add more, since it does in canon ala Dragon Heart Trilogy
Ancient History
Hrm. There are a number of different suggestion for what the GGD actually did - including those who think it accomplished nothing on the physical plane (there's a great theory behind the one, too).

Anywho y'all aren't using your imaginations. Imagine, if you will, the Blood Mage Gestalt - ten initiates becoming a single entity. Now imagine seven of those entities performing ritual magic...

The Ordo Maximus has never been involved (to the best of our knowledge) in any ritual magic greater than cybermancy; and seven should be enough for that. The Black Lodge doesn't even have that sort of juice, although their tiered initiate structure might help out a bit (we'll see, we'll see).

The DHT is not your best place to look for examples of normal ritual magic - besides which, we all know blood magic is a bit more spread out these days.
blakkie
Metamagics. I'm guessing that is how they'll add a lot of stuff in Street Magic. Like larger RS groups, and alternate targeting/tracking means. [edit]and blood/sacrifical sorcery?[/edit]

EDIT: Once the layout of the metamagics takes shape, if the GM really wanted that sort of thing in their game they could make up a metamagic for linking multiple regular Ritual Magic groups into one casting entity.

P.S. The novels have added a lot of capabilities and situations to 'canon' that have never, and quite possibly will never have direct support in the rules.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Ancient History)

The Ordo Maximus has never been involved (to the best of our knowledge) in any ritual magic greater than cybermancy; and seven should be enough for that. The Black Lodge doesn't even have that sort of juice, although their tiered initiate structure might help out a bit (we'll see, we'll see).

sorry, wasn't trying to suggest that they did. Just using it as a theoretical example.

As for DHT, jsut another example.

Wow AH, that was suprisingly gentle. embarrassed.gif
Toshiaki
If I recall, you are right about the "someone" teaching the Great Ghost Dance. I think that Thais, Aina and Ysrthgrathe's son, taught it to the dancers. I'm pretty sure that there was a reference to him teaching it to an earlier group, before the Awakening, to "see what would happen." Not sure if it ever explicitly stated one way or the other about him teaching Daniel Howling Coyote's group.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Toshiaki)
If I recall, you are right about the "someone" teaching the Great Ghost Dance. I think that Thais, Aina and Ysrthgrathe's son, taught it to the dancers. I'm pretty sure that there was a reference to him teaching it to an earlier group, before the Awakening, to "see what would happen." Not sure if it ever explicitly stated one way or the other about him teaching Daniel Howling Coyote's group.

The Sixth World GGD wasn't the first time there was a Ghost Dance... there was a historical version of it that was performed in the late 1800s by certain Plains Native American tribes... as far as we know, it did not have the intended effect back then. *shrugs*

EDIT: Found a brief reference in the Wikipedia to one (of many, I will add) accounts of the Ghost Dance as a spiritual movement:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Dance
fistandantilus4.0
The Sixth World GGD wasn't the first time there was a Ghost Dance... there was a historical version of it that was performed in the late 1800s by certain Plains Native American tribes... as far as we know, it did not have the intended effect back then. *shrugs*

yeah, and according to the novel World's without Ends, that was also Thais. Aina told him that the magic wasn't strong enough yet, 'cause he was whining about how it didn't work. A lot of people get killed, and he goes off an a whine about his freakin' god complex.

So now he plays with nagas.

upgrade?
apollo124
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

[/QUOTE]
I hate to break this to you, but anyone could build a man-portable briefcase nuke. It is painfully easy to do. The only limiting factor is the availability of Uranium 235 or plutonium 239. Heck, if you have the fisionable materials, you don't even need a briefcase. Just take a lump of Uranium 235 weighing 50% is its supercritical mass in one hand take a identical lump in the other, and clap.

Suddenly, nuclear suicide bombers become a whole lot scarier, don't they.

Granted, I failed out of Nuke Power school in the Navy, but I am still fairly certain it is a little more complex than that. Refining your material is a major feat, and getting enough of it is another. A dirty bomb is easy, but bona-fide fission isn't that simple, otherwise everyone would be doing it. IMO
Clyde
As far as a powerful (and large) initiatory group goes you could always have junior members of the group doing other work. Astral patrol to defend the ritual site, for example, because the team is active and vulnerable while concentrating. They might attempt a preliminary or secondary spell - decrease attribute perhaps - that would increase the effectiveness of the main effort. There are possibilities without cranking the actual ritual group to 20 or whatever.
WhiteRabbit
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
  Just take a lump of Uranium 235 weighing 50% is its supercritical mass in one hand take a identical lump in the other, and clap.

So close, but so far. Sure, that will cause the mass to become critical, but you will not be able to hold the two pieces together long enough for the supercritical reaction to begin. That little design issue is what makes the creation of U-235 bombs interesting.
Commiekeebler
So, uh, wear gloves. Really thick ones...
WhiteRabbit
No, see, the problem is that the critical reaction would tend to force the hemispheres apart with far more force than you could apply to hold them together with just your hands, gloved or not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012