IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> now you've had a look., After initial reactions how's SR4
Now you have had a time to read/play what do you think of SR4?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 143
Guests cannot vote 
Daishi440
post Sep 11 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,663

Just curious now the initial shock wave has passed what people who have read it, or played it think.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xenith
post Sep 11 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,361

It needs work. As is I liked the rule system for SR3 better. However I enjoy the concepts in SR4 more, so I will keep playing.... but I'll be looking to set up house rules that improve the quality of play. :)

Initial dislikes: Low skill cap, lack of explaination of several skills and rule references (instruction for example), Specialization giving +2 dice instead of just +1, Low thresholds, that you use Agility for bloody everything

Initial Likes: Technomancer, More broadened skills at character creation, Reaction opposed combat, Initiative system, varyed starting magic/resonnance attribute, Edge rules, Background, Wireless world, and a number of other items that would make this list needlessly long

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Sep 11 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,086

Dislikes: No damage levels
Hates: Conjuring, skill caps, combat lacking counterhits, creation....

Result: SR3 all the way.

+Quote Post
Daishi440
post Sep 11 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 7,663

I must say my biggest problems are the lack of die pools. Especially the combat pool.

I loved in SR the way you could use your combat pool to change the style of the fight very much. It was always a decision as to how much to invest in each action, you always had to think about the future.

Now it seems more like D&D. You just have an attack bonus and a defence value, and there is nothing you can do to change those during a fight. It becomes a slogging match.

I have a whole load of other gripes too.
Low start characters
Stretched and poor fiction.
using the word fuck.
glitches not being thought through properly
Attributes better than skills.
Skill caps.
Silly start Adepts.

Things that are good
Rationalising magic.
Making decking take a sensible amount of time.
Bringing all the rules into line with each other.

But I don't see why these things couldn't have been done without breaking all the bits that already worked.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Sep 11 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Having just read the book and not playtested it yet, I voted as middle of the road as I could.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 11 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #6

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

*hands Daishi440 a note: edge?*

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 11 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Xenith @ Sep 11 2005, 12:18 PM)
It needs work. As is I liked the rule system for SR3 better. However I enjoy the concepts in SR4 more, so I will keep playing.... but I'll be looking to set up house rules that improve the quality of play. :)

Wouldn't it be easier to retrofit the concepts to SR3 than to fix the rules system to SR4?

*Hands hobgoblin a note: no.*

~J

+Quote Post
fastdos
post Sep 11 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 4,367

QUOTE (Daishi440)
I must say my biggest problems are the lack of die pools. Especially the combat pool.

I loved in SR the way you could use your combat pool to change the style of the fight very much. It was always a decision as to how much to invest in each action, you always had to think about the future.

Now it seems more like D&D. You just have an attack bonus and a defence value, and there is nothing you can do to change those during a fight. It becomes a slogging match.

I have a whole load of other gripes too.
Low start characters
Stretched and poor fiction.
using the word fuck.
glitches not being thought through properly
Attributes better than skills.
Skill caps.
Silly start Adepts.

Things that are good
Rationalising magic.
Making decking take a sensible amount of time.
Bringing all the rules into line with each other.

But I don't see why these things couldn't have been done without breaking all the bits that already worked.

I think the combat system is leaps and bounds beyond the SR3 system, specifically in the area of speed and efficiency. Instead of having these choices about assigning pools you're left to focus on the actual aspects of combat such as small unit tactics, locating cover, and so on. Vehicle combat is especially easy from the GM's POV. No longer do I have to slog through google earth looking for maps of every little street corner...

hand to hand combat comes down to dice rolls. While this is a drawback it is not enough to upset me.

I'm grateful for low starting characters. It gives the campaign a place to go that isn't Supermanland two weeks later. It's a much longer growth curve.

Fiction: It was good in spots. I get the point of using a short fictional entry to give a IC feel to what you're trying to explain. Did it work across the board? Nope. Some of the fiction left me flat. Good idea though.

Overall, I was impressed with the fluidity of the game mechanics. It made my game go alot faster.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 11 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #9

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (fastdos)
I'm grateful for low starting characters. It gives the campaign a place to go that isn't Supermanland two weeks later. It's a much longer growth curve.

You could get low-power chars even back in SR3 just by adjusting the starting BPs and maybe cap skills, attributes, availabillity and starting money.

No big difference to SR4 for me here.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 11 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #10

panda!

but to get the official BP rules you had to get the shadowrun companion. the only character generation system available in SR3's main book was the priority system...

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 11 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #11

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

That's right. I'm using that system for so long that i tend to forget that fact...

+Quote Post
Rae
post Sep 11 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,627

After my initial reaction of SKILL CAPS!?! and my second aghast attempt at creating an elf technomancer and not coming out of chargen all leet and stuff, and then actually looking through the thing--I like it.

In fact, I like it a lot. So much for first reactions being right, eh?

Mind you, there are still a few things I chafe about(beginning decker vs beginning technomancer) but all in all, this system is growing on me.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Sep 11 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #13

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

As this poll is not about initial reactions (mine is: great!), I´m waiting until I actually played it.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Sep 12 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

I haven't really had the opportunity to do much playing yet, but from reading and re-reading and re-re-reading I must say I like alot of things about the system - and some things I love.

On the surface, the rules seem alot more streamlined and intuitive than SR3. I think they've managed to finally integrate all aspects of the Sixth World into very similar, easy-to-learn rules. I really like the combat system, the wound system, and almost all of the skill system, as well as the system with qualities. I love technomancers - finally we have otaku that are actually playable in a regular runner team, though I'm iffy on them not having a datajack/commlink at least to initially 'awaken'. I like that the magic system seems to incorporate both more differences and less differences between the traditions.

However, under the surface there are alot of potential problems: low skill caps, cheap and superior attributes, near-invincible spirits, unbalancing ammo-types, odd curve for glitches...

I have a feeling I'll be using alot of house-rules with SR4, and many of their suggested alternate rules.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 12 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #15

panda!

about those technomancers. with all the data traffic going thru the air im not surprised if the initial awakening can be a bit like suddenly seeing a pink dino dancing down the street in a spam zone and wondering if one is about to go nuts :silly:

+Quote Post
Dogsoup
post Sep 12 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 806

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
about those technomancers. with all the data traffic going thru the air im not surprised if the initial awakening can be a bit like suddenly seeing a pink dino dancing down the street in a spam zone and wondering if one is about to go nuts :silly:

Iinteresting; Adds much more to the atmosphere and possibilities of roleplaying if the change might be traumatical. Sort of like goblinization really, "what am I?".

The AR concept and the day-to-day matrix interaction is HUGE and to me revolutions Shadowrun in ways I probably haven't even grasped yet. It's going to be hard to purge the dusty mental luggage from SR3 in that respect.

My only distinguished dislike is some of the art, so far.... and me being slightly vary of there being so many magical skills but I've read everything very shallow so far, so it might be nothing.

+Quote Post
sapphire_wyvern
post Sep 15 2005, 07:46 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,064

Of course, the chances are that any Technomancer would have actually used the Matrix extensively in a conventional AR fashion before their "Awakening".

So the pink dinos dancing down the street wouldn't be so much a problem as the moment where you go... "what the frag... I'm not even wearing my AR glasses?"

+Quote Post
Phoniex
post Sep 15 2005, 08:41 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 2,769

I like the new game system. But i also like how shadowrun is semi-realistic in the way it explains how things work. The new extended test rules do that marviously. But i still have concerns about the matrix, Character creation, healing, edge,and dice caps. The rules for these are, well they need a little bit of help to me. (tweaks mainly)

Otherwise my group and I are enjoying SR4 so far :)

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Sep 15 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern)
Of course, the chances are that any Technomancer would have actually used the Matrix extensively in a conventional AR fashion before their "Awakening".

So the pink dinos dancing down the street wouldn't be so much a problem as the moment where you go... "what the frag... I'm not even wearing my AR glasses?"

Well...not necessarily.

So far, the only stated 'cause' of becoming a technomancer is from having been affected when the Matrix crashed - this was before AR, and there is a small in-character chapter in SF that discusses one of these technomancers after her awakening in Stockholm...

Of course, this isn't stated explicitly in SR4 - leading to freakish things like non-cybered technomancers who just 'awakened'.

God, I hope they hurry up with the first source books...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.