Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spotting Cyberware Addons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Rotbart van Dainig
Given the Cyberware Scanner rules, if the treshold is reached, location and type (Headware/Bodyware/etc) of the implant become noted.

Additional hits past that point identify additional info (function, model, grade, etc.).

So... how many additional hits would you require a scanner to have, to spot that a Cybereye is not just a normal Cybereye, but has a Retinal Duplication, or that a Voice Modulator has the upgrade for a Secondary Pattern, too?

How difficult would it be in your opinion to differ between a normal Sim Module or a hot one that way?
booklord
I think it would be a extremely difficult to impossible for a cyberware scanner to detect these differences. And it probably wouldn't even be programmed to anyway.

First most cyberware scanners are more for finding nasties like hidden cyber-weapons, muscle enhancements, spurs, over-powered cyber-limbs, reflex enhancements, and cortex bombs. Things that represent an immediate and direct threat.

Second to reach this level the scanner would have to hack into the cyberware's software via the commlink and determine its true nature. Most corps would frown on detection systems with the ability to hack into their employees headware. It represents too big a security risk for their secrets.
Fortune
I agree with booklord. I think the scanner would detect the type of implant, but not necessarily any special features like the ones mentioned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012