Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Single Spell Use Quality
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MatrexsVigil
I was wondering if it'd be even possible to allow a character to buy a quality to use a single spell as a 'spell-like ability'. Say to emulate a shapeshifter (by taking critter form) or someone who can touch things and have them light on fire but who aren't magicians or mystic adepts themselves.

If it's possible (or if someone is willing to help me out), how much do you think it should cost (as a quality)? Should it require a real magic rating or should the person be forced to buy a 'phantom' magic rating specifically for that power?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

-P.C.
Ancient History
Take the appropriate magical edge from 2nd Ed Companion, multiply cost by 10 to find bp, and voila.
sapphire_wyvern
Would you care to post the rules from the second ed companion, for the benefit of those of us who don't have game rulebooks that are now two editions obsolete? smile.gif
Fortune
Personally, I say make them pay for the ability normally. If they want to limit the character to only one single spell, that is their choice. They still should need a Magic Attribute (and appropriate Quality).
NightmareX
I'd run it something like this

Spell Talent (Variable cost Quality)
The character is able to instinctively cast a single spell. The character begins with a Magic attribute of 1, and can increase his Magic attribute normally. The character casts his spell normally, and can learn the Spellcasting skill to use in conjunction with his spell. A character with this quality cannot become an Initiate, however, and cannot learn any magical skills other than the Spellcasting skill. A character with this quality uses Willpower + Intuition to resist Drain.

The type of the spell determines the point value of the Edge, as follows:
  • Combat spell - 5 bp
  • Detection spell - 3 bp
  • Health spell - 5 bp
  • Illusion spell - 3 bp
  • Manipulation spell - 5 bp

Full magicians, mystic adepts, and adepts cannot take this Edge
MatrexsVigil
Hey, thanks NightmareX. That looks pretty reasonable. ^^

-P.C.
NightmareX
No prob wink.gif It's actually based directly off the 2nd edition Spell Talent edge, which I kept for 3rd edition, hidden deep in the forbidden depths of my house rules document. eek.gif
Crusher Bob
The problem there is that to be 'decent' at the spell you have to spent many many more points that that.

For example, going to magic 3, spellcasting 3, and knowing how the cast just, I dunno, heal would cost you a whopping 5+20+12 = 37 BP. As a plain adept, that would get you magic 4 and adeptitide with 2 BP left over.
MatrexsVigil
Well, if any of my players actually express interest in the quality, I may discount the prices of magic/spellcasting since they're able to use it with one spell only. It's not like I'm going to allow them to become magicians/mystic adept/adepts later, and it also blocks them from becoming technomancers. Maybe for every 'level' of the quality after the first, they gain +1 magic and +1 spellcasting. I'm not going to allow most spells with this either.

-P.C.
blakkie
QUOTE (MatrexsVigil @ Sep 20 2005, 10:49 AM)
Well, if any of my players actually express interest in the quality, I may discount the prices of magic/spellcasting since they're able to use it with one spell only.  It's not like I'm going to allow them to become magicians/mystic adept/adepts later, and it also blocks them from becoming technomancers.  Maybe for every 'level' of the quality after the first, they gain +1 magic and +1 spellcasting.  I'm not going to allow most spells with this either.

-P.C.

Why not just charge for the Force/Magic associated with the ability right up front in the cost of the ability for that ability? I assume that is what the SR 2 Edge AH suggested does?

Something like:
Effective Magic 1 - 1BP
Effective Magic 2 - (1+2)BP
Effective Magic 3 - (1+2+3)BP
etc.

EDIT: Yes i know this is mixing normal PC progression type costs into chargen.

They can purchase the Spellcasting skill as at normal costs, but can Default to solely Magic without it. Not sure i'd allow increasing that after chargen, but then this is way out there house rules so that's purely a case-by-case GM call.

Limit is one ability per character (really at two you might as well be a Mystic Adept). No other magical Skills are available.
Superbum
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 20 2005, 02:50 AM)
I'd run it something like this

Spell Talent (Variable cost Quality)
The character is able to instinctively cast a single spell.  The character begins with a Magic attribute of 1, and can increase his Magic attribute normally.  The character casts his spell normally, and can learn the Spellcasting skill to use in conjunction with his spell.  A character with this quality cannot become an Initiate, however, and cannot learn any magical skills other than the Spellcasting skill.  A character with this quality uses Willpower + Intuition to resist Drain. 

The type of the spell determines the point value of the Edge, as follows:

• Combat spell - 5 bp
  • Detection spell - 3 bp
  • Health spell - 5 bp
  • Illusion spell - 3 bp
  • Manipulation spell - 5 bp

Full magicians, mystic adepts, and adepts cannot take this Edge

I like this a lot, but I would further add:

- While your Magic rating is at 1, it cannot be raised beyond that at character creation. It can be raised to a max of 6 via karma. (EDIT: I just realized that if this player had any cyber that he would then "burnout". So this addition might not make a whole lot of sense.)
- The player can purchase spellcasting at character creation but only at rank 1. It can be raised afterwards via karma. Furthermore, the player cannot ever specialize in spellcasting.

The reason I would add this is to force the player through gameplay to become better at weilding this one spell that he knows. This also still keeps the realm of magic more or less in the hands or full mages/adepts/mystic adepts.
Fortune
It should also go without saying that Essence loss should still have it's usual effect on the Magic Attribute.
MatrexsVigil
Hmm. I've talked it over with the one player who was asking me about this and all she really wants is to play a shifter. Didn't the 3rd Companion give the cost of a shifter? If it did, and you know details about it, do you think it could be used in 4ed? What should be changed?

-P.C.
blakkie
There have been at least a few attempts at porting shapeshifters already. Just punch "shifter" into the Search on the forum here. Two results you can start on are:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...9722&hl=shifter

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...9810&hl=shifter

P.S. Not sure if it is mentioned in those threads, but the Regeneration power has been seriously toned down. You may no longer need to have a special PC only rule for that power.
MatrexsVigil
Okay, thanks. ^^

-P.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012