Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free BP for Knowledge/Language Skills
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
blakkie
If my character at chargen has a Cerebral Booster is that augmented Logic used to calculate the base number of BP available for Knowledge and Language Skills? I don't see anything really saying explicitly one way or another? It isn't really that big of deal, was just wondering about people's thoughts on this.
Aku
This is what i get for not actually having the book, edited for actualy factual material thanks to Hahnsoo
hahnsoo
It specifically states in the character creation rules that augmented ratings are NOT used in other aspects of character creation. SR4 p84, 2nd column.
Nikoli
so getting enough cyber to drop you to a 4 essence doesn't make the 4th magic point jump to 25 BP?

Does that mean that getting the lucky quality doesn't reduce the price of the 5th edge point?
Rotbart van Dainig
Unmodified - you assign Resources after Skills.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Nikoli)
so getting enough cyber to drop you to a 4 essence doesn't make the 4th magic point jump to 25 BP?

Because Essence Loss reduces both your Magic AND your Magic maximum, the "final" point up to your "racial max" is still 25 points.

Even if you took the paradigm that it doesn't affect your purchasing of Magic, you'd still have a Racial Max of 6 and still have to buy up points from 1 point of Magic. Afterwards, you apply the Essence losses to magic.
Does that mean that getting the lucky quality doesn't reduce the price of the 5th edge point?
Not cyberware/bioware, therefore doesn't count.
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Not cyberware/bioware, therefore doesn't count.

However it does come after in the book.

Order in the books is rather dubious since the chargen process itself isn't entirely linear from one area to the next.
hahnsoo
To answer the original question, the Logic increase from Cerebral Booster does NOT give you more Knowledge Skill points at character creation.
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
To answer the original question, the Logic increase from Cerebral Booster does NOT give you more Knowledge Skill points at character creation.

Based on....solely the order in the book?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 21 2005, 10:14 AM)

Based on....solely the order in the book?

I gave you a page reference above. It lists the boost to Logic specifically:
SR4, p 84, 2nd column
Note that any attribute boosts gained from implants do not affect other aspects of character creation - a boost to Logic, for example, does not increase the Knowledge skills you start with.
blakkie
embarrassed.gif Missed that post. Thanks, that's what i was looking for.
Rotbart van Dainig
BTW - you don't get free BP.

You get free Skill Points, and can by additional ones with BP. wink.gif
Toshiaki
I wonder how many people have made that mistake. In my group about half of the players thought that it gave them BPs to buy knowledges with.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 21 2005, 10:27 AM)
BTW - you don't get free BP.

You get free Skill Points, and can by additional ones with BP. wink.gif

Ya, a important distinction if you ever start buying more than alloted by 3*(Logic+Intuition). I knew the difference, just wasn't writing it out that way. One thing i also noticed is that the only way to get a Specialization of a Knowledge Skill or Language Skill at chargen is to spend 1BP. There is no option to do it with the "free" points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012