Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Staging Damage for Full Auto
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shrapnel
I have a question for the experts...

If you are firing a large full auto burst, and have enough rounds to stage above Deadly, what happens?

For example, a burst from a LMG:

Initial damage: 7S
After 3 rounds: 10D
After 6 rounds: 13D?

I haven't been able to find any rules on staging above Deadly, and was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction. (I don't currently have Cannon Companion, so don't know if this has been addressed or not.)

The only canon example I could find that muddies the waters is in Fields of Fire (SR2), concerning the Ares HV MP-LMG:

Initial damage: 6S
6 round burst: 15D

So, is there any canon example of adding to the power of the weapon if the number of rounds fired stages it above deadly? Or is it only for this specific weapon?

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!
eidolon
See "deadlier over damage".

In response to the first part, each round raises the power of the attack by one, and the damage can only ever stage up to deadly.

Original code of 7M, for example, fires a 5 round burst, and scores 6 successes:

(7+5 rounds fired)12(four of the 6 successes stage the damage code to)D.
Tziluthi
I'm almost positive that it says somewhere that each level above deadly is expressed as an additional point of power. So if I were to fire a 3 round burst from a weapon that has a base damage code of 5D, the damage code would end up as 9D (5 initial power, 3 from the burst, 1 from the extra damage level). The again, it might do nothing, you should checkf.
fistandantilus4.0
I don't think so. It only goes up to deadly, then you keep boosting power for successes or more bullets. Or you use the Over-deadly rules (which we only use for explosives and long falls). Could be wrong, but that's how we run it at least.

hmmm , is that a pun?

Namergon
The increase in Power when damage stages over Deadly is for Melee Combat.
By default, for distance combat, the damage reaches D, and that's it.

But, don't forget that you calculate the damage after deducting the Dodge test successes and that remaining successes must first be negated by the successes of the Damage Resistance Test.

Example:
Joe Runner is hit hard by Bob the Copper firing an SMG in full auto.
The base Damage Code of Bob's SMG firing 10 bullets is 16D, and lucky Bob gets 5 successes on his attack test (!).
Joe rolls 5 Combat Pool dice to try and dodge this awful burst, and get (karma!) 2 successes, leaving Bob with 3.
Then Joe rolls his Body, plus 3 remaining Combat Pool dice, against a TN of 11 (Joe wears some kevlar), and gets 4 successes. Deducting Bob's 3 remaining successes, that leave 1 success to Joe to stage down the damage, which is not enough. too bad, Joe, you'll have to burn 1 karma pool point or spend it and pray that a reroll would provide at least 1 more success, or fall unconscious, suffering a Deadly Wound Level.
Aku
page 126 for Deadlier over damage, states that it should be used whenever the power of an attack is 1.5x greater than the targets body, and adds 1 pt of add'l damage per success over D damge, so that odesnt quite seem to be what you are looking for...
ShadowDragon8685
I always thought successes long enough to stage up above deadly were expressed as additional Ds -

IE, you're firing an Ares Predator with pistols 6 and decide you really don't like this ganger, so you pop down all your combat pool against a TN of 2, scoring 10 successes.

I thought that would stage to:

9M (start)
9S (2)
9D (4)
9DD (6)
9DDD (cool.gif
9DDDD (10)

I figure that's the equavilent of blowing the rear hemisphere of his head clean off with a golden shot between the eyes.
Aku
actaulyl, shadow, i dont think thats a bad idea, only starting it back down at L maybe? although i dont know what benefit you'd get from it, esp. over just adding to the power (which makes sense to me) but doing like 9DL, so you stage down the first light wound, then go into the deadly... or the mother of them, 36DD...... lots a lotta staging down...
ShadowDragon8685
I just treat each box over D as an additional D. You're just as dead if you take a 9D as if you take a 9DDDDDD - but the extra Ds are there to denote how much more you have to stage down before you can survive.
Shrapnel
Okay, thanks for all the responses so far. Perhaps I should clarify my question more.

Most of the responses deal with "Deadlier Over-Damage", which is using extra successes to apply more boxes of damage. What I am looking for is a rule regarding staging above Deadly due to the number of rounds in an autofire burst.

The example I had given regarding the Ares HV MP-LMG is the one that has me confused. With a 6 round burst, it goes from 6S to 15D. Where does the weapon get the extra 3 points of power from?

QUOTE (Tziluthi)
  I'm almost positive that it says somewhere that each level above deadly is expressed as an additional point of power. So if I were to fire a 3 round burst from a weapon that has a base damage code of 5D, the damage code would end up as 9D (5 initial power, 3 from the burst, 1 from the extra damage level). The again, it might do nothing, you should checkf.

Thanks, Tziluthi. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Do you know of any canon rules to support this?

QUOTE (Namergon)
  The increase in Power when damage stages over Deadly is for Melee Combat.

QUOTE (SR3 @ pg. 122 )
  If the Damage Level has been increased to Deadly, extra successes can be used to stage the Power Rating up.  For every two successes the Power Rating increases by one.

So, if every two successes increases the Power Rating by one, wouldn't every 3 rounds in an autofire burst do the same?

Does anyone know of any similar rules for autofire?

And how does one explain the damage code for the Ares HV MP-LMG? question.gif
TheNarrator
QUOTE (Shrapnel)
The example I had given regarding the Ares HV MP-LMG is the one that has me confused. With a 6 round burst, it goes from 6S to 15D. Where does the weapon get the extra 3 points of power from?

I just checked my copy of the Cannon Companion, and it says that a 6 round burst from the HV MP-LMG does 12D. I think yours might have a typo.

To the best of my knowledge, only successes take you into overdamage, not extra rounds. But I don't know every line of every rulebook by heart, so I could be mistake. Still, if I were GMing, the damage code for 10 rounds from an Ares Alpha would be 18D, with the option of getting more boxes and auto-killing him with enough successes. But that's just me.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Shrapnel @ Sep 22 2005, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (SR3 @  pg. 122 )
  If the Damage Level has been increased to Deadly, extra successes can be used to stage the Power Rating up.  For every two successes the Power Rating increases by one.

So, if every two successes increases the Power Rating by one, wouldn't every 3 rounds in an autofire burst do the same?

Does anyone know of any similar rules for autofire?

This reference (p122) only applies for melee combat. Ranged combat does not get that increase in power for every two successes.

EDIT: There is a very good mechanical reason why you don't increase the power for successes in Ranged Combat. In Melee combat, you compare the attack/defense rolls FIRST, then you do the damage resistance. Thus, a bonus to power would be beneficial for the final damage resistance test. In Ranged combat, you directly compare the attack test against the damage resistance (with a possible intervening dodge test which adds its net successes to the damage resistance). Thus, there is no point at which you would have the opportunity to increase the power before the damage resistance test, making any such adjustment moot.
Link
What I am looking for is a rule regarding staging above Deadly due to the number of rounds in an autofire burst.

I'm pretty sure there is no rule for this, the damage level stops at D. With the HV weapons from Fields of Fire I always went with the damage as written, even if it didn't comply with +1 power per round. As mentioned above, it appears Cannon Comp. changed this.
Namergon
++ with hahnsoo.

The rules for Range Combat and for burst/full auto damage code modifications can be found p. 114 & 115 SR3.
p. 122 you'll find Melee Combat-only rules.
Deadlier Over-Damage rules can be found p. 126, and only talk about applying additional boxes of damage after D wound.
Shrapnel
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

It sounds like they fixed the problem with the Ares HV MP-LMG in the Cannon Companion. That was the whole reason I have been struggling with this question, because the listed damage just did not make sense.

Hansoo, thanks for clarifying the difference between ranged and melee combat. It really helped put everything into perspective.

It looks like Cannon Companion will be next on my wish list... Thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012