Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carrying Capacity is Too Small
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FrankTrollman
So here I am working at a Red Cross wharehouse in Gulfport Mississippi (I made the mistake of admitting to having math and computer skills, and now I'm logistics). So I'm carrying around a backpack that's 25 kg, and holding someone else's bag, and my pockets are filled with stuff and I'm walking around having a conversation... and I notice that according to SR4 rules I have normal human maximum strength. Maybe more.

And I'm thinking... like hell I do. I am willing to accept that I might have above average strength, but no way so I have human max.

-Frank
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
So here I am working at a Red Cross wharehouse in Gulfport Mississippi (I made the mistake of admitting to having math and computer skills, and now I'm logistics). So I'm carrying around a backpack that's 25 kg, and holding someone else's bag, and my pockets are filled with stuff and I'm walking around having a conversation... and I notice that according to SR4 rules I have normal human maximum strength. Maybe more.

And I'm thinking... like hell I do. I am willing to accept that I might have above average strength, but no way so I have human max.

-Frank

So the other bag combined with the stuff in your pockets and the one on your back is equal to 60kg?

So in your pockets and in your hands you have 35kg worth of stuff. and if you move around, or run, or whatever the weight you're carrying does not affect you at all.
Mr. Unpronounceable
*shrug*

It's better than SR3's carrying capacity - you used to pass out from carrying your own weight for more than 30 seconds or so. Better not try any pull-ups.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
So the other bag combined with the stuff in your pockets and the one on your back is equal to 60kg?

Actually, it's 54 kg, but that's still substantially more than 50kg. It's actually not that hard to do. You pick up a box of six 3kg cans, and a gallon of water, and you're out more than 20 kg. Then you have steel-toed boots, a flashlight, a first-aid kit, a belt-knife, and a toothbrush and you're down 25 kg easy. Then every straw they put on your back is just taking you past 50 kg - which means that you either fall over or you apparently have normal human maximum strength.

That's retarded.

By the way, I'm posting now because it's a slow day. Rita has us locked down pretty tight, and we're preparing to move the whole warehouse. There's been a couple of companies claiming to own the warehouse we are in right now, and a couple of other companies claiming to have rented it. The building has a few holes in it, but it's the only facility in Gulfport with road and rail access, so people have been playing dirty over it. Now naturally we are reluctant to leave, but United Fruit has their own army, so we feel that it's prudent to turn over the building to them and let the other corps fight it out in the courts if that's what they want to do. Dole bananas wait for nobody, not even the Red cross.

Meanwhile, we don't even know where we are going. There are some other warehouses available, but we can't see their insides. The standing orders are that nobody is allowed onto the territories of the companies that own those places, and that means we need special permission from upstairs just to take a peak inside and see if we can use the place. It's pretty frustrating.

-Frank
Shadow_Prophet
Well clothes and boots don't ushualy factor into carry weight.

But you didn't answer the main question Fank. With that 54kg worth of gear you were carying were you able to preform 100% the way you would be without any of that on you. IE could you move as fast, jump as high, run as quickly, be as agile? If you could not do the above actions at 100% compared to what you could do while carrying nothing extra then in the sr4 system that would be the equivilent of you having a encumberance penalty.

60kg is the max weight a human at the pinicle of natural strength can carry and not suffer any effects at all. He can run as fast, jump as high move about as quickly carrying 60kg of stuff as opposed to carrying 0kg worth of stuff. Beyond that it starts to weigh him down and slow him down thus incurring a dice pool penalty.

The problem is people are interprating carrying capacity wrong. It isn't the max they can carry. Its the max they can carry without feeling any adverse effects.

Believe me carrying 30kg even and not being slowed down at all by it is no small feat. Anyone who's been backpacking alot, especialy in the mountains, can easily tell you this.
krishcane
I agree. 30 kg (66 lbs) is a load of weight to be wandering around with. You can do it, of course, but the average person is certainly feeling it.

I'm probably a bit above average strength. From hiking and climbing trips, I'd say I'm "unencumbered" to about 30 lbs. -- that's only 13.6 kg. When I carry 40 lbs of gear (18 kg), I definitely get tired faster, can't jump as high, etc. I notice an athletic difference. So that's really more in line with SR3 weights than SR4 rules.

Now, I am capable of taking a short walk with a well-distributed 200 lbs. (90 kg). I have done it... for maybe a minute. Seriously encumbered, and I'm sure not climbing over a fence, jogging, dodging, or jumping anything. Around 250 lbs. (113 kg) I'm more or less immobilized -- I could maybe take a couple staggering steps or shove myself into something with that weight, but not really walk. Maybe with enough adrenaline I could force myself to get moving for a short while.

So if I give myself a strength of 4... that'd be...

No penalty - Strength x 4 kg
Max with penalties - Strength x 25 kg

In other words, there's a big, big gap between no-penalty and maximum. Heck, when I run my half-marathon this weekend, I'll be choosing which socks would be lighter... at the high end of performance, every half-kilo counts.

--K

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012