Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tunguska and Verniya.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
MITJA3000+
The chapter about Yakut, there's talk about Tunguska and someone mentions that the meteor-or-whatnot might be something launched from earth a looooong time ago, and that it might have been a prison for a spirit. Now, it seems pretty possible that the spirit was Verniya, and even if it wasn't, this is still interesting. I was wondering if anyone knew something more about this, I don't know squat about earthdawn, but I thought it might have something to do with this.
Ancient History
Well, it certainly adds new meaning to Harlequin's comment in Target: Smuggler Havens.
blakkie
So what kind of focus would allow the spirit to survive the void of space? I assume that is what it would be, where the spirit would have to remain with the prison as it flew along or it would die. Or would it just get disrupted back to it's own plane?

I seem to remember there being some sort of [suppositly] unique essense focus that a vampire has for stacking the deck in Essense Drain duels. But that seems to be only a shortterm solution for a spirit in the void.

Is there canon for creating some sort of warding bubble to calm or keep away the manawarp disturbance?
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (blakkie)
So what kind of focus would allow the spirit to survive the void of space? I assume that is what it would be, where the spirit would have to remain with the prison as it flew along or it would die. Or would it just get disrupted back to it's own plane?

I seem to remember there being some sort of [suppositly] unique essense focus that a vampire has for stacking the deck in Essense Drain duels. But that seems to be only a shortterm solution for a spirit in the void.

Is there canon for creating some sort of warding bubble to calm or keep away the manawarp disturbance?

I'm only going to say this one more time: we have no evidence that Horrors are affected by manawarps.

Canon also mentions several metamagic techniques that limit manawarps, and we know that spirits have powers that often mimic metamagics. Therefore, it is possible that this spirit has the power "Immunity to Manawarps".
hahnsoo
As long as they don't name the spirit "Jenova". nyahnyah.gif
hyzmarca
A toxic spirit aspected toward the cause of a manawarp could draw power from it instead of being harmed. By canon, toxic spirits add background count to their Force in their own domains. I see no reason why a nature or elemental spirit that was turned toxic by extreme sterility shouldn't be able to travel into space with no restriction.

Ancient History
QUOTE ("Kanada Ten")
Canon also mentions several metamagic techniques that limit manawarps...

No. Filtering creates a temporary astral construct to filter out the corrupt astral energies, but it doesn't protect from damage from the mana warp on the astral. If a spirit could create a filter with the Sorcery power, it would still face damage (unless, possibly, it was protected within a unique enchantment.)

QUOTE ("blakkie")

De Vries' Essence Focus might be of some use to blood spirits, wraiths and other spirits that face Essence Loss, but it wouldn't protect from the damages of the Warp.

FiveVenoms
Have they explained the interaction of space and the astral plane sufficiently in any sourcebook? It's been given many times that the astral plane "vanishes", and any astral projection in space makes you go 'pop' (or some such phenomenon), but I don't recall anyone getting down specifically as to how it works. I was under the impression that it wasn't just "sterile", it was an astral vaccuum, more or less.

Of course, going by MITJA3000+'s comment, that would make a pretty sweet prison for a spirit. Put 'em in an asteroid, lock them to it, complete with just enough astral space to stay there, and then shoot 'em into space, where there's literally nowhere to go. Or something.
Ancient History
QUOTE (FiveVenoms)
Have they explained the interaction of space and the astral plane sufficiently in any sourcebook? It's been given many times that the astral plane "vanishes", and any astral projection in space makes you go 'pop' (or some such phenomenon), but I don't recall anyone getting down specifically as to how it works. I was under the impression that it wasn't just "sterile", it was an astral vaccuum, more or less.

Target: Wastelands details Outer Space.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Well, it certainly adds new meaning to Harlequin's comment in Target: Smuggler Havens.

that's kind of worrisome. Weren't they trying to keep it from crashing/re-entering orbit IIRC? Worrisome because that means there were multiple IE's (once again, assuming I remember the quote correctly as 'we') trying to keep this spirit (assuming also that is what the meteorite was all about) from returning.

On the same line, also worrisome becuase said IEs failed tostop it, it landed, and they didn't try to do anything about said 'escapee'. Did they not care, or were they to afraid to try during the down cycle?
toturi
Perhaps the prison is a forced Hidden Life/Spector chain-type object. So even if the spirit is disrupted/destroyed and it manages to reconstitute itself, it must manifest in the vicinity of the prison.
fistandantilus4.0
doesn't hte spirit get destroyed if the chain is destroyed? I'd think that smashing into a bajillion pieces from crashing to earth would constitute as 'destroyed'.
(and yes, bajillion is the technical term wink.gif )
Oracle
The prison could just have been some powerful and unique enchantment. No problem in the world of Earthdawn. Possibly even my long time player character would have been able to pull the trick.
fistandantilus4.0
Isn't Lake Baykal the place with the small man made 'mountain' of rocks brought by shamans on pilgrimage? Over a few thousand years, that's GOT to be a nice power site.
Velocity
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I'm only going to say this one more time: we have no evidence that Horrors are affected by manawarps.

Five bucks says you're gonna have to say it again. wink.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
doesn't hte spirit get destroyed if the chain is destroyed? I'd think that smashing into a bajillion pieces from crashing to earth would constitute as 'destroyed'.
(and yes, bajillion is the technical term wink.gif )

A ghost with a can be destroyed if the chain is destroyed. You still have to fight it normally. A Free Spirit with Hidden Life is destroyed instantly if its vessel is destroyed.
Fox1
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Sep 22 2005, 04:36 PM)

I don't have a horse in this race although I think it's a rather interesting subject.

But I will note that the logic behind that statement is faulty in the extreme. We also have no evidence that mages dressing in purple strips while waving a dead chicken and singing Wayne Netwon songs are affected by mana warps. But I consider it a safe bet.

Rather one should look for evidence that indicates what affect mana warps have upon Horrors. For one, we know that they can't travel to low mana areas.

Another interesting questions due to my lack of knowledge about SR:

Can they exist in extremely low mana areas, i.e. have any lived on earth through a no magic cycle? If so, were they active (like the imortal elves) or inactive (like the dragons)?
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Fox1)
But I will note that the logic behind that statement is faulty in the extreme. We also have no evidence that mages dressing in purple strips while waving a dead chicken and singing Wayne Netwon songs are affected by mana warps. But I consider it a safe bet.

Damn, well there goes that idea... frown.gif
hyzmarca
Horrors cause manawarps. I think that it is a safe bet that they thrive in heavily corrupted mana.
toturi
I thought Horrors produced Background Counts. Which if strong enough cause manawarps.
Jrayjoker
Or, is the mechanic used to describe background counts merely used for the effects of mana warps?
hyzmarca
A background count of 6 or greater is, by definition, a manawarp. In Earthdawn, areas can be "tainted" or "corrupt".Taint (not to be confused with the Horror of the same name) would be equivilant to a background count and was practically everywhere back then. "Corrupt" areas would be the equivilant of manawarps.
Fox1
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Or, is the mechanic used to describe background counts merely used for the effects of mana warps?

That's how I've read it, just like deep space is given a background count. It's a pure game mechanic thing with it representing either corrupted areas of mana or low levels of mana.

mfb
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

we don't have any evidence that a human can be killed by being dropped into the sun, either. mana warps affect every other 'living' being; assuming that horrors are immune to them would be going against what evidence does exist.
hyzmarca
But there is no logical reason why space would have less mana than anywhre else on the physical plane. The fact is that the presence of life lowers the background count in space over time. Given that, it is simple to conclude that space is simply inhumanly sterile. This supports anecdotal evidence that suggests that there are some types of monsterously inhuman spirits living just outside of Earth's manashpere.

There is a story somewhere in some sourcebook or novel about a magician who projected to the very edge of the manasphere and saw these creatures looking at him from across the threshold. He promptly gouged out his own eyes upon returning to his body.
Velocity
That's from the adventure Eyewitness. He also covered his subterranean home with drawings of lizard-like (or draconic?) faces and believed that the sky wanted to eat him (hence the choice of an underground lair).
Fox1
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
But there is no logical reason why space would have less mana than anywhre else on the physical plane.

I believe Target: Wastlands specifically states that the source of mana is living creatures and that their projection of the same ends at the edge of the biosphere.

It's been a while since I read it however. I'll check for a quote from the book when I get a chance.

mfb
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
But there is no logical reason why space would have less mana than anywhre else on the physical plane.

completely false. it's just as viable to say that mana is a byproduct of life, and that it dissipates if no life is present.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
There is a story somewhere in some sourcebook or novel about a magician who projected to the very edge of the manasphere and saw these creatures looking at him from across the threshold. He promptly gouged out his own eyes upon returning to his body.

i don't recall that one. and besides, the word of someone who gouged out their own eyes is not something that should be taken without a grain of salt.
Fox1
QUOTE (mfb)
and besides, the word of someone who gouged out their own eyes is not something that should be taken without a grain of salt.

At least it shows personal committment to the story biggrin.gif
SL James
QUOTE (Velocity @ Sep 23 2005, 12:56 PM)
He also covered his subterranean home with drawings of lizard-like (or draconic?) faces and believed that the sky wanted to eat him (hence the choice of an underground lair).

I know that guy!

QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (mfb @ Sep 23 2005, 02:41 PM)
and besides, the word of someone who gouged out their own eyes is not something that should be taken without a grain of salt.

At least it shows personal committment to the story biggrin.gif

The main protagonist of most of my fiction is a woman, but I haven't castrated myself in furtherance of the story.
Kentares
QUOTE (mfb @ Sep 23 2005, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

i don't recall that one. and besides, the word of someone who gouged out their own eyes is not something that should be taken without a grain of salt.

Funny... I also remember that but I think it was from some shadowtalk on a sourcebook. Maybe the same Target: Wastelands.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Fox1)
I believe Target: Wastlands specifically states that the source of mana is living creatures and that their projection of the same ends at the edge of the biosphere.

Life aspects mana. Human magic is aspected toward the life and existence that they know. Usually it is the same default state that is dominant in the earth's aura. This state of mana is greatly shaped by the earth, and all the life upon it. Space has no shortage of mana, as seen that filtering is as effective there as anywhere (although very difficult). At best (for the humans), the mana of space is mostly aspected in a sterile/high-energy composite manner. Since radioactive and sterile aligned mages exist in SR, it is then possible that a mage could adjust their preferred natural state to actually correspond to space. They would face a crippling background count on earth, mild on the moon, and unknown on other regions, but they would be able to add so much to extraplanetary advancement that it's probably worth trying to force a few (see corporate files/mage abuse/severe/orbital/Icarus.enc).
Velocity
QUOTE (Kentares)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Funny... I also remember that but I think it was from some shadowtalk on a sourcebook. Maybe the same Target: Wastelands.

QUOTE (Velocity)
That's from the adventure Eyewitness. He also covered his subterranean home with drawings of lizard-like (or draconic?) faces and believed that the sky wanted to eat him (hence the choice of an underground lair).
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fox1 @ Sep 23 2005, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 23 2005, 01:45 PM)

It's been a while since I read it however. I'll check for a quote from the book when I get a chance.

QUOTE (mfb)

completely false. it's just as viable to say that mana is a byproduct of life, and that it dissipates if no life is present.

The explicit statement of the SR3 BBB would suggest otherwise.

Big V's Hearld knows what he is talking about.

QUOTE (SR3 Page 161)
Mana [...] flows from the metaplanes into our physical world and through it onto the astral [...] like the waves of an ocean.

If life created mana then, logically, there wouldn't have been a downcycle. Mana flows in waves from the metaplanes and through the physical plane. As it flows through it is altered by what it touches and thus the physical is projected on the astral in much the same way that radiographic imaging works.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Kentares)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Neo-Anarchist Guide to Real Life. It was quickly followed by someone calling that "phycological effects" of leaving the biosphere. It is also evidence number 3 (1 being Horrors corrupt astral space, 2 being "Space has no shortage of mana, as seen that filtering is as effective there as anywhere..." - Herald of Verjigorm) that Horrors may be able to survive in space.
fistandantilus4.0

There was one there too. There was an expedition team that found a cave somewhere in desert mts. (IIRC) The team got an "oogie" feeling about the place. IThe mage percevied astrally and proceeded to tear his eyes out.

Also, little history lesson, Messias the elder scholar that translated the Books of Harrow also clawed out his eyes after translating the books.

So the evidence shows that apparently horrors are REALLY ugly. Either that, or they induce an allergy in the victim to their own eyeballs. Your pick.

Edit: Edited for AH> Matthias was a member of the Veiled Alliance. oops.
mfb
hyzmarca, i was more arguing with your logic than your conclusions. there are plenty of logical theories that could explain why leaving the manasphere is dangerous. i agree with the one that says life aspects existing mana, but my point is that it's not the only logical theory.
Fox1
QUOTE (mfb @ Sep 23 2005, 11:47 PM)
hyzmarca, i was more arguing with your logic than your conclusions. there are plenty of logical theories that could explain why leaving the manasphere is dangerous. i agree with the one that says life aspects existing mana, but my point is that it's not the only logical theory.

Indeed it is not.

Having looked back over the books they specifically state in fact that no one has even a firm theory about the subject and that research as to the cause is still on going. hyzmarca's theory is sort of present in MitS, but he's carried it beyond the canon statements.

Until something new is published, this means its the GM's call.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (mfb @ Sep 23 2005, 11:47 PM)

Indeed it is not.

Having looked back over the books they specifically state in fact that no one has even a firm theory about the subject and that research as to the cause is still on going. hyzmarca's theory is sort of present in MitS, but he's carried it beyond the canon statements.

Until something new is published, this means its the GM's call.

I'm basing it on the canon statements in the BBB. These aren't in character remarks, they are factual statements about the game world. Mana flows from the metaplans; the presence of life has nothing to do with the mana level.
Fox1
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I'm basing it on the canon statements in the BBB..

Quote please.

hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 24 2005, 10:04 AM)
I'm basing it on the canon statements in the BBB..

Quote please.

Once again

QUOTE (SR3 Page 161)

Mana [...] flows from the metaplanes into our physical world and through it onto the astral [...] like the waves of an ocean.

"Flows from the metaplanes" is the important part of that quote. It is certainly not created by life.
mfb
it should be noted, that's an in-character section, not a rules section. i'm going to give my original point up for lost, i think.
Ancient History
I noted a couple of misconceptions in this thread, and thought I'd say my piece on the matter. Sorry for the block quotes and Schooling tone; those who already have this cold can skip over this bit.

QUOTE ("p.158 @  SR3")

Mana
The Awakened world is permeated by mana, the energy of magic. Mana is invisible and intangible. It cannot be detected, measured or influenced by machines, only living beings. Mana is sensitive to emotion and responds to the will of the Awakened.

QUOTE ("p.161 @ SR3")

[The Astral] thrives on life, and so emotion, thought and spirit are emphasized on the astral. Without life, there is no astral space; and so without a thriving gaisphere to support it, the astral plane does not extend into space.

Mana, magic essence itself, flows from the metaplanes into our physical world and through it to the astral.  ... When mana pours through the physical world, it is everywhere, touching everything - one big mana field connecting everything.

QUOTE ("p.83 @ MitS")

In magic, background count refers to the presence of powerful magical and emotional influences that can affect the flow of mana and the astral plane.

The nature of events in an area can leave lasting emotional impressions on that area, positive or negative. ... Theorists speculate that background count is caused by the mana in an area being "charged" or "tainted" in certain ways.

QUOTE ("p.85 @ MitS")
Beyond level 5 background count, the mana flow becomes corrupt and astral space is dangerously polluted and contaminated, a situation known as mana warp.

QUOTE ("p.86 @ MitS")
Outside Earth's living aura, however, mana warps are the norm. Space is virtually devoid of life, which distorts the mana field and raises the background count to mana warp levels. The astral plane outside the atmosphere is a single vast void, stretching out into infinity.

Some research suggests that the background count is reduced onboard orbital stations and similar places with large concentrations of living beings.

I can go on spouting quotes, but these should serve to illustrate my point for right now.

Whatever the origin of magical energy - whether it flows from the metaplanes as suggested by the Manual of Practical Thaumaturgy, exists as a radiation in space a la Larry Niven's The Magic Goes Away or whatever theory you ascribe to - there is no doubt that mana is shaped by life. Whether mana is generated by living beings is up for debate, the fact that mana is affected by the very existence of living things, especially their thoughts, deeds and emotions, is not. The presence of living things can have an effect on the mana level of a given location - various power sites and manalines should be sufficient evidence of that.

Part of Hyzmarca's arguements are based on p.161 of the SR3 BBB. That page is flavor text. It presents one view on the subject, it does not cover every theory, and it should not limit your gameplay should you decide magic works differently.

Whether Horrors are discomfited by outer space is an unknown - there is no canon example of a Horror beyond the limits of Earth of the Metaplanes/Netherworlds. Mana warps are psychologically devastating to experience, so a single instance of eyeball-rippage doesn't present sufficient evidence. Hell, Oedipus did the same thing, and there's no evidence he saw a Horror, either.

Technically speaking, the only mechanic for a low level of mana is a void, not a background count. Whether a void would become a mana warp should it reach a certain intensity is open to debate. Fovae are most likely areas of mana warp that result as a side effect of using blood magic - I leave the matter open for further debate.

And for the record, it was Elianar Messias. Get it right!
blakkie
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 24 2005, 07:06 PM)
And for the record, it was Elianar Messias. Get it right!

I chalk Elianar Messias the elf clawing his eyes out to a mesaline trip gone bad as he was trying to get in the "magical mood". After all not only was that book eventually translated, so were (most of?) the rest of the set. Parts of the translation were done by a Dorf, no less. wink.gif

What i'm really curious about is how this would be a prison for a Horror? Or at least a prision that hadn't stopped functioning quite some time back, as i thought that the drop in mana levels during the down cycle eventually sends them all back.

If there was a way for them to maintain their presence, and i found out about it, i sure as hell wouldn't give them any hint what-so-ever that it was possible much less expose them to it. That's just asking for them to figure it out, and they do appear to be both resourceful and peristant little buggers. If they do figure it out you'll end up with all-horrors, all-the-time.
Panzergeist
I think it's pretty likely that horrors are at least resistant to the mana warp of outer space. After all, they want to wipe out all life on Earth, and doing so would turn the planet into one big mana warp. And they've supposedly done it before to other worlds.
Fox1
QUOTE (mfb)
it should be noted, that's an in-character section, not a rules section. i'm going to give my original point up for lost, i think.

Indeed.

IC posts are basically useless for proof of an concept, they only indicate current in-game thought and in SR such thought is open to significant diversion from reality.

Beyond that, there isn't much more to say on the subject.
blakkie
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
I think it's pretty likely that horrors are at least resistant to the mana warp of outer space.

It isn't so much the mana warp, it is the absolute void on the Astral. Of course if they aren't Materializing from the Astral but from one of the metaplanes then the lack of Astral isn't much of an issue. Not sure if this is ever described as possible or happening, but if mana flows to the physical from some place other than the Astral.....
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Panzergeist @ Sep 25 2005, 04:27 AM)
I think it's pretty likely that horrors are at least resistant to the mana warp of outer space.

It isn't so much the mana warp, it is the absolute void on the Astral.

Which isn't space, at least not in SR3. MitS describes it as a rating 10 mana warp, and Filtering can deal with it. Those are game rules, not fluff text, therefore there is no mana void in space by the SR3 rules.
toturi
By SR3 rules, I haven't seen anyone with Immunity to Background Count or Immunity to Manawarp, no matter the Potency. If the GM wants a Deus Ex Machina, it doesn't matter what he calls it really.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (toturi)
By SR3 rules, I haven't seen anyone with Immunity to Background Count or Immunity to Manawarp, no matter the Potency.

Except for Toxic Spirits, which have background count added to their force.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012