Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Underworld: Shadowrun Style
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Fenris
Okay folks, lemme lay out a premise for a new game I wanna run here on the forums.

Basically, I'm stepping waaaaay outside the lines of cannon Shadowrun and doing something that I'm hoping will come across like Underworld, Blade, Vampire: The Masquerade, and Ninja High School all wrapped together in some sort of crispy confectionary treat.

The basic premise is that there is an underbelly to the majority of society, one where all the monsters roam. Changelings, Vampires, Ghouls, Shapeshifters, drakes, all sorts of weird critters inhabit this Lower Layer under society, and they've formed their own hierarchy and political system, revolving around themselves and the places they frequent. The primary basis for this political system is the Shadow Council, or the Low Council. This council controls general politics and policies among the monsters of Europe. One of the basic tenants is that you don't let on to "the Blind" (read:mundanes) in on what's going on, ever. Currently, there's a war on in Europe, with several of the major factions vying behind the scenes for control over this council.

As players, you'll be allied with one of the main factions, those being the Dracul Family, a collected group of vampires and nosferatu; all of the Great Dragons individually; the Immortal Elves; the Hengi-oki (shifters from the East) with an almost Yakuza type of setup; the Animus clan (shifters from Western Europe); and a collection of minor factions (read: room for player additions wink.gif )

You'll all be collected or called together via various favors to work for one of the factions in assisting them with this particular endeavor. Pick whichever of the factions you like, and I'll work with you to set out a back story and detail out things like contacts, allies, enemies, and the like.

While being Awakened won't be required, it's going to be a big disadvantage if you're not. This is the time for everyone that's ever wanted to do some kind of Changeling with satyr legs and a balance tail, or drake/shapeshifter/ghoul characters. Just about anything goes, assuming it's not completely mindless. I'm not allowing Vampire or nosferatu players, just because it's a little too beefy, but I'm willing to entertain just about any other possibilities people want to toss out, including vampire pawns.

And, since I tossed Ninja High School into the mix, I want you guys to know that I'm looking forward to tons of Blade/Underworld/Anime style action, lots of leaping and jumping and cool stuff like that, so I'm setting out pretty generous char-gen rules. I'm also allowing a few weeks to get characters done, so I have time to work on your backstory and character with you. I'm looking to launch the thread on October 13th. wink.gif

Alright, here's the nitty gritty of char-gen:

Number of players: 6-8

Time: Jan 2064

Build points: 130

Build Point modifications: The cost for full mage, aspected mage, and adept are reduced by 10 build points. Conversely, if you are not awakened, you will receive an additional 10 build points, and can exceed the 60 point cap for stats, the 70 point cap for skills, and the 30 point cap for money (35 build points will get you 1.5 million nuyen, and 40 build points will get you 2 million). Note: cap on individual skills at chargen (6) and stats (racial max) are still in place, even if non-awakened.

Max Edges/flaws: 5 edges/5 flaws, can't receive more then 6 build points back from flaws not spent on edges. (Note: The friends in high places edge will be direct backing from a Council faction if taken)

Availability: At base chargen, normal availability and rating rules apply.

Changelings: Please remember the extra 5 point build costs to be a Changeling wink.gif

All cannon books are valid.

After char gen: Add an addition 250 karma and 2.5 million nuyen to your character. At this point, street index's apply, although availabilities are wide open. Up to one half of the karma award (125 karma) can be converted to nuyen at a cost of 1 karma = 5000 nuyen. Up to 650,000 nuyen can be converted to karma at a rate of 5000 nuyen for 1 pt of karma. This means you can buy up to an additional 125 points of karma. This is karma after karma pool, so humans should have a karma pool of 26, and metahuman players a karma pool of 14 (see house rules below).

Please do not use something if you cannot look the thing up in an actual book. I will happily penalize players that say, "Well, that's all it said in the NSRCG."

Since the characters are established, you can have custom gear, vehicles, foci, etc. Just make sure it's detailed out. Maximum two years of time for custom gear, foci, vehicles, drones, etc. That's not character history, that's just how much you have that you can actually roll to create or modify stuff.

I require either the HTML files that NSRCG spits out, or text files. Only these two options exist. Any other file format will result in the character being rejected and replaced wink.gif

I do not accept Raygun's weapons.

I'll be posting on a regular basis. I won't guarantee once a day every day, and I'm usually a bit more relaxed on the weekends, but there will be at least two significant storyline bumps each week. One on Tuesday, and one on Friday. I'll update between of course, but these two bumps are mandatory. This is in hopes of keeping the game from stalling out like so many other board games.

Metahumans start with 2 points of karma pool (house rule).

Post your general character concepts here, and make them interesting. I'm looking for a couple of sentences (no more then 2 paragraphs, please) describing your characters personality, physical description, background in this Underworld-ish setting I've created, which faction you're aligned with, and anything else that makes your character interesting. I'll be making decisions on Sept 29th on a final character roster, at which point I'll start working with those players on their backgrounds.

I will pick and keep alternatives, since players drop out all the time.
Fortune
I'm definitely interested.

Seems like a great opportunity to rework my namesake character, Fortune.

He's an elven hermetic mage with ties to Tir Tairngire, who actively advocates racial purity, and always works to further the cause of elven superiority. Of course, in this incarnation of the Sixth World he would be aligned with the Immortal Elf faction, without a doubt working as a troubleshooter.
Chance359
Interesting, very interesting. I've got a recently released UCAS NSA agent in mind. Agent Rivers is a troll phy adept asigned to infiltrate disident groups in Europe and encounters the Lower Layer.
Whizbang
Hmm...thinking perhaps a faction that started out as outright monster hunters (ie Hunter the Reckoning from WoD), but has by now settled down slightly to take a spot in the council making sure that the 'Blind' aren't getting hurt in all this. Of course, you still have the occasional vigilante who wants to step out of the bounds... smile.gif

Of course, I've been up for...way too long. So perhaps I better creep back to my coffin and leave this crazy rambling to be approved or shot down as needed.
Buddha72
Whiz - I think the concept is solid. I played in a White Wolf game that had a Hunter keeping an eye on us monsters and it was a fantastic set up. We all watched ourselves around him and had to walk a finer line as a result.

I'm going to do a shapeshifter from the East. Going ninja high school on this one. Wall running and the like. Ping is her name and much ninjustu madness is her game. A hunter of the fringes and keeper of the Blind. A petite woman with a fondness for Noh make up and a flair with tight clothing and neo-ninja look.
Shadow
Edit:

Name: Azaezel

Human male from Japan. He is covered head to toe in silver and black fur. He also has a tail, claws and pointed ears. He is a former Yak assasin who was forced to leave after he Surged. Currently he is aligned with Lofwyr's faction.

Former post
[ Spoiler ]
Shadow
Arew we going to be in Europe?
Fenris
Shadow - Yes, the campaign will be run almost entirely in Europe. I like the concept so far, you'll just need to narrow down the actual faction you're aligned with. I don't think loyalty to the Yak's will come into play much, this game will pretty much run outside their circles. Also, if you're trying to secure a spot in the game, some sort of physical description of you post-SURGE would help wink.gif I'm always more interested in something like, "a 7' tall former elf with bright red fur, gills, and a feather frill running from the center of his forehead down his back" then "an elf" or "a human".

I can't actually take full credit for the idea however, as Buddha was kind enough to help me hash it out.
Blitz
As I told you last night..I am SOO in for this. The character I had in mind is an adept - but technology based. Odd combination of tech savvy skills and decent combat abilities, and cyberware to enhance the mix. Think dark moody European type, quiet, modest, but surprisingly deadly and versatile (probably will have skill wires) and I'll definately be brought in by the Dracul faction.
Musashi Forever
Sounds like a good time, Fenris. I'm in if you'll have me.

I have been reading the Aztlan book lately and they talk a lot about the New Society of Jesus. Could I play a Jesuit?

He'd probably be like a character out of the anime Hellsing (if you've seen that.) Or I am tempted to model him after Samuel L. Jackson...lol. That would be funny! Sam Jackson as a Vampire Hunting Catholic Priest!

Lemme know what you think. cool.gif
Fenris
Is the character in Hellsing you're talking about the priest from the Vatican with the blades? That would be an interesting character to have in the game, I think, although we'd have to talk about what faction you would come in for and how we'd want to convert the abilities. Maybe some sort of possession by a summoned spirit from the Jesuits?
gobogen
I will definitely throw something in. I will try something as strange as possible, and likely a ghould. Possibly also a shapeshifter but we're used to those. I'll think of something.
Musashi Forever
QUOTE (Fenris @ Sep 24 2005, 12:25 AM)
Is the character in Hellsing you're talking about the priest from the Vatican with the blades? That would be an interesting character to have in the game, I think, although we'd have to talk about what faction you would come in for and how we'd want to convert the abilities.  Maybe some sort of possession by a summoned spirit from the Jesuits?

I made him last night and went a bit of a different route than the guy from Hellsing, but I would probably play them similarly.

My guy is a Jesuit charged with making certain that the Vampires do not win the struggle. In order to do this he is authorized to work with any group which opposes the vampires.

He is a shaman of the Wise Warrior with a mixture of combat, detection, and manipulation spells. His primary weapons are a pair of fancy H&K MP-5 TX's and he has the smartlink to back them up. When things get close, he can pop-out a hand blade to tear things up. He's primarily a combat-based character. But like any Jesuit he loves to debate all things theological.

Sorry, no Sam Jackson, but I think he could be a good addition to the game. Almost a freelancer because he'll be able to switch factions if he has to and if a new faction will accept him. But he will not screw over any faction he is currently with and he will not reveal secrets learned about any faction he has worked with. It would be against the warrior code that his totem demands.

How's that sound, GM?
Fenris
Sounds good! Definitely interesting.
Aku
i just wanted to say that i think this is a cool concept smile.gif unfortunately, i can't toss my hat in because i don't have any of the rquisite books for ANYTHING loike those...
BishopMcQ
Twilight

Aligned with the Sidhe Courts, the Darkness moves through Europe as the hands, eyes and ears of the Seelie and Unseelie thrones. A shifting title that only the rulers of the Sidhe know the purpose for and identity of the current bearer. The Darkness is a messenger, assassin, collector of payment and herald of things to come.

Twilight carried the title of Darkness for exactly three days, seventeen hours and twelve minutes. It was a great sign of respect and honor to be chosen and she hopes one day to be chosen again. Until that day comes, she continues to work for the Courts as they see fit. Noble service earns noble thanks and the respect of one's peers.

(Giving some love to Changeling from WoD--Say it with me, I do believe in Faeries...)
Chance359
As cool as this game sounds like its going to be, I'm gonna have to remove my name from contention. Good luck to all.
Bearclaw
Hi,
I'd like to play. I've got an idea for a ghoul phys-ad and the society he's a member of.

[ Spoiler ]
Cedric Rolfsson
I'm interested, sounds fun.

Loki

Elf, Magican's Way adept.
[ Spoiler ]
caramel frappucino
This one sounds like it'll be a bag of fun. I'm in if you'll have me. smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]

I've kept the background scarce, and if anyone wants to coordinate, I'm totally up for it.
Fenris
McQuillan, Bearclaw, Caramel, nice character possibilities, very interested.

Cedric, the concept is fine, just doesn't wave any flags or whistles at me. Sounds pretty much like a Shadowrunner, which wasn't exactly what I'm looking for. You're not out of the running by any means, I just want to be honest about the criteria I'm using to pick entries.
Cedric Rolfsson
Ya Fenris, I sat and thought about it last night and redesigned, was going to nix that character anyway. New Concept:

[ Spoiler ]
Fenris
Much more interesting, Cedric. Question for you, does Link work publically to increase 'shifters rights as people and all that, going to rallys and the like, or does he work strictly within the realm of the Low Council?
Cedric Rolfsson
Fenris, Link is generally an advocate for the shifter community. He speaks at rallies, he hosts Matrix discussion groups etc. but primarily among scholars and academics rather than political rallies. He has also written several scholarly works on the social workings of shapeshifters groups etc. (Think Goodall)

Link is more of a thinker but because of the nature of the pack he is in he's learned to be more of a doer. (Goodall just observed passively, but he's had to prove worth to gain even minimal acceptance, which involved deeds.) He's primarily mental attributes and I'm dumping points into parazoology and anthropolgy, etc. to account for the scholarly works etc.
Fenris
Sounds cool, definitely digging the modified idea much more then the original.
Shadow
I guess I am going to try and come up with a better idea. This one (though I love the name) isn't doing it for me.

Fenris, could you maybe list a few factions and give a brief discription of them? Are there gypsies?
Cedric Rolfsson
Fenris, question: I am presuming, by the very nature of your lead in, that there will be a lot of political action and use for social skills in this game thread. If not my character is likely to get chewed up and spit out in a pure combat game.
Fenris
Shadow - Actually, the factions and descriptions I gave in the lead in post, plus what other players have contributed so far in this thread, is the full extent of what I have worked out with the factions. The primary ones I listed are the movers and shakers the game will be based around. Feel free to make up an appropriate faction or move forward with one provided.

Cedric - I had actually planned for a higher action content in this game, just because of it's nature. There will be political manuvering, and you can assume some backstabbing of both a physical and verbal sort will be happening, but again, I'm aiming for a primarily action oriented game.
Bearclaw
I'm kind of picturing a political setup like the Dune universe, with the House's Major, and the minor houses seeking prestige, alliances and favor to become a great house.

So, in this version of a political system, my little group of Ghouls is working many angles trying to increase it's overt and covert power and influence.
Overt by recruiting and fundraising in the Sons, and covert by seeking alliances with major council members, as well as powerful groups that aren't part of the council but play a part in the shadow world just the same, such as mega corps, organized crime, government intel/crimefighting agencies, everyone in threats and loose alliances, etc.

PS, I'm aiming for a spell slinging Duncan Idaho. A covert op outside of the normal chain of command. Part assassin, part ambasador, part spy.
caramel frappucino
In light of how many people are playing shifters/allied with shifters, I've decided to rework Izzy into a plain jane human being working under the command of Hestaby.

More info coming soon!
Fenris
Alright, mostly becaused I'm confused about exactly who's playing what. I hadn't thought we actually had that many shifter/shifter allied, so let's check it out:

Player/Character: Concept

Fortune/Fortune: Eleven hermetic mage troubleshooter allied with the Immortal Elves faction out of Tir Taingire.
Tashio/????: Human Hermetic Mage/Doctor vampire pawn allied with the Dracul family, vampire/paranormal expert.
Chance359/Agent Rivers: Human agent working undercover with the Council for UCAS government.
Whizbang/????: Human Monster Hunter, allied with the Human Hunter faction.
Shadow/Azazel: Human changeling former Yak allied with Lofwyr.
Blitz/Nevermore: Human physad vampire pawn allied with the Dracul faction.
Musashi Forever/????: Wise Warrior Shaman mercenary willing to work with anyone working against the vampires.
McQuillan/Twilight: Fey troubleshooter allied with the Sidhe courts faction on the Council.
Bearclaw/????: Human ghoul allied with the Brother's of Krieger, an alliance of ghouls with faction standing with the Low Council.
Caramel Frappucino/Izzy: Human allied with Hestaby.
Buddha/Wu Ping: Tiger shifter allied with the hengi-yoki.
Cedric Rolfson/Link: Elven hermetic mage Animus clan troubleshooter hunter/shapeshifter expert.

Anybody else wanting is has until 12:00am PST tonight to get a character concept in this thread or I have to receive the email by the indicated deadline. I'll announce primary's and alternates once I've had to chance to review any last minute entries.
caramel frappucino
Izzy v2.0 is done! Izzy's profile has been appropriately modified to incorporate the changes.
Bearclaw
OK, my ghoul calls himself Freddie Krieger smile.gif
He's a Cobra shaman, and likes Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain.
caramel frappucino
QUOTE (Bearclaw)

If I had any food products in my possession, I would throw them at you. nyahnyah.gif
Blitz
QUOTE (caramel frappucino)
QUOTE (Bearclaw)

If I had any food products in my possession, I would throw them at you. nyahnyah.gif

Just throw your handle wink.gif
caramel frappucino
Sacrilege!
Bearclaw
QUOTE (caramel frappucino)
QUOTE (Bearclaw)

[In his best Freddy Kruger]
How sweet. Fresh meat rotfl.gif
Fenris
Alright, this is the final list of players who's characters are going to be the primary movers and shakers in this game. I'll also post a list of alternates, whom I may place in various places throughout the game to create introductions before they actually come into the game. For those people that are alts, I don't expect character sheets from you now, but you need to have one within a week after I email or pm you letting you know you're in the main thread now. If you don't like those terms, let me know and I'll take you off the alternates list.

Fortune
Whizbang
Blitz
Buddha
McQuillan
Bearclaw
Caramel Frap
Cedric

Alternates:
Musashi
Shadow
Chance
Taisho

Alright boys and girls, this is now officially a character creation thread. Post anything in here that might help you get your character together, including questions about the settings, about the factions, about other characters, etc.
Fortune
Woohoo! Honestly, until the other day, I didn't think you were interested in my character concept.

Now, to work ... hmmm ...
caramel frappucino
Fenris -

Aptitude: Yea/Nay?
BishopMcQ
Is Diplomatic Immunity even possible? (I know in SoE there are relationships between the Real Tir and the Seelie and Unseelie Courts.)

Will border crossings and permits be looked at in this game or will travel be more nebulous?
Fortune
So, I have my character pretty much done, at least in draft form. Is there anything specific I should know, or should I just send it off to you as-is?

Oh, and is an .rtf file alright? biggrin.gif
Fenris
Fortune - Course I did! I said so somewhere earlier, I thought wink.gif Welcome aboard. Just send teh character as is, in .html or .txt (.rtf works, but I don't want everyone knowing that)

Mcquillan - Diplomatic Immunity would be a little different...who were you hoping to have Diplomatic Immunity from? If it's just the "Blind" authorities, I'm sure something could be worked out.

Carmel - Aptitude is fine wink.gif Good for the goose, good for the gander and all that...

Everyone else - Just so you guys know, if I'd have had space I'd have put everyone in, there were alot of terrific character concepts I didn't get to use because I was trying for the best mix. Thanks for submitting, and I do hope you'll keep up because RL always sticks it's nose in, so I have no doubt I'll need the alternates.
BishopMcQ
Diplomatic Immunity from the Blind Authorities would be nice...basically the treatment of no one knows exactly who is protecting this guy, but get him out of the holding cell now, apologize for any inconvenience, and pray that he doesn't hold a grudge...
Fortune
So, I must be blind, but I missed your email address. biggrin.gif
Fenris
McQuillan - Close enough to the base diplomatic immunity that it works. I'll assume that it's done through a slightly more tenuous conenction to a Lichtenstien, a small European country known for it's very private banking system wink.gif (since in my variant, the Immortal Elves in Tir are their own faction in the Low Council)

Fortune - Hope you got points for that flaw: quantumthoughts(at)gmail(dot)com ;D
Fortune
Uh huh! nyahnyah.gif
caramel frappucino
Oh yeah, I forgot:

QUOTE (Fenris)
Since the characters are established, you can have custom gear, vehicles, foci, etc. Just make sure it's detailed out. Maximum two years of time for custom gear, foci, vehicles, drones, etc. That's not character history, that's just how much you have that you can actually roll to create or modify stuff.

Can one assume that this also includes learning new spells?
Fenris
Learning new spells or designing new spells?

You can definitely learn new spells, and the only limit on designing new spells is your skill level and the 2 year block I put out for custom stuff. Just make the rolls to design the spell and allocate time out of your 2 year custom block. Assume you have one full karma pool for the designing, and 1 full karma pool for the learning.
Fortune
What do you define as 'designing'? Can the options from canon (Caster Only, Extended, etc) be added to spells without them being considerd 'personally designed'?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012