Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th ed Core Book Shipping?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Vertaxis666
I was at my local game store today and according to the owner, his supplier/distributor should have the 4th ed. Core book in stock on Oct. 4th.

Can anyone confirm this as a real ship date? Is there truly a light at the end of this tunnel?
Azralon
I ordered mine from Barnes & Noble on Sep 6; they said it'd ship on the 22nd.

Well, it didn't. Now they're saying the 29th.

Two of my local hobby shops have, every week, said "Oh, I think it comes out next week."

indifferent.gif
Shadow_Prophet
According to battlecorps apparently its shipping october 3rd from there.
Vertaxis666
The guy I deal with called his supplier while I waited. So, the Oct. 4 date is direct from his supplier. Unfortunately, I don't know which supplier he uses for RPG stuff.
Rae
Battlecorps says early October, yes. 3rd or 4th.
jervinator
The OFFICIAL site also says 3 Oct 05. We shall see....
KageZero
Ordered it from Amazon. It's saying it will ship after the 15th to arrive after the 22nd. Of October.
fistandantilus4.0
The one that I've been going to keeps giving me different dates .But another store in my area seems to think they'll have it next week. Let you know if they were talking out of their @sses.
mtgrogan
I think that if they don't get it out by September like they advertised, I'll be skipping it. The threads here have made me wishy-washy on it anyway, and not shipping even the month they advertised will just be the straw...yada yada.
Steadfast
I must say, my paranoia lets me ask myself:
Okey hotshots, BBB out in middle of august. English HC (non BBB) shipping end of September, probably being in stores in US at the 4th - 8th October. Initial Books are already ALL preordered, which means to me, the moment the goods arrive at FP-US, the books are immediately OOS again.
Now... I don't know if FanPro Germany will have enough SR4 readily available and IF they will ship it ASAP. Cause they'll be releasing the german Version of the 4th Edi. in the middle of October...

So... I ask myself, why the delay of shipping the english Version? It can't be that the mother of FP-US, FanPro Germany, would decide to have the english Version not be shipped to customers, because they hope to have the german version released near simultaneously?

No. Can't be, I honestly know, but it stroke me odd, that this product does take that damn long to be ready to ship and sell. Specially since Adam once hinted that the SR4th is expected to be shipping in about 2 weeks AFTER GenCon Indi. Must've been a miscalculation or an honest wrong guess from his side, but still...

Enough »The-question-is-not-wether-or-not-you-are-Paranoid.-The-question-is-,-wether-or-not-you-are-paranoid -ENOUGH!« Drek
wink.gif
And lets hope it ships on the 3rd, I am itching to lay my hands on the beauty biggrin.gif

Regards
Daniel

[EDIT] The 4Rth-r-thingie was killin me, sorry[/EDIT]
Adam
So... I ask myself, why the delay of shipping the english Version? It can't be that the mother of FP-US, FanPro Germany, would decide to have the english Version not be shipped to customers, because they hope to have the german version released near simultaneously?

Ohhh! That's a good conspiracy theory! That's way better than the "FanPro is trying to make more money on PDF sales" one.

No. Can't be, I honestly know, but it stroke me odd, that this product does take that damn long to be ready to ship and sell. Specially since Adam once hinted that the SR4th is expected to be shipping in about 2 weeks AFTER GenCon Indi. Must've been a miscalculation or an honest wrong guess from his side, but still...

The bindery took way way way longer than they originally told us they would. We're not going to use them again.
Steadfast
I most definatly aprove biggrin.gif

Regards
Daniel
Kesh
QUOTE (KageZero)
Ordered it from Amazon. It's saying it will ship after the 15th to arrive after the 22nd. Of October.

Never pre-order from Amazon. Ever.
CountZero
QUOTE (Kesh)

Um... how come?
the_dunner
Amazon's been known to take more than 2 years to ship out an in-print Shadowrun book.
LynGrey
QUOTE (KageZero)

i got that same one buddy =(
Grinder
QUOTE (CountZero)
QUOTE (Kesh @ Sep 25 2005, 10:23 AM)

Um... how come?

They suck in shipping RPG books. Or at least having them available.
Better order at an online-RPG-store.
Rae
I haven't had any problems with them, but I tend to order other items at the same time.
Azralon
I ordered the hardcopy from Barnes & Noble on the 6th and it says it'll ship on the 29th. The day I placed the order I was originally told it'll ship on the 22nd.

Now we're told that the street date is Oct 3rd. For the record, B&N is still telling me it'll ship on the 29th.

What gets my goose is that this first printing is STILL going to be the uncorrected version, pre-errata. So here I am waiting and waiting for a hardcopy, knowing the whole time that it'll be an outdated version by the time it gets to me anyway.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Azralon)
I ordered the hardcopy from Barnes & Noble on the 6th and it says it'll ship on the 29th. The day I placed the order I was originally told it'll ship on the 22nd.

Now we're told that the street date is Oct 3rd. For the record, B&N is still telling me it'll ship on the 29th.

What gets my goose is that this first printing is STILL going to be the uncorrected version, pre-errata. So here I am waiting and waiting for a hardcopy, knowing the whole time that it'll be an outdated version by the time it gets to me anyway.

I don't understand why the errata issue is such a issue with people. I mean seriously? Did you expect them not to print any of these books untill after GenCon and its release?

Grow the heck up people. This happens with every thing. First printings always have mistakes when it comes to RPG's or even just games in general. Honestly, why are you holding fanpro, which sometimes having trouble living up to even reasonable standards, to even higher standards? Cut them some slack. Go grab the pdf and print it out if you don't like it.

Seriously listen to your arguments about things. Its taken them this long to get the SR4 out to us and they had started printing long before this point, in a effort to make it for GenCon. When do you think you would be getting it if they decided to wait till after GenCon to do the print JUST for you people who feel their entitled to special treatment?
Adam
QUOTE (Azralon)

Would it have been better for FanPro to not publish any errata until the book finally hit the stores?
blakkie
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Azralon @ Sep 26 2005, 11:29 AM)
What gets my goose is that this first printing is STILL going to be the uncorrected version, pre-errata.  So here I am waiting and waiting for a hardcopy, knowing the whole time that it'll be an outdated version by the time it gets to me anyway.

Would it have been better for FanPro to not publish any errata until the book finally hit the stores?

Even that would be disorientating. You should have waited at least a year to publish the first set of errata, if ever. That's closer to the norm of the past of RPG games. wink.gif
Solstice
What's rediculuos is the fact that the first printing is obsolete by the time the customers acutally get it. I mean wtf people. It takes THAT long for it to come down the pipes?? Totally disgusting. Maybe you guys should remember that we are the CUSTOMERS not just some faceless fanboys that you can pretend don't exist.

If you had souls you would actually care that your customers aren't getting a product in a timely manner.
Autarkis
QUOTE (Solstice @ Sep 26 2005, 03:33 PM)
What's rediculuos is the fact that the first printing is obsolete by the time the customers acutally get it. I mean wtf people. It takes THAT long for it to come down the pipes?? Totally disgusting. Maybe you guys should remember that we are the CUSTOMERS not just some faceless fanboys that you can pretend don't exist.

If you had souls you would actually care that your customers aren't getting a product in a timely manner.

Yes, they are soulless corporate ZOMBIES! I guess you don't have to pay them much.... nuyen.gif
Nikoli
Well, they'd probably have to close shop if they cut the current printing and destroyed it and ran a second printing without even selling enough to cover the costs of Gen*Con attendance let alone business expenses.

Admitedly, most of this errata should have been dealt with prior to the first printing, but that's the price for every media, there are always mistakes, even in text books.
BaronKen
QUOTE (Adam)

Perhaps put out the PDF version early enough so that you get your errata feedback in time for the printed version to be updated. Although since errata keeps coming for quite some time, the printed version would never arrive dead.gif
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Solstice)

First off, if you have seen any of my posts on the matter you would realize I have lost complete faith in fanpro concerning their ability to do anything. I've publicly stated that I think they've botched this thing from the begining especialy the decimination of information.

But atleast my argument has a basis in reality here.

Its rediculous that a book need eratta changes after its been sent to the printers and getting out to the public? I suppose you've never had a piece of software that needed a patch or haven't looked at the pages and pages of erata on all the 3rd ed stuff. Much less you've never looked at the fact that every game out there has errata from its first printing.

If you noticed, theres been problems here and there. Fanpro has royaly screwed up yes. Thats why its taken so long to get this book out that should have been ready for sale to the general at the begining of september. The first printing just got finished binding. And their shipping it out now. You don't just scrap a entire pile of almost completely correct books that realy only need a few minor changes and common sense applied to them, and waste all that money because a few people are making unrealistic demands.

Grow the hell up.

Its one thing to yell at them for it taking so long and botching this whole thing. Its another for you to yell at them that they should have scraped everything and reprinted it just for you and wasted all that money.

I'll be first in line to blast Fanpro here about their lack of communication and their poor handeling of this entire thing. But you're here making unreasonable demands on a company that can barely get its act together to put out what we have, which, considering some of the recent releases from very well known rpg makers, is a hell of a good product all in all (assuming you don't count the artwork).
jervinator
I still say it's best to have a few thousand copies printed and bound BEFORE announcing a street date. Sure, they might need errata sheets later, but that's gaming.
But it's not entirely FanPro's fault. I think that they had as much faith that they'd have the books in their warehouses before now as we do that they would've shipped it out by now. We ALL got shafted here!
Clyde
The problem with getting everything printed and bound is money. They have to pay up in advance to the printers, then ship things to distributotrs. If they want to store it, they need to find space for the physical books, too. All those charges add up - which hits the bottom line and makes future SR products less likely. FASA shut its doors voluntarily, but you can bet your sweet ass that if there was serious money in the RPG business you'd get fewer volunteers. FANPRO probably doesn't have the cash to take that kind of risk.

And even if they have the books in advance, FANPRO doesn't have any control over the street date. There are three intermediaries - the shipping people (who can foul anything up), the distributors (whom FANPRO needs in order to sell their product at all - without these people SR dies) and finally the retailers (a zillion different people with their own foibles and agendas). It just ain't possible for Fanpro to control when their product comes out - all they can do is give us their best estimates and try to keep us informed as things develop. Which they've done. Taking the extra risk of sitting on product for a few weeks to make a few dumpshockers happy just doesn't make any sense when you see all the other ways things can go wrong.
Solstice
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 26 2005, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Sep 26 2005, 02:33 PM)

First off, if you have seen any of my posts on the matter you would realize I have lost complete faith in fanpro concerning their ability to do anything. I've publicly stated that I think they've botched this thing from the begining especialy the decimination of information.

But atleast my argument has a basis in reality here.

Its rediculous that a book need eratta changes after its been sent to the printers and getting out to the public? I suppose you've never had a piece of software that needed a patch or haven't looked at the pages and pages of erata on all the 3rd ed stuff. Much less you've never looked at the fact that every game out there has errata from its first printing.

If you noticed, theres been problems here and there. Fanpro has royaly screwed up yes. Thats why its taken so long to get this book out that should have been ready for sale to the general at the begining of september. The first printing just got finished binding. And their shipping it out now. You don't just scrap a entire pile of almost completely correct books that realy only need a few minor changes and common sense applied to them, and waste all that money because a few people are making unrealistic demands.

Grow the hell up.

Its one thing to yell at them for it taking so long and botching this whole thing. Its another for you to yell at them that they should have scraped everything and reprinted it just for you and wasted all that money.

I'll be first in line to blast Fanpro here about their lack of communication and their poor handeling of this entire thing. But you're here making unreasonable demands on a company that can barely get its act together to put out what we have, which, considering some of the recent releases from very well known rpg makers, is a hell of a good product all in all (assuming you don't count the artwork).

Where did I say they should scrap everything and reprint it with the errata? You sure read alot into that....you know what happens when we ASSume. I didn't demand anything besides a product on the shelves in a timely manner which pretty much any customer demands.
mtgrogan
Timely is as timely does. Just have it out the MONTH you said you would and put on your website. I'll be passing on this one. Just too many offerings from companies that can at least deliver when they advertise: or have the sense not to advertise before they know they can deliver. Then there are the complaints....
Lord Ben
Within minutes of getting the book and reading the cyberware sections several glaring mistakes jump RIGHT out at you. Availability 64 occular drone? That took like a minute to find.

An editor could have found those obvious errors with one days work.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Solstice)

Allow me to bold your above statements from which I drew my conclusions.

Those two statements combined with the fact that the argument had shifted to discussions of errata in the first printing lead me to believe that you were not just upset with how long it took to come out, but as well one of those who was pissed that the eratta was not in it.

Want to call me a ass go right ahead if it makes you feel better.

Within minutes of getting the book and reading the cyberware sections several glaring mistakes jump RIGHT out at you. Availability 64 occular drone? That took like a minute to find.

An editor could have found those obvious errors with one days work.

Well Thats true certainly there are a few of those mistakes. But considering we're actualy finaly be able to get the damn book I'm happy with the fact there are less mistakes in this than there are in some other recent RPG books. Heck with the way they've handled things, we should be lucky that we will have the book when we do.
Solstice
I don't need to repeat myself. My expectations are totally realistic and are the bare minimum for a respectable company. Unfortunately, said expectations were not met and this gaffe isn't helping to acheive their goal of reviving a struggling setting with new blood.
Autarkis
QUOTE (Solstice)
I don't need to repeat myself. My expectations are totally realistic and are the bare minimum for a respectable company. Unfortunately, said expectations were not met and this gaffe isn't helping to acheive their goal of reviving a struggling setting with new blood.

What do you expect from soulless workers, Sol? grinbig.gif
Solstice
ok well they probably aren't soulless and they are probably really nice normal people but they screwed up lol.

embarrassed.gif
jervinator
QUOTE (Clyde)
The problem with getting everything printed and bound is money. They have to pay up in advance to the printers, then ship things to distributotrs. If they want to store it, they need to find space for the physical books, too. All those charges add up - which hits the bottom line and makes future SR products less likely. FASA shut its doors voluntarily, but you can bet your sweet ass that if there was serious money in the RPG business you'd get fewer volunteers. FANPRO probably doesn't have the cash to take that kind of risk.

And even if they have the books in advance, FANPRO doesn't have any control over the street date. There are three intermediaries - the shipping people (who can foul anything up), the distributors (whom FANPRO needs in order to sell their product at all - without these people SR dies) and finally the retailers (a zillion different people with their own foibles and agendas). It just ain't possible for Fanpro to control when their product comes out - all they can do is give us their best estimates and try to keep us informed as things develop. Which they've done. Taking the extra risk of sitting on product for a few weeks to make a few dumpshockers happy just doesn't make any sense when you see all the other ways things can go wrong.

I thought that was part of the normal cost of doing business. Now, if this were an ordinary supplement, I could see maybe only printing/binding/storing a few copies. But I think it's safe to say that the new BBB would be popular enough to justify pushing hard to make it happen. It's less of a risk for the base set than for any expansion.
And if history is any judge, it's FAR less risky than another Rigger book! smokin.gif

Of course, the problems aren't just there either. The people up- and down-stream of them have to deliver too. But for it to take THIS long after the 'official' release date if ridiculous. This ain't just a couple of weeks....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012