Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PDF 1.1 issues
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nikoli
Is anyone else getting strange errors in their PDF's?
Notably, on page 139, instead of numbers I get squares with x's in them in the body text. I've tried two different versions of acrobat reader and the same issue on both.
blakkie
Numbers? If you mean the italic text on that page shows up as 'X' in a box for each character, no you aren't the only one. If you want to know what the text is copy and paste the characters to something like Notepad or MS Word. The font that is used for the italic text is "GaramondPremrPro-It" (i determined this by copy-pasting it to Microsoft Word) so likely our systems don't display that font [edit:in italics] correctly in Acrobat for whatever reason. Interestingly when i print it out from Acrobat my printer does handle it properly, so the print driver/printer magic is translating it to whatever font it needs to be.
Nikoli
It used to not have that issue.
Only recently did it do this.
NightRain
QUOTE (Nikoli)
It used to not have that issue.
Only recently did it do this.

That's what I've found. I didn't notice it on my first read through, but they're there now...
Tzeentch
See it on mine as well.
Shadow_Prophet
Yeah I'm getting that now as well.

EDIT: ATM it seems that its only on page 139....but I haven't checked every page yet. But this is rather upsetting considering the cost of the pdf.
Nikoli
I'm pretty sure it wasn't doing this prior, but I could most certainly be wrong. I might have read that page originally in the previous version and not in the new one.
ambidextrous
From Adam on the listserv:
It's a bug in the file; some strange voodoo happened when I did a
page-replacement, and page 139 [and only page 139, to the best of my
knowledge] has some text that was un-handily replaced by a bunch of
boxes. Fucking PDFs. Drive me to drinking.

It will be fixed in the next release of the eBook, which will coincide
with the second printing of Shadowrun, Fourth Edition.

cheers,
Adam
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (ambidextrous)
From Adam on the listserv:
It's a bug in the file; some strange voodoo happened when I did a
page-replacement, and page 139 [and only page 139, to the best of my
knowledge] has some text that was un-handily replaced by a bunch of
boxes. Fucking PDFs. Drive me to drinking.

cheers,
Adam

Well thats good to know atleast.
Nikoli
Well, it's mildly comforting, does this mean those of us that purchased the PDF will get a another free go at it? I don't want to assume as it's been some time since the last one.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Well, it's mildly comforting, does this mean those of us that purchased the PDF will get a another free go at it? I don't want to assume as it's been some time since the last one.

I would hope so.
Adam
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Sep 26 2005, 10:06 AM)
Well, it's mildly comforting, does this mean those of us that purchased the PDF will get a another free go at it?  I don't want to assume as it's been some time since the last one.

Yes. To the best of my knowledge, both eBook providers will be providing updates to all previous customers when we update the file.
Nikoli
Awesome, thanks Adam.
I'm only critical because I think so highly of you guys.
Keep up the good work.
Gildashard
Is there a date on that and the 2nd printing?
BaronKen
Finally, a street date! from the Shadowrunrpg.com website.

Shadowrun Fourth Edition will be shipping to distributors next week, which means we have an official street release date of October 3rd. This first print run is going to go fast, so get it while you can!

I read somewhere else that the 2nd update to the PDF would coincide with the printed edition release.
Fortune
QUOTE (BaronKen)
I read somewhere else that the 2nd update to the PDF would coincide with the printed edition release.

The second PDF update is supposed to coincide with the second print run. Not the version that is hitting the stores in the next week or two.
BaronKen
I stand corrected, thanks Fortune smile.gif

cheers,
Adam
fionn
First off, sorry for being a little off topic. Is the PDF searchable?
Fortune
Yes, it is completely searchable.

And you are not off-topic at all. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012