Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bio/Cyberware and Shapechange
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
calypso
How does bioware/cyberware interact with the spell Shapechange? I can see a strong argument for bioware working just fine, but what about cyberware? For instance: Bone Lacing.

Calypso
Nikoli
Either absorbed on a temporary basis (except maybe on a critical glitch) or rendered inert due to the change in physiology. Same with bioware in many cases.
Eagle
To keep it simple and quick I would say that 'ware becomes inert. Saves from trouble with the jacking cat. This is because as a GM I like my life simple and easy, complex and difficult makes me want to use cyberzombies.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (calypso)
How does bioware/cyberware interact with the spell Shapechange?

The spell does not exclude it and does not state it is 'consumed'.
Thus it is transformed to fit the new form, but remains operational.
Not that much of a problem, given the fact it was paid with Essence.
Crusher Bob
The rulings of previous editions were that anything you paid essence for was generally effected by magic. So you didn't have to worry about losing all your ware if you got shapechanged. Besides, don't you want to be a shark with frickin' laser beam eyes? grinbig.gif
chevalier_neon
Which in this case is a good thing as turn-to-goo won't be used to steal cyber to the victims as a thread was proposing... sleepy.gif
Crusher Bob
Eh? no, you turn them to goo to produce low drain instant incapacitation (at least for humans, elfs, and some dwarves and orks).

Then you neatly saw their head off. Then you have a body with it's head neatly removed, and none of the abuse that all of those valuable internal organs might have suffered in some other form of combat. As an added bonus effect, being turned to goo might be an effective form of ''refrigeration''...

Not to mention the spell's description:
"Non-living material—including clothing, gear, and cyberware—is not affected"

But let's face it, turn to goo is broken. cast at, say, force 5 (drain 4), you can produce instant incapacitation against 90+ percent of your targets. It's right up there with stun bolt, one net success on turn to goo and the target is out of the fight (or course, you still have to sustain the spell).

[edit]
The equivalent drain stun bolt is force 11, which will also produce instant incapacitation (without sustaining), of course, the drain would be physical, and you'd need a magic of 6 to cast it. Still, force 9 or 10 stun bolt is almost as good.

So, I guess turn to goo is the combat spell for low magic casters, while stun bolt is the combat spell for the high magic ones...

[/edit]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012