Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions on Drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mike_Black
Hello

My first questions is about autosofts.
Do I need to buy them once and do they run on my Commlink, so all Drones can use them?
OR
Does each Drone needs his own Autosoft (e.g.: I have Clearsight for each one seperatly...)?
If so, do I need to buy it once (and then copy it)
OR
for each drone seperatly
OR
perhaps for each different size-class of drones (idea is: a microdrone does not have that much RAM as a large drone, so the Autosoft has to be programmed differently)

Second question is on OS:
Each drone has device rating 3. So they have Respons=Signal=Firewall=System=3 (p.213 device rating, first paragraph, last sentence)
On the other hand it says Pilot = System, which in the case of the core rulebook means each drone has System 3 (perfect match to device rating).
When I now want to update this stats (e.g. Response to 4) I need to buy Response 4 for 2000 Nuyen and can't upgrade buy buying 1 Point Response, right?

Third: If i want a nice commlink (same as the sample drone rigger) with "device rating of 5", do I need to buy an expencive Transys Avalon (Resp4/Sign4 - 5000Nuy) and than modify it to Rating 5 OR can I just by a simple Meta Link (Resp1/Sign2 - 100Nuy) and then modify this.... Same to OS?

Thanks for your help
Mike
Ranneko
Each Pilot for a drone needs their own Autosoft.

You could buy one for each (which is what you would have to do at chargen) or:

you could program your own

or break the copy protection on a bought copy and then upload it to each of your Pilots.
Mike_Black
Why does the sample rigger then only have one Autosoft of each type? For the 4 drones with guns he owns, he should then have 4 times targeting, 4xClearsight,...
Nikoli
Well in 3rd edition, you could load the software on your RC deck and broadcast it to your drone network, however should get jammed and the drone go on autopilot, they are without the software.
I imagine this hasn't changed, you can load it into your commlink and they all share from your signal bounty until jammed or each get's their own copy.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Mike_Black)
Why does the sample rigger then only have one Autosoft of each type?

Because he is a unholy software pirate and just copies them to whatever drone he needs them to be.
TonkaTuff
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Mike_Black)
Why does the sample rigger then only have one Autosoft of each type?

Because he is a unholy software pirate and just copies them to whatever drone he needs them to be.

That's the most likely explaination. With as relatively quick and simple as the cracking test is, our GM just went ahead and houseruled that pretty much any software your runner has at chargen is can be assumed to be cracked, unless you make a note of it otherwise.

With most runners being no-good criminals, it's a good bet that big-ticket legal purchases (like the several hundred to thousands of nuyen for software) will be avoided whenever possible. If you're rolling with a fake SIN, you're going to use it sparingly to prevent one of those embarrassing, "I'm sorry, the computer says you don't exist" moments when you just wanted to get a copy of Unrealistic Tournament Fighters 8. And if you don't have a SIN at all, you're not likely to easily convince the counter-jockey down at the StarterMart software department to accept that much cash. So you're going to hit the corner warez dealers and the like for most of your needs.

And it's not like the char just woke up one morning, said "I'm gonna be a shadowrunner from now on," and headed down to StarterMart to pick up 30k worth of hacking programs and a new commlink after they loaded up on EX ammo. They've had most of their gear for a while, and/or accumulated it piecemeal - plenty of time to get their software cracked (and double-checked to see that the Cracker didn't leave you a nasty surprise) for all their uploading needs. For that matter, most of the archs who're software-reliant would probably have done the job themselves - it's not as if they go on runs 24/7.
Mike_Black
So (at Char-Gen) I only need to buy every Programm once, assume it is cracked and install it on every drone I own, right?

Whats up with System and Firewall then? Do I have to buy them only once too and then assume they are cracked and install them on all drones I have?
Vector
That's a good question... are OS programs considered to be cracked just like regular programs? I don't see why not but... what do you guys think?
Wasabi
I don't presume to say how it should work, but Agents say they can be loaded with a copy of the Hackers programs and Pilots work like Agents. Since cracking is not mentioned as a pre-req it is not, IMO, clear that Agents cannot share programs they are 'loaded' with.
Rotbart van Dainig
Software can be cracked - System/Firewall/Pilot/Agent/IC is software... happy cracking. grinbig.gif
calypso
It says in the book that you can freely share any program you have with your agents. I'm assuming the same applies to drones.

Calypso
Mike_Black
So I buy Clearsight 5 once and give it to all my drones?
Does firewall count as program too for that reasons? Do i only need to buy a firewall 5 and then I can equip all my drones with that firewall?

Mike
Rotbart van Dainig
Autosofts are capped at 4, Firewall is no Program, nor limited by Response.
Mike_Black
So I still need to buy a firewall for each drone seperatly? Can't crack the firewall?

And why is autosoft (as a program) capped at 4?

Mike
Rotbart van Dainig
Sure you can.

Why? Same reason why Activesofts are capped at 4 - it's written in the rules.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Mike_Black)
So I still need to buy a firewall for each drone seperatly?

You only need a seperate firewall for Drones if you'll be unsubscribing them. Subscribed drones are in your PAN and use your PAN's firewall.
Rotbart van Dainig
Baaad idea - spoofing Commands works either way.
Nikoli
Hrmm, spoofing commands to the touchlink to simulate an acetalyne torch to the eyeball...
Wasabi
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Baaad idea - spoofing Commands works either way.

You obviously have a thought there, but I didnt catch it. Could you explain what you meant by the quoted text above?

(Brain dead this morning and missing your point, sorry!)
Rotbart van Dainig
Once somebody gets hold of your Access ID, he may send Commands to your Drones as if he was you - this is resisted with the Firewall of the Drone, too.
Wasabi
If the drone is in my PAN would a Spoof Command test be opposed by the PAN's firewall?

Here's why I ask... the drone could be hacked directly since it has a Signal rating and is a Node, but its node is inside my PAN so its inside my firewall. My firewall therefore defends it making a second firewall sort of unnecessary.

Am I missing something here?

Rotbart van Dainig
Point is - if it is spoofed correctly, your Drone thinks that Order came from your PAN... it's the firewall of the Drone that matters.

Usually, this is no issue as most things in your PAN extend about 3m in Signal.
Nikoli
Which is why i splurged and upgraded not only the firewall of my drone and motorcycle, I also upgraded the system and pilot for the motorcycle and loaded an EW autosoft into my drone.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 28 2005, 11:08 AM)
Point is - if it is spoofed correctly, your Drone thinks that Order came from your PAN... it's the firewall of the Drone that matters.

Usually, this is no issue as most things in your PAN extend about 3m in Signal.

I don't see how the Drone inside the commlink's firewall (PAN) would not look for a forged signal incoming... thats what firewalls *DO*. If someone spoofs it has to go through the PANs firewall unless perhaps they are inside the PAN after a successful login operation and regardless of the real or forged AccessID the spoofed command gets scanned by the PANs firewall 'cause thats what the firewall does.

After all, when something is subscribed the two access IDs are 'trusting' each other but the firewall makes sure the traffic between them is legit kinda like a VPN IRL.
Vector
And Firewall and Response are considered some sort of hardware rather than software, right, meaning you can't just copy it from one device to another like you do with other programs (System, Attack, etc.)?
kigmatzomat
Response and Signal are hardware, equating to CPUs and transmitters.

System and Firewall are software. System is your OS and firewall has antivirus/intrusion detection/traffic monitoring applications.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Wasabi)
After all, when something is subscribed the two access IDs are 'trusting' each other but the firewall makes sure the traffic between them is legit kinda like a VPN IRL.

Just Spoofing commands is approximatly a Man in the Middle Attack.

RaW, it does not need to infiltrate your PAN.
Vector
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
Response and Signal are hardware, equating to CPUs and transmitters.

System and Firewall are software. System is your OS and firewall has antivirus/intrusion detection/traffic monitoring applications.

Meaning if you have a cracked version of Firewall, there's nothing stopping you from putting it on every device you own.
kigmatzomat
Arrr, ye be speaking true, matey! Raise that pirate flag and salute the Jolly Roger!
counterveil
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 28 2005, 09:54 PM)
Just Spoofing commands is approximatly a Man in the Middle Attack.

RaW, it does not need to infiltrate your PAN.

Yuppers. Just like hitting any node responding on an open signal.

Now...maybe you could wire the drone to your body with long cables and disable the wireless portion so that physically they would have to infiltrate *your* pan to get to the hardware... biggrin.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Given Microwire, this may be an interisting possibility, especially when using those Spider Drones to infiltrate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012