Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The new book
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lord Ben
Will it be the newer PDF with the errata changes to occular drone availability, etc? Or will it be the crappy version they sold at GENcon?
Aku
which new book are you talking about?

Adam mentioned that the new PDF release will coincide with the second printing of SR4, which will have all of the errata up until the point it went to the printers. You won't know exactly how much that is, likely, until they actually release the second printing, and tell you what's fixed in it. At the minimum, it will be what's already posted as errata, i'd imagine.
Crusher Bob
Hopefully this means that most buyers will actually get archetypes that follow the rules.
Aku
heh, it does seem like most of the first printing went to people that are pre-ordering (since, afaik, it hasnt even hit shelves yet) so i guess thats a good thing, as far as the life of sr 4 goes.
Adam
The first printing -- the one available in stores next week -- is the same printing that was available at GenCon.
Lord Ben
So it'll have availability 16 wired reflexes 2 and stuff right?

When will they fix that crap? I don't want to keep a printed errata in my book the next 5 years and I don't want to buy it twice either.
blakkie
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Sep 26 2005, 10:09 AM)
So it'll have availability 16 wired reflexes 2 and stuff right? 

When will they fix that crap?  I don't want to keep a printed errata in my book the next 5 years and I don't want to buy it twice either.

Buy the PDF! smile.gif Given how well the PDF has gone so far for me i'm wondering how often i'll be buying physical books again. I do have an LE on order through the FLGS, and they haven't called me to tell the order won't be filled. So i'll have that physical chunck in my hands, but depending on how i feel about when i get it in my hands i might put it up for resale to someone that will appreciate it more. *shrug*
Lord Ben
I like a hardback I can take with me into the bathroom. smile.gif I have 2.75 kids, it's the only peace and quiet I have!

PDF's are nice but I want a real book and I'm not buying two.
blakkie
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Sep 26 2005, 10:31 AM)
I like a hardback I can take with me into the bathroom.  smile.gif  I have 2.75 kids, it's the only peace and quiet I have!

PDF's are nice but I want a real book and I'm not buying two.

I'm fortunate in that i have a laser printer, so it wasn't that bad to print it out. I then spent less than 4$ CDN to have the local Office Depot to bind it with a plastic spiral coil (the ones that look like a stretched out slinky). That sucks for trying to put sheets in later, but for actually reading, especially when in a porcelin situation, it is great. I can fold it around back on it's self and hold it with one hand and not worry about the spline. As a bonus i don't really worry about water splashing or the kids (or fellow players wink.gif ) grabbing it and chewing on the corner a bit.

P.S. 2.5 kids here, i know exactly what you are talking about. smile.gif

EDIT: I do get the "i like the asthetics" about a physical purchase book. It's the only thing that is keeping me for not just saying no more at all. It is just a trade-off for having the most up-to-date possible.
apollo124
So, when will the 2nd printing hit the shelves? I know, kinda jumping the gun since the 1st print ain't on the shelves yet, but if I'm gonna plunk down $35, I want the best book I can get. By the way, also got and really like the pdf, but there isn't anything like having the actual book in hand.
Fortune
QUOTE (apollo124)
So, when will the 2nd printing hit the shelves?

When all the books from the first print run are gone.
Fox1
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (apollo124 @ Sep 27 2005, 03:35 AM)

hmm.... Nope, not worth it.

Given what I've read here, there really isn't anything in 4th edition that inspires me and some things are serious turn-offs. And now with rapid fire edition changes before the books have even shipped, its time to cancel my order.

Besides, I have another real world 4+ years of gaming ahead of me with the old 3rd edition products I already own. My group is only in 2053 now.

I'll let the dust settle for a while and see what their product line up for 4th edition is like. If it looks good in total, then I'll order.

Aku
umm, fox1, i would think t would be a good showing that 1) the first run of books has sold out so quicky) and that they're willing and able to make the neccessary errata changes to the book.

hell, they could be like the makers of the crpg Dungeon Loirds, still waiting for ver 1.4 to fix the game....
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 26 2005, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (apollo124 @ Sep 27 2005, 03:35 AM)

hmm.... Nope, not worth it.

Given what I've read here, there really isn't anything in 4th edition that inspires me and some things are serious turn-offs. And now with rapid fire edition changes before the books have even shipped, its time to cancel my order.

Besides, I have another real world 4+ years of gaming ahead of me with the old 3rd edition products I already own. My group is only in 2053 now.

I'll let the dust settle for a while and see what their product line up for 4th edition is like. If it looks good in total, then I'll order.

if you have so much 3rd ed stuff to last you that long why did you bother ordering it in the first place?

And in all honesty, this isn't the place I'd come to for inspiration on anything...
Fox1
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
if you have so much 3rd ed stuff to last you that long why did you bother ordering it in the first place?

I love hardcover gaming books, have always liked the setting of SR even when I didn't like specific rules, and I also like to have the complete history so that I can create far reaching adventure arcs based off of it.

Admittedly that last is only possible since I brought into the game three years ago after most of the history was already a done deal. Thus I was able to use or discard as needed knowing everything that happened for the next 11 years of game time.

I don't think I would have had as much fun with it if I had signed on with 1st edition on day 1.

And that perhaps defines my self-created problem. I had a image of 14 years of game history, and 4th edition changes the style of those years significantly...

And in all honesty, this isn't the place I'd come to for inspiration on anything...

These boards? There's some great stuff here.

Jrayjoker
QUOTE (blakkie)
[QUOTE=Lord Ben,Sep 26 2005, 10:31 AM] I like a hardback I can take with me into the bathroom. smile.gif I have 2.75 kids, it's the only peace and quiet I have!

P.S. 2.5 kids here, i know exactly what you are talking about. smile.gif

P.P.S. - 4 kids here, and I love the pdf. Not only does the errata get included in updates, but I have a binder at work. I fear no damage.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fox1)
<Snip>

2053?

And I thought my clock was running slow being that It is now only August '63 in my campaign.

In 2053 the Serb Occupation of Croatia was in it's first year. The protagonist (Leela) was only ten years old, had just woken up from life saving implant surgery and had entered intensive rehabilitative therapy. It would be two years before the antagonist, Rita Kovec, would take control of the Serbian SSID and cozy up to the New Soviet to help rebuild (read re-arm) her nation..

I still look at just over 6 years left under SR3. There are several more events to happen in my campaign during what I am now calling: "Shadowrun, The Lost Years: 2064 - 2070"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012