Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much can Mask change your appearance?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
calypso
Can the Mask spell make a troll look like a human? To what extent do you think Mask can change your appearance?

Calypso
JesterX
The Mask spell requires the caster to touch the subject. The
subject assumes a different physical appearance (of the same basic
size and shape) chosen by the caster. This alters the subject’s
voice, scent, and other physical characteristics as well.

You can't change size/shape by much. So a human can pass for an elf but not for a Troll. You can look like anyone.
calypso
But you could make a troll look like an 8' 2" human biggrin.gif
6thDragon
I hope this isn't too far off topic, because I've often wondered about it. Can Mask allow the subject to impersonate someone else? If it changes the voice it leads one to believe it could. I guess it also depends on the familiarity between the caster and the person the subject is passing themselves off as and the ability of the subject to mimic the mannerisms of the person and well as who they have to pass themselves off to. This leads me to wonder if a free spirit with human form could impersonate someone as well. Thoughts?
Backgammon
I don't quite recall if this is a forum concensus, a FAQ answer or just my own opinion (well, it's definately at least my opinion), but in order to impersonate someone the mage should roll and Intelligence test to remember in detail the person being impersonated in order to create a convincing likeness. In SR4 terms, I'd say that's Int + Perception threshold 2-3, or roll for success and use that in an Opposed test with someone who might spot the impersonation.
DrJest
I would have approached it from a slightly different angle and made it a use of Disguise with a hefty bonus for the use of the Mask skill. Horses for courses.
Fortune
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Sep 28 2005, 08:41 AM)
In SR4 terms, I'd say that's Int + Perception threshold 2-3, or roll for success and use that in an Opposed test with someone who might spot the impersonation.

You could probably substitute disguise for perception, maybe even with 'hits' from the spell adding dice to the skill check.

[edit] Or basically, what DrJest said! nyahnyah.gif

I have to remember to refresh occasionally! biggrin.gif [/edit]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012