Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cybered attack dolphins loose in the Gulf?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowDragon8685
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/internation...1577753,00.html

Okay, maybe electrodes implanted under the skin for the purposes of electrically delivering signals to the dolphin isen't quite cyber, but...
hermit
Well, this is utter nonsense, actually. Those dolphins are trained, not cybered. Cybered dolphins wouldn't last too long, if you poke electrodes into an animal's brain it usually dies rather fast, and has to be kept heavily sedated to not crack under pain.

The CIA once tried to cyber up cats with surveillance equipment. The only field test I know of was at teh Soviet Embassy, where the cat was to cross the street andsit before an embassy window. The cat was so drugged it was run over by a car crossing the street.
Dog
Fascinating how much of a story you can create with proper application of the word "may."

Hmmm.... a friend of mine, let's call him a "source" said he's tired of Dumpshock. Dumpshock hasn't posted anything that says they're trying to fix that, so....

"Dumpshock may be on its last legs! Sources suggest it could shut down as early as next month!"

Read all about it.
ShadowDragon8685
Fyad oh noes! Dumpshock is shutting down, OH NO!

*headless chicken panic.*

But this wasen't electrodes under the brain, it was in the blubber. I get the impression that it means that if they want the dolphin to go left, they give him a tiny jolt behind the left 'shoulder', if you will.
Wiz In Red
"Dumpshock may be on its last legs! Sources suggest it could shut down as early as next month!"

What are we going to do? Where will people get to read all those brilliantly sarcastic comments that everyone loves to whine about? wink.gif

Seriously though, read the news carefully, but don't read between the lines when there's nothing there.
Dog
That the U.S. military has put electrodes into dolphins is about the most likely-to-be-true part of the article....
Sicarius
The Dolphins are actually a very effective anti-swimmer defense. My brother (former Marine Force Recon) says they are mean little bastards, whose natural attack is to butt you with there nose. The Navy just riggs them with a variety of harnesses to go off when they make contact. the article suggests a stun toxin, but my brother said they can use firearm rounds. He described it like the bang sticks they some times use against sharks.
nezumi
QUOTE (Dog)

Was I the only one who read this and was tempted to put up a poll on where people will go after DS shuts down?
Link
My brother (former Marine Force Recon) says they are mean little bastards, whose natural attack is to butt you with there nose.

I learned this watching Flipper deal with those frickin' sharks.
Arethusa
Dolphins are nice and some of the friendliest wild animals you can hope to run into, but don't mistake that for harmlessness.

Anyway, there is no story. Anything may have happened. Nothing actually did. Yay journalism!
nick012000
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Dolphins are nice and some of the friendliest wild animals you can hope to run into, but don't mistake that for harmlessness.

Anyway, there is no story. Anything may have happened. Nothing actually did. Yay journalism!

Which is why the young males sometimes rape the females by holding her underwater until she allows them to penetrate her.

Yeah, really nice...
Arethusa
Brilliant. Why don't we derail the rest of this fucking worthless thread by asininely applying sentient human societal mores to animals!
fistandantilus4.0
can do!

I'm pissed at the dolphins for not paying taxes! Stupid welfare dolphins!
nick012000
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Brilliant. Why don't we derail the rest of this fucking worthless thread by asininely applying sentient human societal mores to animals!

I was just pointing out that dolphins aren't the sickeningly nice critters that popular culture makes them out to be. Sue me.
fistandantilus4.0
yeah, and racoons aren't to nice either. Geez guys , really, it's a frickin' fish (ok mammal, whatever). Let it go, go play on another thread. ( I recommend the drop bears personally. Has all the weird animal hijinks and fake-cute-ness you could ask for!)
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Arethusa)

Begging the question.
Dog
Yeah, this is stupid. Let's get back to the elves and trolls, and debate target modifiers for burst fire and what constitutes line-of-sight for elemental manipulations. That's not worthless or assinine. Get back on track people! This discussion is... bad ... somehow....

Y'know, this is probably the bloody cyber-dolphins' idea, anyway. Buggers. Watch for it in Threats III!

I knew a girl, years ago, who burst into tears when she saw captive dolphins in the mall. I wonder what she'd make of this. She was funny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012