Egon
Wi-Fi negation
Wi-fi-inhibiting paint and wallpaper are commonly used
to prevent an internal wireless network from leaking outside of
a building—and to prevent intruders from extending their own
networks inside. Wi-fi negation schemes are treated like jammers
(p. 321); any Signal rating less than the negating system’s
rating cannot extend past the boundary.

So if I load this in to a spray gun and cover a rigger/drone/technomancer. The would be SOL correct? Maybe combine it with some other jamming to boost the rating up real high while letting our guys still operate.

options
paint bomb in the security room or drone storage
spray cameras to black them out and drop them off the net
spray down what you are stealing to make sure it isn't telling people where you are.

PS I know that in a lot of cases it is easier to just kill/destroy the rigger/drone/technomancer, but this doesn't seem like a bad option to have. I mean when the custom drone rolls out with hardened armour and god knows what else it would be nice just to stop it with some paint.
Darksong
QUOTE (Egon @ Sep 28 2005, 10:10 PM)
So if I load this in to a spray gun and cover a rigger/drone/technomancer. The would be SOL correct? Maybe combine it with some other jamming to boost the rating up real high while letting our guys still operate.

there's the rub...
Backgammon
Hmm, I would as a GM make sure these conditions are met:
1) Enough paint thickness is used. A quick spray-over won't work, you need like a normal double coated wall-paiting
2) The ENTIRE item is is properly coated. Missing just an inch will be enough for those pesky radio signals to get through, so make sure it's a good job
3) Paint shoiuld probably be dry

(Note: this is absed on my understanding or radio frequecies, so if someone with ebtter physics knowledge than me says this is incorrect, well that will change things.)

As suich, it would be pretty hard to render useless an active drone, though coating small items is possible.
Egon
maybe use some thing thats thicker then paint, or a faraday cage/net thing, and aim for the antenna. Even if it is no good agenst moble things I can see using it on objects you don't want tracked. Maybe a wi-fi proof bag/faraday cage.
Nikoli
Honestly, homes and offices in SR1~3 all ready had this, but the game designers did not realize it. Remeber the fluff text about houses having the electrically charged paint and carpets to keep dust from settling so that it gets sucked up and filtered by the HVAC? That should be enough to block all signals because it would be a faraday cage.
DireRadiant
What about the old chaff trick? Big bag of tiny metallic strips tossed around the room with a leaf blower.
Nikoli
Mythbusters Busted that myth. Home-made chaff has no effect on radar or radio signals (excepts maybe really shoddily made ones)
Space Ghost
If only you could make that paint into a gas. Filling a room with it would block pretty much anything.
Daishi440
Why go for paint, you could make a tarpaulin and just throw it over the drone. If it blocks all the radio (Laced with metal wires) you are away!

Sounds more like early episodes of Dr. Who vs. the darleks than a shadowrun game though.

I am still very very confused as to why everything would be wireless. Like a camera. A wire in the wall is way better than a wireless link, and a million times cheaper.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Honestly, homes and offices in SR1~3 all ready had this, but the game designers did not realize it. Remeber the fluff text about houses having the electrically charged paint and carpets to keep dust from settling so that it gets sucked up and filtered by the HVAC? That should be enough to block all signals because it would be a faraday cage.

a faraday cage is more about a metal grid that absorbs the energy of the signal then it being electricaly charged.

as myhbusters seems to show up a lot on this forum lately (realy nice show so i can see why) adam buildt a faraday cage just from some fine metal net and some wood framework.

i dont recall it being powerd at any time, only that it was covering all sides fully. hell, he even stepped inside with a cellphone to prove that it worked. no signal.

so to turn a room into something similar, forget about windows, and make sure allso the doors are coverd. oh, and dont forget floor and ceiling...

electricaly charged carpets will be more of a noice source then a cage. and i wonder how the user would feel unless walking around with rubber soles all day. ok so the carpet would be grounded but still, touch one metal object while standing on this and who knows what may happen?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Daishi440)
I am still very very confused as to why everything would be wireless. Like a camera. A wire in the wall is way better than a wireless link, and a million times cheaper.

not if you count the number of workhours it will take to put up said wires.

with wireless you just put it in the right place and presto its ready.

and if you make sure its hidden, and put out some fake ones (cheap plastic case and lense, nothing inside. or maybe a rfid that imitates a cameras signal) that are clearly visible then the runners will got for the fake ones first. unless the hacker takes the time to check if the signal is actualy coming from the one in the upper corner smokin.gif

Shadow_Prophet
Not to mention it would be hard to paint the camera no matter what rules you would be using for the paint (quick or multiple coats). The wireless transmitter for the camera could be in the wall, or ceiling itself, attaced on the other side of the foot that holds it in place just for that reason. Seems like a smart and intelligent things just about anyone would do. Why put the physical transmitter out where it can be easily messed with?
Moonlight Song
spray down what you are stealing to make sure it isn't telling people where you are.

Just put it inside a container using that technology. That way, you will (1) be sure the signal is really intercepted and (2) not degrade the item stored that way.
Fortune
QUOTE (Moonlight Song)
Just put it inside a container using that technology. That way, you will (1) be sure the signal is really intercepted and (2) not degrade the item stored that way.

Ooooo! A new one. 'Mancer-in-a-Drum. I like it! grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012