Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GOogle earth and SR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Straight Razor
Anyone played with google earth for getting maps for runs. i'v been useing it alot when i run a game, and my players love it. it gives an extra deapth. We had a runnung car, semi-truck, gun battle ona seattle highway, thet spilled into a industrial park.
Aku
there was a post over in community, that someone was putting some sorta tags using the google earth to makr locations around seattle.
Nyxll
I have not used it for playing yet, that is a good idea. I have only used it to mark where the known pedophiles are in my neighbourhood.
Dog
Is anyone ambitious enough to photoshop some images from GE to bring them up to the 2060's? I vote not me.
Shrapnel
QUOTE (Nyxll)
I have not used it for playing yet, that is a good idea. I have only used it to mark where the known pedophiles are in my neighbourhood.

Nyxll, you're going about this the wrong way...

What you need to do is mark their house with a HE mortar round... dead.gif

Of course, my method may be a little extreme for some... wink.gif
ShadowDragon8685
My vote is on the HE mortar rounds. Follwed up quickly by an incindiary.
Nyxll
QUOTE (Shrapnel)
QUOTE (Nyxll @ Sep 29 2005, 05:01 PM)
I have not used it for playing yet, that is a good idea.  I have only used it to mark where the known pedophiles are in my neighbourhood.

Nyxll, you're going about this the wrong way...

What you need to do is mark their house with a HE mortar round... dead.gif

Of course, my method may be a little extreme for some... wink.gif

If I did that ... then I hit the neighbour's houses and cause collateral damage, which would make me unpopular with the neighbourhood. What if I marked the guy with a 7.62 diameter piece of lead, sound like a good compromise??
The Question
Mark him with a hickory stick, as my old pal SPD was want to do biggrin.gif
Fortune
Can we restrict the pedo-bashing (however justified) to just one thread please.
Kagetenshi
Not justified. They've done their time. If that isn't enough, petition to have their sentences extended (or to just slap the old-fashioned death penalty on it)—don't pretend to let people back into the world and then never give them another shot at it.

~J
Emmeric
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Not justified. They've done their time. If that isn't enough, petition to have their sentences extended (or to just slap the old-fashioned death penalty on it)—don't pretend to let people back into the world and then never give them another shot at it.

I agree.

As for google earth, I'm planning on running my group through Bug City with it. So far the program has been awesome for planning out this campaign. I can mark down all the gang territories, hives, and other baddies/places of interest. Because of it, I think I'll be able to make my games a lot more free form, but still really dynamic. I mean, I could simply place the players in location X, have the shit hit the fan, and then track their progress, block by block, forever if I wanted. Even if I don't do that, the program will be awesome for "on the fly" GMing. My group is notorious for "that way? NEVER! We go *seemingly random direction*!!" The players are really creative and if they decide to randomly look for a bank, hotel, store, or whatever that is seemingly crucial to their plans, I can now have google earth find that for me instantly (depending on lag nyahnyah.gif). Also if the group randomly decides to take over some build in Bug City, google earth can tell me the height, width and length of said building, which makes instant mapping easy for me. All in all, i'm really excited to see how this will workout in the long run for my games. Now i'll go check out that google earth thread in the community area...
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Not justified.

Yeah, I really should have written (and meant to write) 'however justified you deem it to be', but rushed the thought a little.
Shrapnel
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

You do realize that this would also require allowing felons to vote and own firearms again, right?

I am all for restoring people's rights once they serve their time, but we can't pick and choose the rights. It should be all or nothing.

For that matter, with the revolving door policy most justice systems offer, is this really a good idea? Do you honestly think that most criminals ARE in fact rehabilitated by a prison sentence? The evidence seems to support the fact that it just makes them better criminals...

The question is, where do you draw the line?
DocMortand
Do you guys really want to kill this thread? Let's talk about Google Earth, not politics.

Frankly I like this prog better than World Wind - it gets better resolution for most areas (I actually can see my house, whereas it was fuzzy in WW) I'll probably start using it more often.

Actually this may help me with my current predicament - a running gun battle is likely to ensue fairly shortly, and having a local area map printed out would help with escape routes.
Straight Razor
I just had a good idea. I have an S-video out on my Video card. I'm going to jack my TV into my comp and display the map for my runners. Give them some dry-erace markers, and let them go to town.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012