Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A girlfriend?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lord Ben
If a contact is your girlfriend what kind of loyalty rating would that be? Girlfriends usually don't die for you but they're more than "buddy" too.
Azralon
they're more than "buddy"

If you're lucky. wink.gif
Fox1
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Sep 29 2005, 03:39 PM)
If a contact is your girlfriend what kind of loyalty rating would that be?  Girlfriends usually don't die for you but they're more than "buddy" too.

Sometimes they're flat out foes...

Just cunning ones.

Really, each case needs to be judged on its own merits.

Azralon
Fox1 is wise.
Jrayjoker
Y'all beat me to it. Does the rating go into negatives?
Egon
Just because you are getting some does not mean she is more then a buddy
Lord Ben
I should clarify, I mean one who is the traditional loyal GF who maybe even lives with you. She puts up with lots of crap, but isn't around to take a bullet from you.
Azralon
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
I should clarify, I mean one who is the traditional loyal GF who maybe even lives with you. She puts up with lots of crap, but isn't around to take a bullet from you.

Well there you go, that's a 5.
Fox1
QUOTE (Lord Ben)

Really, just judge it upon its individual merits. Girls aren't all alike, you can't shoehorn them into a single group like that.

Myself, I'd put your typical girlfriend in the sixth world (which isn't known for loyality or tradition relationships in my view) at the base contact level and call it good.

But you have to decide on these things for your own game.
blakkie
Once again a wide open range of 'loyalty' there. From waiting for you to break down and make her "an honest woman", to more than a buddy, to just there to leech rent and bang your friends. dead.gif
Lord Ben
I wanted to leech rent off of her... smile.gif
Nikoli
Oh, then the discussion is moot. You need connection not loyalty.
Zen Shooter01
What loyalty rating does your brother have?

Your army buddy?

Somebody you met in 6th grade?

Depends on the individual. I don't think that a sexual relationship in and of itself should be thought of as automatically raising or lowering the loyalty rating.

I want to mention that contacts cost too little. For 12 bp, which is the cost of an active skill at 4, you can have the Oyabun be willing to bleed and die for you.
Elldren
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
I want to mention that contacts cost too little. For 12 bp, which is the cost of an active skill at 4, you can have the Oyabun be willing to bleed and die for you.

Or 60000 nuyen.gif worth of gear, or a point of body. They're all on completely different scales, but you still have to have a balance of all factors to make a good character.
MaxHunter
... The nice, (rare) reliable GF who (says) she loves you, maybe cooks for you and remembers your birthday? I would say 4-5...
(If it's a 5 she would probably want to get married.)

Love of your life would be a 6

On the other hand, some of the chicks I've dated would even count as negative qualities... sarcastic.gif

Cheers,

Max

HappyDaze
She puts up with lots of crap, but isn't around to take a bullet from you.

I really hope you meant that she isn't around to take a bullet for you. Otherwise no amount of loyalty is enough.

Jay
Siege
grinbig.gif

And we wonder why we have such a bad reputation. rotfl.gif

-Siege
snowRaven
QUOTE (HappyDaze)

I really hope you meant that she isn't around to take a bullet for you. Otherwise no amount of loyalty is enough.

Jay

These are shadowrunners we are speaking of - either scenario is equally likely grinbig.gif

(In one of the campaigns I GMd, the PC and his girlfriend duked it out with spurs and a monowhip...they both survived though, but after he incapacitated her he broke off the finger she had her monowhip in...)
Ancient History
Didn't we have this same question with the crotch-mounted cyberhorns?
blakkie
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)

However your Skill will always be there instead of only getting back to you one out of every six times you try to get hold of them (Availability page 279), and your Skill is very unlikely to ask for a Favor for a Friend (page 281).

In general, as a contact becomes more valuable and helpful,
he is more likely to ask the player character to do him a
favor in return for previous help. Naturally, the more useful
the contact, the more dangerous and troublesome that favor
should be.

So exactly what kind of favor would a 6/6 Oyabun ask for? I know i never want to find out....unless i'm behind the GM screen. vegm.gif

@Ancient History - Oh be-have. eek.gif rotfl.gif
Azralon
Remember the old street adage:

"You don't have a contact in organized crime. Organized crime has you as a contact."
Siege
I would also like to point out that no system is abuse-proof.

The GM has, or should have, final and binding decisions on what is or isn't allowed - if he (or she) permits you to take Deus as a contact, or perhaps Dunk as a contact and a Mentor spirit, that's his game.

Other GMs may not accept it as fitting their perception of SR canon, but if he and his players enjoy it...well...happy gaming.

-Siege
blakkie
Those 2 examples are off the Connections scale IMO, but YMMV of course.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (blakkie)
However your Skill will always be there instead of only getting back to you one out of every six times you try to get hold of them (Availability page 279)

Just, that rule is only good for situations when there are no other factors. wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 30 2005, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
However your Skill will always be there instead of only getting back to you one out of every six times you try to get hold of them (Availability page 279)

Just, that rule is only good for situations when there are no other factors. wink.gif

That's sort of a fallback. Most of that section talks about the GM doing whatever they want to screw the player advance the story. rotfl.gif
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie)
Those 2 examples are off the Connections scale IMO, but YMMV of course.

I think Siege's hyperbole was to illustrate that the GM can get as wacky as (s)he wants as long as (s)he's willing to deal with the consequences.
blakkie
Yes, and my point was just how wacky those are. smile.gif
Azralon
Point taken and agreed upon.
Siege
Hey! I was rather proud of Dunklezahn as a Mentor Spirit and Contact...grinbig.gif

-Siege
hyzmarca
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Sep 30 2005, 12:36 AM)

Jay

"He only shoots me because he loves me. Besides, I do nag too much. I really did deserve it. If anyone asks, I accidently fell on a bullet."

Significant others should get a self-esteem rating. The lower it is, the more often they'll make up excuses as to why it is okay for you to shoot them.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Azralon)
Remember the old street adage:

"You don't have a contact in organized crime. Organized crime has you as a contact."

This holds true for intelligence agencies as well.
littlesean
Now that is just distrubing.

Funny, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012