Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heal spell Drain Value?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Veggiesama
For the Heal spell on pg 200, I don't understand what the Drain Value is supposed to be. It reads "DV: (Damage Value) - 2". What exactly does "damage value" mean in this context?

If I cast Heal on my buddy who has taken 8 boxes of physical damage, rolling 3 hits on my Spellcasting+Magic roll, do I need to resist 1 drain (3 healed "damage" - 2) or 6 drain (8 total "damage" - 2)? Or am I reading something wrong?

And is Force only useful for limiting the maximum number of hits in this case?
Wizdoc
I understood that it meant "DV per wound". For instance, if your character got shot three times, total of 9 damage - 4 damage from 1st, 3 from 2nd and 2 from 3rd - the mage character could cast a spell in any one of those three wounds, getting 2 or 1 or 1 Drain from the each respectively (DV-2). If he wants to get the character into top condition he'd need to cast Heal three times, once for each wound.

I know it increases record keeping, but I think the intent is that the spell heals one wound at a time, not total "hit points".

Wizdoc
tirsales
Damage Value is (AFAIK) the total damage your buddy got. So you would need to resist 6 points. As it has been like this in SR3 I suppose it still is.
Force is not limiting the spell in any way - so we will houserule this one: Force equals the DamageValue of the target. Here Force is only used to decide wether drain is physical or stun. (Of course force would have an effect regarding counterspelling too). An alternative would be to use force as "max hits" (more friendly towards the mage)

I dont think healing wounds seperatly would make sense - heal has always healed the complete body (if casted appropriate) - not just one wound.
hahnsoo
Heal spells (and other methods of healing) apply to a "set of injuries", not each individual wound that is taken. Thus, you'd base the DV on the total boxes of damage taken. Force always limits the number of hits on a spellcasting test, whether or not that is explicitly stated in the spell description (p171, 2nd column at the bottom, and p174, 1st column). A magician can choose a lower Force to make the drain Stun instead of Physical, but you'll probably want to make the Force as high as possible for Heal.
tirsales
Ah okay, forgot the "limit hits"-rule *flush*
*erase houserule* *beeeeeeeep* *erased*
Veggiesama
So if that's the case, why is it more difficult to heal a character for the same amount of boxes if he is simply at a later stage of pain?

For instance, my buddy has taken 8 boxes of physical damage and I roll 3 hits, and now he's down to 5.
Next time, my buddy has only taken 3 boxes of physical damage (later run), and I roll 3 hits, now his wounds are smooth as a baby's bottom.

Three hits are netted in both examples. Why does the first one require a more painful drain?

edit: I should also mention that the total wound penalty has gone down by the same amount too. 8 boxes (-2 wounds) to 5 boxes (-1 wounds), and 3 boxes (-1 wounds) to 0 boxes (0 wounds).
hyzmarca
The first example requires more drain because you are trying to heal more damage. The fact that you fail is irrevelant.
Veggiesama
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The first example requires more drain because you are trying to heal more damage. The fact that you fail is irrevelant.

*blinks* I haven't healed more damage in either example. Both heal 3 boxes (for further example, let's say both are casted at Force 3). And I don't think I failed either.

I don't understand the reasoning. The condition monitor boxes are a part of the same linear system (unlike SR3's L/M/S/D system, I believe). Three boxes of damage is still three boxes, and it's only going to restore 1 wound penalty point in either scenario.
hahnsoo
The drain is higher because the injuries are more severe. Dropping from 8 boxes to 5 boxes is more akin to repairing broken bones and stopping internal bleeding... the target is still messed up, but the set of injuries are now more tolerable. Dropping from 3 boxes to 0 boxes is like sealing flesh wounds, minor repairs in structure and skin, etc. Shadowrun doesn't use a "Cure Light Wounds" hit point mentality, where enough Heal spells will get you back to tip-top shape... you get one chance to heal a whole set of damage, depending on the skill of the mage. The tipsheet: Heal early, heal often. Get Resist Pain in addition to Heal. Make sure you have a good field medic (for first aid) as well as magical healing.
jervinator
Never forget that it's easier to heal bruised ribs than sucking chest wounds. However, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Learn not to get hit! Agility is like preventive medicine.
Realistically though, you also must protect yourself from (or mitigate) injury when you inevitably DO get hit. Armor is also like preventive medicine.
Fortune
QUOTE (jervinator)
Learn not to get hit! Agility is like preventive medicine.

You mean Reaction! wink.gif
jervinator
I was speaking in general terms, not just SR. Call it what you will, but the fact remains that the best defense is not to get hit.
nick012000
Or to kill everything else before it gets a chance to react. wink.gif
NightRain
QUOTE (nick012000)
Or to kill everything else before it gets a chance to react. ;)

Doesn't that generally involve not getting hit? :)
blakkie
It's a slighty more aggresive tact when you do it through boosting Agility. More killing, less dodging, less fleeing. wink.gif
jervinator
You gotta be quick and have good aim to kill 'em all before they can react.
But you're right; dead men don't counter-attack... though UNdead ones do.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (NightRain)
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Oct 2 2005, 08:59 PM)
Or to kill everything else before it gets a chance to react. wink.gif

Doesn't that generally involve not getting hit? smile.gif

The best defense is a good offense. smile.gif
Lord Ben
You can heal your own physical wounds from drain right?
blakkie
There doesn't seem to be anything in the RAW that precludes using the Heal spell for healing Physical, or Stun, drain.
Azralon
My Dark King mentor spirit bid me to perform unspeakable necromancy upon this thread. He, and the forum search function.

I've been thinking about these "set of injuries" (Heal, p.200) and "set of wounds" (Using First Aid, p.242) terms. They might seem clear to some, but there's some fuzz involved that I wanted to bring to light.

Basically it comes down to another instance of inexact wording (in two places this time) that could be taken one of two ways, and neither of them seem terribly imbalancing to the game.

Standard Disclaimer for Those Who Need It: The following is, of course, the situation as I currently understand it. If you want to take it as gospel or heresy then that's your business. I don't claim that it's either, only that it's the best I have so far.

~~~~~

One interpretation is that if you are currently at X total boxes of Physical (no matter how you got them) and get magically or medically healed for Y boxes, then you're now at (X-Y) boxes of damage and have to heal the rest the old-fashioned way. We'll call that the Lump Sum interpretation.

The other is that if you take A boxes of Physical, then take B boxes, then take C boxes... you're currently at (A+B+C) damage but each of those individual wounds can be healed with separate rolls of D healing, E healing, and F healing. So at the end of it you could be at (A-D)+(B-E)+(C-F) damage with each of those parenthetical terms bottoming out at zero. We'll call that the Piecemeal interpretation.

~~~~~

Lump Sum looks at your physical condition as a whole, and determines that if you've got a broken arm, some cracked ribs, a split lip, and a concussion then holistically it's going to be harder to patch you up. It doesn't matter if the bones have been set and stitches put in, because the rules aren't going to get more exact than that.

Lump Sum also assumes that after you've had your doctoring, whatever damage is left over is now considered "Untreatable." It's recovered only through rest, even if it's medically attended rest.

This interpretation starts to get complex if you get a tooth knocked out during that rest period; then you have to track that new injury separately from your old Untreatable ones. You can get that busted jaw magically or medically healed, and any remaining damage gets lumped into the Untreatable column.

This interpretation gets extraordinarily lethal in that if your buddy gets dropped from pristine into 8 overflow (in either a series of hits or just one), then the possibility of your Magic:3 and Heal spell waking him up is nil. First Aid, even with a high-rating autodoc medkit, isn't going to do much either.

What this version means to your healer is that he's going to want to treat you immediately after each injury if he can, and at one point the overall trauma will just be too much to deal with in via the Heal spell while medics won't have that problem.

~~~~~

Piecemeal makes for more damage-tracking paperwork, but it significantly reduces downtime and lethality. If you're peppered with a series of four 2 DV hits, then you could get your lacerations individually sealed up and get back into the action quickly. You can still accumulate Untreatable damage from the leftovers that weren't able to be fixed, but it's likely not going to be much except for any big whammies you sustained.

It also means that even low-Magic healers have (more of) a chance to spellcast you back together without nearly killing themselves in the process. Since most healing efforts (First Aid or the Heal spell) will get you somewhere around 3 boxes back total and 5 if you're really lucky and/or good, it turns team healers into people with a continued function over the course of the adventure rather than just a coupon to get you out of a day or so of rest.

This interpretation starts to get complex when you look at the wound-tracking that will need to be done. If your wound chart consists of 3+5+2 boxes and your healer fixes you up for 2+3+1 boxes of damage, that's a bothersome amount of erasing you'll have to do in order to get to your end result of 4 Untreatables.

This interpretation starts to break down when, if you haven't received healing at all, you have to decide which specific injuries are going away during your rest periods. Stun damage in particular (while it CAN be healed with medicine, and not just slap patches) is annoying to track in this fashion.

What this version means to your healer is that he doesn't need to immediately fuss over you after each and every injury, no matter how minor. He can take care of them individually later when you have a few minutes. You also have a greater chance of getting brought back to consciousness if you fall over from multiple injuries. Medics and mages are on equal footing in this version.
Fortune
A useful rule-of-thumb for calculating a 'set of injuries' is to total all of the (still applicable) wounds received since the last application of healing magic. This is one 'set of injuries'. After magical healing is applied, any new injuries that are incured become part of a new 'set'.
Veggiesama
For smaller injuries, like three boxes of less, I imagine you could heal that after a fight with no risk of drain to the caster.

For more injuries, you use First Aid (which has a threshold irrespective of the actualy damage, right?) and THEN use a healing spell.

I dunno, but I have a feeling that if you kept track of each "set of wounds" seperately, you would just end up with a bunch of smaller wounds that can be healed multiple times at low drain values. That sounds like you could bring a party from near-death to tip-top shape nearly all the time, assuming they aren't taking big gushing 8+ damage box wounds. At that point you usually have bigger problems to worry about.
Azralon
QUOTE (Veggiesama)
For more injuries, you use First Aid (which has a threshold irrespective of the actualy damage, right?) and THEN use a healing spell.

IIRC, each set of injuries can be healed only once -- either via medicine or magic.

To sum up my lengthy post a little more succinctly: There seems to be some contention over what constitutes a "set" of injuries/wounds. Is a set equal to one application of a DV? Is a set equal to the whole of your current injuries?

I do follow what you're saying, Fortune. I'm just mentioning that the language used in the RAW could be interpreted otherwise and I anticipate having this discussion with my players sometime soon.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon @ Oct 13 2005, 10:27 AM)
IIRC, each set of injuries can be healed only once -- either via medicine or magic.

I believe if you follow the order of First Aid, then magical it does work. But only one of each for the 'set of wounds', and not in the reverse order (First Aid is specific about that).

EDIT: I'm not sure about the use of Stabilize before First Aid, as the First Aid text talks about "magical healing". It's kinda a gray area, though i'd probably class Stabilize as "magical healing" since it is a health spell and even though it doesn't remove boxes of damage it does improve the medical state by stopping bleeding, etc.
Fortune
QUOTE (blakkie)
I believe if you follow the order of First Aid, then magical it does work. But only one of each for the 'set of wounds', and not in the reverse order (First Aid is specific about that).

Yep, it' pretty much always been that way in Shadowrun, and hasn't changed with the new edition.

QUOTE (Azralon)
I do follow what you're saying, Fortune. I'm just mentioning that the language used in the RAW could be interpreted otherwise and I anticipate having this discussion with my players sometime soon.

The way I explained 'sets of injuries' is how the game has always dealt with it. It is one of the fairer interpretations, and doesn't result in too much bookkeeping, in my opinion.
Fortune
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 14 2005, 02:34 AM)
I'm not sure about the use of Stabilize before First Aid, as the First Aid text talks about "magical healing". It's kinda a gray area, though i'd probably class Stabilize as "magical healing" since it is a health spell and even though it doesn't remove boxes of damage it does improve the medical state by stopping bleeding, etc.

I rule that Stabilize doesn't actually constitute 'healing', so could be used before either First Aid or the Heal spell (but not both!)

I allow each spell to be considered seperately, so a person could get Cure Disease/Antidote/etc as well as the Heal spell to be cast on a character, for the same injury, but only one would heal actual boxes, and the other(s) would accomplish other assorted medical deeds.

Otherwise there would be no need for long-term magical care while hospitalized.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012