Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alcohol
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wonazer
Is there a canon answer for alcohol/synthahol drinking? If not, how do you handle it?

How do you determine the power/'damage' of the drink?
FrostyNSO
I just give a 3 or 4L stun code.

Usually starts at 3 and increases for successive drinks.
Dog
"Being drunk's not the problem.
Being sober's the problem."
Kyoto Kid
So would the skill "Cheap Sythahol Guzzling" (Sprawl Ganger Archetype) give you any advantage?
hyzmarca
Complimentary skill. Add 1/2 successes to the resistance test. And, if applicable, add 1/2 sucesses to any athletics or quickness test used to determine the volume that the character can drink in a combat turn.

Can be used for centering.
Wonazer
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
I just give a 3 or 4L stun code.

Usually starts at 3 and increases for successive drinks.

How much time between drinks would you give for the effects to not be cumulative?

For instance, if the PC takes a drink each round, the effects would go from 3L to 4L, right? What if the PC waits a few minutes or an hour to have another drink?

Also, how would you handle differing strengths in alcohol, i.e. a 12 oz. can of beer compared to 1 oz. of really hard liquor?
FrostyNSO
Heh, we have a "menu" of different alcohols somewhere that lists the "damage codes" of various drinks.

We take successive to mean pretty much "normal" drinking. Not one right after another, but not really taking any breaks either. If a character has a drink and then waits an hour or so, we don't ramp up the power.
Dog
You could roughly assume that one shot equals one bottle of beer equals one cocktail (single) equals one glass of wine. And yes, in an average person, you process that much in about an hour.

Body mass is a major factor in how hard the alcohol hits you. You may want to adjust for size (which isn't always reflected in the body stat.) If you want to get more technical, you could adjust for the person's food intake. (Eating, especially high carbs, slows the entire process down, so you get less drunk for a longer time, essentially.)

FrostyNSO: Was that another TF2V reference I just read?
Wonazer
So, certain bioware could change the forumla. Hadn't thought of that.
Trax
The Nephretic screen would certainly keep you sober for a long time, or at least make you sober quicker. Or maybe even prevent you from getting drunk.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Complimentary skill. Add 1/2 successes to the resistance test. And, if applicable, add 1/2 sucesses to any athletics or quickness test used to determine the volume that the character can drink in a combat turn.

[Can be used for centering.]

emphasis on the [ ]

hmmmm.. I have a troll mage buddy who might be interested in this.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Dog)

What's TF2V?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Dog @ Oct 4 2005, 04:59 PM)

What's TF2V?

Tales from the Floating Vagabond, I presume.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 9 2005, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Oct 9 2005, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (Dog @ Oct 4 2005, 04:59 PM)

What's TF2V?

Tales from the Floating Vagabond, I presume.

I have no idea what that is.

Anyways, does anybody have any in-game methods (houserules) of reducing intoxication...short of the detox spell? Like what would eating a loaf of bread do if you were at moderate stun from beer?
Aku
i would keep it with RL, once the damage is there, it's there, atleast immediately, the best you can hope to do is eat while you drink to help slow the absorbtion, but once you're there, you're there, i'd think.
hobgoblin
try the filtration systems available in SR3 BBB. one of them even lists alcohol as what its able to stop.

as for stuff to do after the fact i dont know. toxin binders nanos maybe? basicly a kind of nantidote (sota63) that have as a job to bind with and nutralize alcohol in the blood.

it may not reduce the effect of damage allready done, but it may prevent more damage from happening.

for many things, prevention is the best cure...
Oracle
One of the most important rules of drinking is, that you stop drinking when everything starts spinning. I think I should have remembered this today. spin.gif
hobgoblin
err, depending on what your drinking it may be to late allready. rember that it takes some time from the drink is consumed until the effect hits. sometimes as much as 30 mins i think.

so if your drinking the powerfull stuff fast and heavy, by the time stuff are spinning you may be looking as alcohol poisoning...

still, that would most likely require you to be drinking stuff in the 60-70%+ range i guess, out of full wiskey glasses or something like that.
Snow_Fox
I can make anybody pretty
I can make you believe any lie
I can make you pick a fight, with somebody twice your size.

I've been known to cause a few break ups.
I've been known to cause a few births
I can make you new friends or i can make you say bad words

And since the day I left Milwaukee, Lynchburg, and Bordeaux France
I've been making the bars, lots of big money, and helping white people dance.

I got you in trouble in high school
But college, now that was a a ball
You had some of the best times you'll never remember
with me, alcohol-
Brad Paisley
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012