Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dumb question about Mystic Adepts....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Squinky
I have been wrapping my head around the new magic rules, and was wondering: Can a Mystic Adept that put 2 points into adept powers and has say 4 points in normal magic ability use a Power Foci at rating 2 to completely remove any ill effects of the magic loss from the adept powers? If so, then wow.
blakkie
Well the ill effect is still there. The Power(2) focus does not give them a total of 6 + 2=8 Magic die to roll, instead they only have 4+2=6 Magic die. wink.gif But yes, overall i think Magician's Way Adepts did get a bit of a lift from SR3. Being able to use their full Magic for determining drain and maximum casting Force is just by itself nice. As is being a touch cheaper cost than a magician, and also the Astral Perception power is only 1 pp now.
calypso
Do Power Foci allow you to cast spells with a higher force?
blakkie
I don't believe so, it says:

A power focus adds its Force to all tests in which the magician’s
Magic is included. A single power focus can increase a magician’s
ability to cast spells, call on and control spirits, and bypass
astral barriers.

I read that as adding Force dice to any test where Magic is added into the dice pool. But i guess it could also be read as increasing Magic for calculating maximum Force castable? *shrug*

Not that it really matters for the topic at hand because the Mystic Adept can already cast spells at the same Force as the Magician. He can also avoid drain as well, assuming equal Willpower and Tradition attributes.
Feshy
Magician's Way Adepts did get a bit of a lift from SR3

A HUGE lift -- at least, I remember SR3 magician's way adepts not being able to summon spirits? Certainly sorcery adepts couldn't. In SR4 they can summon spirits normally. This is a HUGE power boost, IMHO.

(Incidentally, adepts with summoning abilities are fun. One edition of the SR companion had rules to take, as an Edge, the ability to summon a type of spirit. I had a physad with this ability, for watchers. As watchers where so cheap, I was essentially always surrounded by watchers that I managed to keep out of sight of the mage. Thus, I was ALWAYS informed of sneak attacks, and what the other runners where up to. I knew EVERYTHING going on. I also had the cyberwear "eye lights" with thermographic bulbs (for the adept thermographic vision) -- thus, after knowing about the ambush, I was tracking the ambushers through the sewer with eyes that, to the rigger's drone's thermographic vision, where glowing red-hot. The team was starting to seriously believe I was a demon or something...)
blakkie
QUOTE (Feshy @ Oct 2 2005, 05:34 PM)
...I was tracking the ambushers through the sewer with eyes that, to the rigger's drone's thermographic vision, where glowing red-hot.  The team was starting to seriously believe I was a demon or something...)

rotfl.gif Nice touch.

Sorcery adepts couldn't conjure, conjuring adepts couldn't cast, but Magician's Way Adepts could do both. They just tended to really suck at it unless they only put one or two PP into Adept Powers, or Initiated a few times as part of character creation. Even better if they did both. If they geasaed the Magical Power they could get Magic 4 for the price of 3 PP, or Magic 6 for the price of 4.5 PP (i forget if that was rounded off to 5PP by canon). With Magic 6 you got 36 spell points (more than even the base 30 aspected magicians got), which allowed you to Initiate 3 times, depending on GM generousity of Initiation cost reduction options, and still have enough for a couple of minor spells or maybe even a focus before you laid out the extra cash of 25,000 nuyen.gif x 14 to bring it up to the maximum 50 spell points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012