Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting programs in game.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lord Ben
I have hacking 1, another member of hte party is a full blown hacker. Can I just get copies of all his programs loaded onto my commlink?
blakkie
QUOTE (page 228)
If a character wishes to duplicate a program
that is copy-protected, he needs to break the
protection. Th is requires an Extended
Soft ware + Logic Test with a threshold between
10 and 20 (gamemaster’s discretion) and
an interval of 1 hour.
Vector
Yes, if he is willing to give them to you and he has them cracked.
Prosper
I'm willing to bet that corps are REALLY interested in finding people who have cracked versions of their product, particularly if they're walking down the street wearing one.

I could see it now. Chummer has a cracked Navi OS as he walks past an advert booth for the same product. Booth scans chummer, confirms the product is cracked, and bombards him with advertisements to the point where he's too disoriented to notice the Lone Star guys being flagged down.
Rotbart van Dainig
Actually, it's the other way round - everything that is not at least cracked is quite a possible liability for a runner.
hobgoblin
a smart cracker will at the same time rip the id tags of the os out of it so that when said advert query the comlink it will get some weird data in return, or maybe no reply at all.
mintcar
As said in some old SR3 decker threads, good hacking programs will be a bit tough to copy from people without paying up nicely. Spreading your hot new cracks too widely will speed up the time it takes for security programers to vaccinate corporate systems against it.
Vector
I wonder if non-cracked OSes and programs will get some sort of a benifit from SOTA tests in the future... maybe just a reduced cost, maybe the first point for free.
Azralon
QUOTE (Vector @ Oct 4 2005, 08:29 AM)
I wonder if non-cracked OSes and programs will get some sort of a benifit from SOTA tests in the future... maybe just a reduced cost, maybe the first point for free.

You're thinking that registered (non-cracked) applications would get free updates and service packs?

From his high-orbital habitat, the brain of Bill Gates would smile in its jar.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Vector @ Oct 3 2005, 01:58 PM)

Note that Firewall is a program as are Autosofts and Activesofts, so all could be distributed after cracking. Our team is looking seriously at Skillswires-5 (10k nuyen) and then cracking and distributing Activesofts. A rating 4 Activesoft is 12k which makes it a good deal when the cost is split 4 ways. With Rating 5 skillwires you can have 10 activesofts loaded at once which can round out a group quiiiite nicely! smile.gif
Azralon
QUOTE (Wasabi)
QUOTE (Vector @ Oct 3 2005, 01:58 PM)

Note that Firewall is a program as are Autosofts and Activesofts, so all could be distributed after cracking. Our team is looking seriously at Skillswires-5 (10k nuyen) and then cracking and distributing Activesofts. A rating 4 Activesoft is 12k which makes it a good deal when the cost is split 4 ways. With Rating 5 skillwires you can have 10 activesofts loaded at once which can round out a group quiiiite nicely! smile.gif

I like it.
Nikoli
don't forget it's a 10 to 20 threshhold with an interval of 1 month. it's going to be a while before you benefit.
blakkie
QUOTE (Nikoli)
don't forget it's a 10 to 20 threshhold with an interval of 1 month. it's going to be a while before you benefit.

Umm, it says 1 hour in my PDF (page 228). So someone with a decent Logic+Software should be able to crack them at a rate of approximately one/day.

Or is there something somewhere that says cracking Activesofts takes 250 times longer?
calypso
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Oct 3 2005, 01:58 PM)
With Rating 5 skillwires you can have 10 activesofts loaded at once which can round out a group quiiiite nicely! smile.gif

Activesofts with a total rating of 10. Not 10 Activesofts. So you could only have two Rating 4 Activesofts loaded.

Calypso
Vector
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (Vector @ Oct 4 2005, 08:29 AM)

You're thinking that registered (non-cracked) applications would get free updates and service packs?

From his high-orbital habitat, the brain of Bill Gates would smile in its jar.

Yeah, basically. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012