Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Katanas r better 4 fiteing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Katana423
i think katanas r better 4 fiteing bcuz u can block gun bulletz with them and they r good 4 killing ppl my mom said that my dad was a sword fiter and he used a katana and the new game ninja gaden black was made after him and he can block bulletz in that game so it is the best sword i think
i think that the other sword sux bcuz u cant block bulletz and kill ppl as good bcuz katans r the best bcuz they use them as samurais and ninjas and in kill bill so they r the best i forgot to say that i saw them shoot one with a bullet and it cut it in half that is all
Critias
Heehee.
caramel frappucino
I rest my case.
Katana423
their is no way that a pirat is better than a ninja bcuz pirats use gunz and ninjas can block the bulletz
Ophis
yah!!

Cutlesses be way better than Katana

Yah!!!
Katana423
my dad drives a cutless and it sux it always breaks down but that is where i was made in the back of my dads cutless so i guess it is ok
Siege
extinguish.gif

-Siege
Aku
dear lord, this has to be the fastest a thread has ever degnerated on dumpshock... it didnt even get past the OP...
Ophis
oh come on we haven't gone wildly of topic yet.

I think apples are the best fruit, much better than bananas.
Critias
QUOTE (Aku)
dear lord, this has to be the fastest a thread has ever degnerated on dumpshock... it didnt even get past the OP...

Right, because it's so obviously serious, too.
Arethusa
Katana423 is going to hell (for being so fucking unfunny).
Bigity
Forget katanas, the real deal is those Korean 7-body swords.
Krazy
I'd like to see someone use a katana to open a bottle. we all know that the cutlass was designed for manly things like eating steak and opening beer. who needs presision.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Katana423)
my dad drives a cutless and it sux it always breaks down but that is where i was made in the back of my dads cutless so i guess it is ok

I had a 442 back in college, ran great, excellent highway cruiser....but I digress.

Most of my melee characters still stick with the Katana (Dikote of course) as the edged weapon of choice. (ST +4) S is pretty good especially when you have a couple of levels of Muscle Augmentation.
Krazy
is there a rule set for the "highlander ability" for physads? improved hiding?
"is that a katana in your pants??"
frostPDP
Katanas can be used for deflecting bullets, huh? I tell you what - I'll give you my Katana, you give me your gun, and we'll have it out Colonial style - A ten-step duel.

....Yeah, block that.
Oracle
I think he refers to an experiment that is shown in a video spread on the web. There some japanese guys fire some rounds from a heavy machinegun at the edge of a traditionaly forged japanese sword. Before finally breaking the sword cuts three or four bullets in half.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Krazy @ Oct 4 2005, 04:21 PM)
is there a rule set for the "highlander ability" for physads? improved hiding?
"is that a katana in your pants??"

SR4 now has skill-based concealment rules, although a Katana is still fairly difficult.
I think he refers to an experiment that is shown in a video spread on the web. There some japanese guys fire some rounds from a heavy machinegun at the edge of a traditionaly forged japanese sword. Before finally breaking the sword cuts three or four bullets in half.
Yeah... except that the gun was aimed directly at the katana, and directly at the cutting edge (rather than the side of the blade). Personally, I'd like to see the same test done with a tennis ball shooter. smile.gif
Slump
http://www.predators-rage.com/

scroll down, right-click/save as on "Sword vs Gun"

I'm afraid I can't find I can't find the link where the sword was completely shredded by a machine gun, but, assuming superhuman strength, reflexes, eyesight, and nerve (you know, you're average shadowrunner), you could do pistols.
Krazy
there is a video on the SOG knives site where a jacketed bullet is fired at the edge of one of their knives and is cut in half. kinda cool. and the beverly hill ninja wasn't using katanas to deflect bullets, I think the swords were chinese or something.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Slump)
http://www.predators-rage.com/

scroll down, right-click/save as on "Sword vs Gun"

I'm afraid I can't find I can't find the link where the sword was completely shredded by a machine gun, but, assuming superhuman strength, reflexes, eyesight, and nerve (you know, you're average shadowrunner), you could do pistols.

The result would be two holes in you instead of one. The bullets are cut in half but their momentum is conserved.
Krazy
that and the fact that a katanas strength is along the edge, if you shot the side of the blade I'm quite sure it would shatter, then you still have to deal with bullets 2-10 as well as the shrapnell
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Krazy)
that and the fact that a katanas strength is along the edge, if you shot the side of the blade I'm quite sure it would shatter, then you still have to deal with bullets 2-10 as well as the shrapnell

The edge is more likely to shatter as harder steels are more brittle, as well. The spine of the blade is soft and may break, but it certainly won't shatter. One of the big advantages of the Katana's design is that it will bend if one puts too much torque on it while cutting bit it usually won't break. Thus, it can still b used in combat and it can potentially be repaired. Still, I wouldn't counnt on it withstanding a bullet impact. Breaking is the most probable outcome.
Dog
Umm, do you think maybe this katana423 guy is mocking us?
Krazy
I'm meaning that a bullet will do less damage to the 1 inch depth of the blade than the 1/8 inch thickness. the edge will likely crack yes, but the way they are tempered the spine should hold the blade togther if only the edge is damaged. and while a katana may bend if the stress is perpendicular to the blade, it may not handle twisting so much, which could happen when the bullet hits it. and I suppose fragment would have been a better word than shatter.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Oracle)
Before finally breaking the sword cuts three or four bullets in half.

If you watch the slow-motion replay carefully, you'll notice that at least one of those bullets actually hit towards the side of the blade, leading to fragments of the blade and the bullet jacket going to the one side and nearly all of the bullet on the other. Shredding the bullet into fragments with half or less of the original mess only happens thrice, with only one bullet actually being "cut" into two large parts both about half the original mass.

Machine Gun vs. Katana, Round 1
Machine Gun vs. Katana, Round 2

QUOTE (Dog)
Umm, do you think maybe this katana423 guy is mocking us?

Maybe he is trying, in which case he's failing. The few, rare katanophiliacs that ever post on Dumpshock have all been beaten over the head with the logic stick already. I don't think it's likely that anyone who believes any of the crazy katana-hype is going to read this thread.

Still, I guess there never are too many threads about why katanophilia is stupid.
Arethusa
Why is anyone taking this thread seriously?
hyzmarca
We're not. W're just waiting for it to walk under the eucalyptus.
mfb
omg ur soo dumb trheads cant walk they DONT HAVE LEGS STUPPDI
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012