Attribute Boost
Cost: .25 per level
You can call upon your inner strength to perform amazing
feats beyond your normal abilities. Attribute Boost must
be purchased for a specific Physical attribute: Agility, Body,
Reaction, and Strength (separate Attribute Boost powers may
be bought for diff erent attributes). It cannot be purchased for a
Mental or Special attribute.
To gain the boost, make a Magic + (Attribute Boost) Test.
Each hit on this test boosts the attribute by 1. The boost lasts
for a number of Combat Turns equal to the twice the number
of hits generated.
When the boost runs out, you must resist Drain equal
to the Attribute Boost rating using Willpower + Body; each
hit reduces the Drain Value by one. Attribute Boost Drain
is Stun damage.
The attribute bonus from Attribute Boost is not compatible
with any other attribute augmentations, whether from implants
or spells, with the exception of the Improved Physical
Attribute adept power.

Okay. By my read you roll Magic + Boost Rating to determine the number of points added to the attribute in question.

Question 1: Is this limited by the augmented cap? I assume it is, but just checking.
Question 2: Is the number of points added to the attribute in question limited by the rating of the power? Example: If I have Attribute Boost (Body) 1, and I roll 3 successes on the test, do I get 3 points added to Body, or 1?

Thoughts? I sent this one into the developers, but...eh. They never answered.
calypso
1: I would say no, simply because it says: "You can call upon your inner strength to perform amazing feats beyond your normal abilities."

2: I would say no, because it doesn't say it is limited.

Calypso
blakkie
I sent the second question to info(a)shadowrunrpg.com about a week and half ago and haven't received an answer yet. I had received answers to other questions sent there must faster, so either the answer person got bogged down with other work, that email address got swamped with emails (where is my book, wtf is a technomancer, etc.), or my email dropped into the bit bucket somewhere along the way. At the 2 week mark i'm likely going to resend the question.

P.S. On the first question i would indeed cap it at the augmented max.
Wasabi
1. Any exceptions to the augmented cap should be noted or it hasn't been excused. Your GM may disagree, but the book is fairly clear.
2. No

Note that this is easily the most broken power Adepts can get since it lasts several rounds and as a non-extended test you can spend Edge to invoke the rule on to reroll 6's and gain your Edge rating in extra dice. That means for .25 power points and a magic rating of 3 and a Edge rating of 6 you would roll 1+3+6 = 10 dice which would all reroll on 6's for an average of 3.888 hits after 6's are rerolled with a magic rating of 3. For 1/4th of a Power Point and 1 Edge point thats pretty danged good for a multi-combat turn power!!
Azralon
1. I'd say yeah, as this is an adept power and the cap rule specifically cites those. "Beyond your normal abilities" implies, to me, the fact that this is a magical power as opposed to your unaugmented capabilities.

2. I say no, as it doesn't state that. While other game mechanics have a hit cap (such as spells, which this resembles), this thing doesn't mention that it employs that cap.
blakkie
@Wasabi, how good this power is depends on what it takes to activated it. If it's a Complex action that is a pretty serious cost. If it is a Free action then it becomes much, much more powerful. That is also a question i included in the email i mentioned as there is nothing in the BBB about what kind of action it is.
Azralon
Your example also paid for an Edge of 6, representing a significant investment that should be allowed its appropriate return.

That is to say, your particular example is not really showing that Attribute Boost is powerful; you're more showing the power of a high Edge rating.
Squinky
One cool thing about this is if you get it for body, that'll help you resist teh drain. Kinda funny.
calypso
QUOTE (Squinky)
One cool thing about this is if you get it for body, that'll help you resist teh drain. Kinda funny.

No it wouldn't.... the effect wears off before you have to resist the drain.
Squinky
Bah, you respond to me with legalitys and logic!
calypso
QUOTE (Squinky)
Bah, you respond to me with legalitys and logic!

biggrin.gif Sorry, I'll stop doing so.
Gothic Rose
However, I don't remember seeing anything saying you couldn't use it again before it falls off - which means that the second roll would add to your body for the 1st's drain test, I believe.
Fortune
Boost all 4 Attributes (at a Power of 1 each ... 1 Power Point well spent wink.gif), saving Body for last. Odds are that on average you'll still have extra Body dice to resist the Drain when the first 3 wear off. biggrin.gif
evil1i
QUOTE (Azralon)
That is to say, your particular example is not really showing that Attribute Boost is powerful; you're more showing the power of a high Edge rating.

True but then the idea of low level Attribute Boost does have some merit if you take a much higher Magic rating

QUOTE (Fortune)
Boost all 4 Attributes (at a Power of 1 each ... 1 Power Point well spent)

Lets say we splurge and get Magic 5 and all our physical stats are 4 (not unreasonable)

means you can quite concievably have a character at 6 in all 4 physical stats and for not a great expenditure. Just make sure you do as Fortune also recommended in that you boost the body att last so you can use it to resist the drain of the first 3 (not that you really need it as the it will only be 1S drain for each anyway!)

calypso
You know, I'm starting to think I would houserule that the number of successes (ie, the boost you get) can't exceed your rating for that attribute. So if you buy 4 points in it, you can get an increase of up to 4.

Calypso
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012