Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reflex recorders...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Squinky
Something I've been wondering about Reflex recorders... You can buy them for a skill group, which seems cool. I'd love to get an extra die for my old firearms group, but what happens when I break the group by upgrading my longarm skill? I would no longer have the group, so I guess I would lose that extra die?

Or does it still add a die to any skill that would be in the group, and if that is the case, can I get it without having a group and still get the bonus on all the skills?
Ophis
QUOTE (Squinky)
Something I've been wondering about Reflex recorders... You can buy them for a skill group, which seems cool. I'd love to get an extra die for my old firearms group, but what happens when I break the group by upgrading my longarm skill? I would no longer have the group, so I guess I would lose that extra die?

I'd say you still get the bonus dice, describing them as a bonus to the skill group seems like short hand for all skills in said skill group.

Or does it still add a die to any skill that would be in the group, and if that is the case, can I get it without having a group and still get the bonus on all the skills?

I can't see why not, if you don't have the skill you would still be defaulting -1 penelty and all, you its a suboptimal way of spending money.
Squinky
Well I really trying to say if I had pistols 3, longarms 5, automatics 2, would they still all get a bonus. If so, that wouldn't be a bad buy.
blakkie
It would be innane not to give the bonus, IMO. If it wasn't just shorthand for giving a bonus to all the skills in that group but instead it only work when the skills themselves were grouped then other weirdness would ensue such learning a Specialization in any of the skills would make it useless as well.
Wasabi
If a skill group acts any differently other than for the Karma cost to increase it I'd say you might not get it, but the Karma Cost modifier for skill groups shouldn't affect your cyber's bonus. smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
No bonus if no Skill Group - that's the price you pay for getting a cheaper bonus from RRs than if you bought one for every skill in group.
Squinky
Rules wise that would kinda make sense to me, but then again it dosen't really state either way.

I find it weird that a guy can get a bonus on all his abilitys in a skill group if he's got one, then he ups one and suddenly *Poof* gone. I'm with Blakkie and the others on this one, since it seems to come down to opinion at this point.

And, it does cost more essence and nuyen wise, even though not much. So I don't see why that would be a valid arguement.
Rotbart van Dainig
Nope... in fact, getting RR for every single skill would cost more.
Squinky
I wasn't meaning that having a reflex recorder individaully for every skill in a group was cheaper than a single group RRecorder, I meant that for most combat groups, its pretty close in essence. Depending on the group it you would only be saving .1 or .2 essence if you just bought a group recorder, and it costs a good deal more than a normal one, nearly the cost for three really.

To me it seems to be a piece of equipment thats great if you want to have bonuses to all in a skill group, but for those who just want a bonus to one, just go with the normal.
Fortune
A Group Reflex Recorder covers every skill in the Group. Whether they are still (or ever were) a Group at any given time is immaterial. It is a bulk discount (Essence and Money wise). It always works, it doesn't mystically stop working if you break up some arbitray group of skills that are also basically linked as a bulk discount (Karma wise).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012