Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative SR3 die-rolling
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
jervinator
I couldn't find anything via search, so I figured I'd start a topic.

The classic "rule of 6" has a few problems which I have resolved, at least to my satisfaction. As you probably know, there is no real difference between TN = 6 and TN = 7. I started with changing the "rule of 6" to adding only 5 instead of 6 to all re-rolls. That way, if you roll a 6, the second roll will result in a final roll in the range of 6-11 instead of 7-12. This applies to all re-rolls. Another roll of 6 will add 10, so the 3rd roll will be 11-16, etcetera.
This worked for a while, but considering the infrequency of rolling a 6, I further modified it to smooth the curve a little bit. I mean, if you graph it out, the probability curve "stair-steps" something wicked. I fixed this by re-rolling on 5 and 6, and adding 4.
Sure, there may be a little more wrist action, but the odds work much better as far as I'm concerned. The curve is smoother, but in the same general shape. I don't have the exact numbers at the moment, but if I have some free time, I'll crunch 'em and post 'em here for illustration.

Of course, you could just switch to SR4.... when it hits the shelves wink.gif
Eyeless Blond
Actually SR4 is already here. Check the SR4 forum above. smile.gif Opinions are somewhat mixed as to how good it is, though most people are sticking with the new stuff because obviously no more SR3 books are being published, and the number of good changes in places like Hacking and Rigging somewhat mollify the fact that the total overhaul of the system introduced many inherent problems and limitations.

As for your idea, I had the same notion myself actually. In theory that second rule does give you a far better probability curve than the current dierolling system, but naturally it increases the number of rolls and the mathematical complexity of the whole thing. Frankly such a system would be best programmed into a dicebot or something similar; rolling it manually would be a bit too complicated in practice I think.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Actually SR4 is already here.

I wasn't aware that having customers of a single online retailer get UPS shipping confirmation emails on their pre-orders counted as a product "Hitting the Shelves". That phrase usually implies that the book in question is on, well, a shelf, in a bricks-and-mortar style bookstore, somewhere. If there's been confirmation of that described situation in the SR4 fourms, I apologize, because I must have missed that thread.
blakkie
My copy hit my shelf about a month ago. It's sitting there right now. wink.gif
mfb
the smoothest progression i'm aware of that doesn't drive players blind with insanity is to reroll on a 5 or a 6, adding 4.
jervinator
the smoothest progression i'm aware of that doesn't drive players blind with insanity is to reroll on a 5 or a 6, adding 4.

Exactly! Less verbose than me, but yes.

As for the off-topic comments, my SR4 pre-order is not in my hands, so it doesn't count.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (blakkie)
My copy hit my shelf about a month ago. It's sitting there right now. wink.gif

Oh, so you're a store now? biggrin.gif
Critias
Why shouldn't he be? He's been selling his opinion to FanPro for months.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012