Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In-game Elective Surgery
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Azralon
Uhhh.... I can't find anything in the main SR4 book that outlines rules for getting implants outside of character generation.

I'm kinda expecting a chart that shows how much physical damage is done to the patient based off of the implant's Essence cost, but I ain't seeing it. Is it in there?
blakkie
Looks like that was deem to low a priority to be moved into the core book.
Aku
I dont think it was in SR3 either, was it?
blakkie
QUOTE (Aku)
I dont think it was in SR3 either, was it?

Nah. I believe that was in a set of extra rules for surgery, healing options, and such in M&M.
Rotbart van Dainig
Those rules were a dark chapter of SR3, though.
nezumi
The rules were pretty vague in SR3's BBB. Pretty much, you found a shadowclinic and bought it like any other piece of cyber.

Considering I have as of yet to see anyone buy a piece of cyber in game, it makes sense to delegate it to another book.
Rotbart van Dainig
Given the lower prices, this might happen much faster.
Azralon
Awesome. Initiation made it into the core book, but you can't run out and get a datajack without resorting to house rules.

And yeah, it was in the SR3 core.
blakkie
With greatly reduced 'ware costs in SR4 you might actually start to see it a bit more. But ya, in SR3 it was fairly rare to add 'ware after character creation unless you game had a LOT of cash floating around.
Azralon
QUOTE (nezumi)
Considering I have as of yet to see anyone buy a piece of cyber in game, it makes sense to delegate it to another book.

If I recall correctly, the next book that comes out will be Street Magic.

... Not that the core book has managed to "come out" yet. nyahnyah.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
Awesome. Initiation made it into the core book, but you can't run out and get a datajack without resorting to house rules.

Huh? Just buy...at street prices...and installation is free. No need for house rules.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Azralon)
Initiation made it into the core book, but you can't run out and get a datajack without resorting to house rules.

In fact, you can - you roll availability, pay the price and have it, like any other kind of equipment.
Veggiesama
I think the question is how long will the surgery take?

I imagine you'd roll a normal availability test to find the seller (who presumably would install it too), and I'd assume the cost of surgery is included in the price of the implant.

Anyway, I started a low-powered game with the intent to award lots of karma and nuyen, so surgery will eventually be a must.
Azralon
Surely there's some downtime to recover from getting your arm chopped off and your nervous system rewired.

EDIT: I changed my mind on the surgery while in the waiting room.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Azralon)
Surely there's some downtime to recover from getting your arm chopped off and your nervous system rewired.

Suprisingly little, in SR3 anyway -

Had a character get a new brain implant, and was healed, fully, by the end of the day.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
Surely there's some downtime to recover from getting your legs chopped off.

Not if you get pros to do it. wink.gif If you want that to mess around in that sort of detail, ya you'll need to house rule boxes of damage. Or include it as part of the aquiring checks, whatever.

P.S. In SR3 that sort of detail indeed was in M&M.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
Suprisingly little, in SR3 anyway - Had a character get a new brain implant, and was healed, fully, by the end of the day.

In SR4 recovery from even more severe wounds is pretty much faster.
blakkie
For lower powered characters definately. But with the highend, high cost M&M options SR3 could result in even faster recovers. Like from Deadlyish to fully healed in tens of hours. It's pretty damn tough to fully heal in less than 2 days an SR4 Troll that is in overdamage. But to use those SR3 options you basicially had to back up truckloads of cash to a high grade clinic (and have certain Edges/Powers/Body in your character).
Squinky
Nanites do a good deal of the implanting, (at least according to SR2 shadowtech) It's not like they hack you open for everything...
Gothic Rose
Why not count every .1 essence lost (rounded up, so minimum .1) as one "box" of damage that has to be healed by the surgeon using the appropriate skill? (Medicine, I believe. Possibly a Medicine+Cybertechnology roll?)

An extended test with a pass of, savy, 30 minutes - so the small surgeries don't take much time, but the big ones - they take a shatload.

tirsales
And *please* don't even think of adding rules for "planing an operation", operation-costs, etc.
Healing,Operation,Stress was one of the crappiest (if not THE crappiest) chapters in the whole Shadowrun-serie (and I mean ALL editions) . . . (Yeah, we *have* ignored them and made houserules)

@Gothic Rose: Nice. Though:
Doc with Medicine-6, (Whatever-Attribute) 3, Reflexes-3 (5 Essence) ->
Threshold 50, 3 Success per Roll -> 17 Rolls -> Above maximum number of rolls ...
The OP would need 8.5h
Gothic Rose
8 and a half hours to completely replace the persons spinal column and lower brain with bleeding edge technology? That sounds PERFECT to me. Consider the fact that current day surgeries can take even longer, it seems to me that something as delicate as that would take an entire day.
blakkie
QUOTE (Gothic Rose @ Oct 6 2005, 04:57 PM)
8 and a half hours to completely replace the persons spinal column and lower brain with bleeding edge technology?  That sounds PERFECT to me.  Consider the fact that current day surgeries can take even longer, it seems to me that something as delicate as that would take an entire day.

So basically small potatoes compared to the time required find the actual item, which is for Wired III something like Nego+Cha (20, 1 week) before extra modifiers.
hahnsoo
I'd say a Medicine (Transimplant Surgery) + Logic (Essence Cost of Cyberware/0.1, 30 minutes) Extended Test sounds about right, although I don't think boxes of damage are healed during surgery. Despite the surgical mantra "A chance to cut is a chance to cure", surgery causes deliberate wounds for a therapeutic effect. For recovery purposes, I'd apply Physical damage equal to the Essence Cost of the cyberware times 2 (round up), and you wouldn't be able to use First Aid to reduce this damage (which is pretty much a given).

The formula looks a bit awkward when put into the standard format, of course. Another formula you can use could be Medicine (Transimplant Surgery) + Logic (Essence Cost of Cyberware times [insert favorite multiplier here], 1 hour) Extended Test.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
I'd say a Medicine (Transimplant Surgery) + Logic (Essence Cost of Cyberware/0.1, 30 minutes) Extended Test sounds about right, although I don't think boxes of damage are healed during surgery. Despite the surgical mantra "A chance to cut is a chance to cure", surgery causes deliberate wounds for a therapeutic effect. For recovery purposes, I'd apply Physical damage equal to the Essence Cost of the cyberware times 2 (round up), and you wouldn't be able to use First Aid to reduce this damage (which is pretty much a given).

The formula looks a bit awkward when put into the standard format, of course. Another formula you can use could be Medicine (Transimplant Surgery) + Logic (Essence Cost of Cyberware times [insert favorite multiplier here], 1 hour) Extended Test.

I was suggesting the boxes as hits, really. Hence why I said "boxes" of damage. Since you're using the Medicine skill, it seemed to make more sense to me to call them damage boxes, but they'd really just be hits, I suppose. smile.gif

tirsales
Weeeeelllll ... Making them real boxes of damage would surely kill you.
I would say something like [Nr of Hours the OP took] Damageboxes with the doc being able to reduce this somehow .. (2 Successes per Roll give you 12.5h for those reflexes... Thus 13 points of damage - now we don't want to kill a SC though ...) (Yeah, okay. We want. But not with an OP. *Bad Gamemaster* *Sit*)

I am well aware that 8.5h is relatively short - the longest OP I watched was about 10h. The longest OP I undergone about 1h (and that was just removing some splitters from my leg)

But neither are we designing a realistic system, nor are we using the kind of techniques Shadowrun has nowadays (think of nanotech). Hence I think that 8-10h for the wired-reflexes (why not wireless btw? wink.gif ) is okay. And you can implant a new datajack in your lunchtime (dont know the page ... Just with the general description of meatshops I think, dont really know if it has been this edition). Thinking that this is an interface to the BRAIN itself ...
Azralon
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
Why not count every .1 essence lost (rounded up, so minimum .1) as one "box" of damage that has to be healed by the surgeon using the appropriate skill? (Medicine, I believe. Possibly a Medicine+Cybertechnology roll?)

I believe it'd be a Medicine+Logic. Cybertechnology is more of a Build/Repair element, IIRC.

But yeah, I was thinking of some straight "Essence cost to Physical Damage" ratio. One box per .1 Essence seems pretty steep, though, as some of the more major stuff would outright kill a person.

Maybe 1 box of Physical per .5 Essence (or fraction thereof). That way the really minor stuff can be done on an outpatient basis while standard-grade Wired:3 would do a beefy 10 boxes; enough to massively inconvenience your average human.
Aku
QUOTE (blakkie)

So basically small potatoes compared to the time required find the actual item, which is for Wired III something like Nego+Cha (20, 1 week) before extra modifiers.

Consider the amount of time in RL it takes to get a matched organ from a doner, then how long that op takes...

i dont thinkits that bad of a rate.
blakkie
QUOTE (Aku @ Oct 6 2005, 08:34 PM)
Consider the amount of time in RL it takes to get a matched organ from a doner, then how long that op takes...

i dont thinkits that bad of a rate.

My point being: what is really gained by the hassle of rolling a pile of dice a number of times? Of coming up with a system that creates 50 boxes of damage to install Wired III? For what? The chance that the surgeon will Critical Glitch, not bother to use Edge, and kill the PC? But other than that mainly it's all a matter of showing up and getting the surgery done and the customer then walks away whistling.

You consider that a good thing?
Feshy
It seems to me that unless the runner is trying to get something implanted just before a run (Sorry, guys, I know I'm normally the scout, but I'll be blind until about tuesday thanks to these spiff new cybereyes) or unless they are ambushed outside the clinic ("Now, mr. runner, we will torture you for all you know." "hey... you guys are a lot less scary when I'm on metamorphine like this. Torture away! And did you notice you're kind of blurry?") then it isn't normally an issue.

If the runners are in to impromtu elective surgery, or if enemies do discover they are in a weakened state, just deny any bonuses from the cyberware in question, and deny any NORMAL use of affected parts as well (For muscle replacement and wired reflexes, you're pretty helpless). Throw in a couple boxes of damage if the procedure involved body-wide changes, or installing big hunks of metal (cyberarms?). Re-wiring stuff with nanobots probably won't cause much damage, so for most things, you probably don't need damage boxes. In most cases, none of this should be an issue, as it will happen during a group's downtime. If players are too over-eager (I want to implant wired reflexes on monday, and train martial arts on tuesday) then just ad-hoc some times together (sorry, Doc says it's a good three days before you'll be able to feel your toes again, let alone break boards with them). If you come out inconsistent with these rules, well... even if surgery WAS that predictable, the locations runners visit probably aren't. Jim's tatoo and cyberware parlor (free t-shirt with every implant!) may have implanted the datajack, but the healing times there are going to be different form room 1298, a beta clinic in Toronto (so you want some cyber, eh?).

Just figure the surgery costs (and "finding a doctor" times) are included in the normal availability and costs. And, again, in most cases, it shouldn't be an issue. If you are to the point where you need to know exactly how long a surgical procedure takes... well, you're well outside the realm of rulebook rules, and well into "plot device" land.

Though, I agree, some "ballpark" figures would be good to help judge this. A week or two for major wired reflexes is short, but consistent with SR4 healing downtimes. You'll probably spend more time in the waiting room than surgery for the (outpatient) datajack procedure. (heck, your autodoc can probably install mail-order datajacks by 2070.)
tirsales
Of course. But when you really need to know how many hours have passed with that operation (hehe - implanting those reflexes just *before* the crash - will EMP hit during the operation?) you need some reference. I would toss those rolls myself - just divide the dice the doc got through 3 or 4 and calculate the time spend. Then calc the damage - and there you are. You dont need a single minute (yeah, SR3 ... it took several) and you got a rough idea how long it will take. (If you link time spend and damage it is also more important to get a good doc without adding complexity)
Azralon
The point of rules like this is not just to add a little realism (which is always welcome when in convenient doses), but to also make sure runners don't nip out and get rebuilt the afternoon right before a run. Getting a hardcore vatjob done shouldn't be like ordering pizza.

It also places downtime value on the Medicine and Cybertechnology skills for those who like to play the medic.
DigitalMage
SR1 had the simplest surgery rules and they were in the core book! It just had about 4 categories of surgery - cosmetic, minor, major and critical or something. Each had a cost and a level of damage it left you with , L M S and D.

The amount of essence an implant cost indicated what category of surgery it was. One table was all you needed!!!!
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
My point being: what is really gained by the hassle of rolling a pile of dice a number of times? Of coming up with a system that creates 50 boxes of damage to install Wired III? For what?

The short answer: Not much.

However, there may be certain situations where you will need to know this information, and discussing it with other GMs online is a great way to hash out some guidelines, especially with folks who have gone through surgery or regularly scrub into some surgery cases. Also, you will want to set up some good guidelines if you have a cybersurgeon PC who wants to do some that work on his own. All of this being said, I'd say Essence * 2 (round up) boxes of damage is reasonable for most transimplant surgeries, with the test being an Extended test with a Threshold of the same amount and an interval of 30 minutes.

Again, this is all up to the GM. Most GMs probably won't force this roll at all, unless downtime healing is an issue (the PCs are in some sort of pressure situation).
Azralon
Hahnsoo is wise.

Build & repair characters, pending initiates, talismongers, social butterflies, and the like all have (or had) game-defined downtime for their upgrades. Tracking post-op downtime for the cyberfolks can be a big deal in that you're also burning purchased Lifestyle. "Time is money" and all.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Again, this is all up to the GM. Most GMs probably won't force this roll at all, unless downtime healing is an issue (the PCs are in some sort of pressure situation).

From what I'm reading on here, most GMs are just looking for an opprotunity to mess with a character's innards, and most players' knowledge of this is why you see so little surgery done post-chargen. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Oct 7 2005, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 6 2005, 09:54 PM)
My point being: what is really gained by the hassle of rolling a pile of dice a number of times?  Of coming up with a system that creates 50 boxes of damage to install Wired III? For what?

The short answer: Not much.

1) no runner can just drop by a store and purchace serious 'ware
2) most ware is just drop in before you head off for a pop EDIT: under the suggested system
3) you never have damage coming out of surgery (which seems to be the initiating issue)

Why not just say 1 hour surgery/0.5 essense or portion of, and you come out with 6 boxes Stun (anesthesia)? No rolling involved.

If you want to be a big meanie and make surgery a PitA add in 1 box Physical damage coming out of surgery for every full point of essense loss.

It isn't a matter of talking, it's a matter of the suggested system involving a crap load of rolling noise signifying nothing.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
Why not just say 1 hour surgery/0.5 essense or portion of, and you come out with 6 boxes Stun (anesthesia)? No rolling involved.

If you want to be a big meanie and make surgery a PitA add in 1 box Physical damage coming out of surgery for every full point of essense loss.

It isn't a matter of talking, it's a matter of the suggested system involving a crap load of rolling noise signifying nothing.

Well, my mind is thinking of several situations within a run (not necessarily downtime) that the time taken by a surgeon might make a big difference in the outcome of a run. It also gives your Cyberdoc PCs something to do (if you don't let them roll the dice, they may feel disenfranchised from the rest of the team, although being a street doc as a PC arguably is already disenfranchised from the typical Shadowrun team).

Surgery should add at least 1 box of physical damage, even with the magic of nanites (the smokescreen of many sci-fi games), and especially in a street doc/outpatient type of situation.

And it's only one die roll, and only when the GM feels it would be appropriate (i.e. Bad Things ™ are going to happen). I agree that the discussion is academic, but it's a discussion that caters a personal interest for me.
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
although being a street doc as a PC arguably is already disenfranchised from the typical Shadowrun team).

A surgery doctor with an operating theater (and pity the fool PC that gets 'ware of any note installed in something less than at least a primative operating theater)? At least that is a step up from playing a technophobic, homebound, pacifist bonsai tree gardener recluse. But not much of a step. wink.gif

P.S. You want to be a big meanie to make rolls happen? Then 1 box/per point of essense or less....or to really screw with the PC make it 1 box/1 hour of surgery meaning that installing standard Wire III would flat out kill Body(1), put Body(2) a box short of death (and quite likely kill them with a Glitch without top notch medical facilities), and knock Body(3)/(4) out with the Physical damage and keep them out for a week.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 7 2005, 10:12 PM)
A surgery doctor with an operating theater (and pity the fool PC that gets 'ware of any note installed in something less than at least a primative operating theater)?  At least that is a step up from playing a technophobic, homebound, pacifist bonsai tree gardener recluse. But not much of a step. wink.gif

We've had three cyberdoc characters in our various campaigns before. It's not much of a stretch... less so than a ex-corporate company man becoming a shadowrunner. Of course, the rules available in Shadowtech, Man and Machine, and the various sourcebooks over the years were more than enough to keep any cyberdoc busy in their downtime, and the players who played those characters were attracted to those unnecessarily complex rules. *shrugs* Still, it is a struggle at times to keep them in the action, but at least the party doesn't have to get a street doc contact at character creation.
P.S. You want to be a big meanie to make rolls happen? Then 1 box/per point of essense or less....or to really screw with the PC make it 1 box/1 hour of surgery meaning that installing standard Wire III would flat out kill Body(1), put Body(2) a box short of death (and quite likely kill them with a Glitch without top notch medical facilities), and knock Body(3)/(4) out with the Physical damage and keep them out for a week.
*shrugs* It probably should. Between the immunosuppression that is necessary and the extensive nature of the surgery, a week is a hopeful estimate at best (again, even with the "magic" of nanotechnology).

Besides which, the healing rules in SR4 are FAR more forgiving than you make it out to be, especially when you are recovering under optimal conditions and have a Medkit 6 laying around. At 9 to 10 points of damage, we've never had a character in our campaign laid out for more than 5 days. Heck, we have a troll that recovered from 14 boxes of damage in 2 days. In the past iterations of rules, the damage done by surgery and wounds took significantly longer to heal.
blakkie
In a hospital (+0), a Body(2) (+4) with 10 boxes damage (-3) and the suggested 6 boxes Stun (-2) and newly lower essensed (-2) the patient needs a Medkit(4) to even roll. Even then without more aid the patiet definately should have some Edge lest the 1 in 6 Critcal Glitch kick him straight off the mortal coil.

EDIT: Oops, that should be Medkit(4), not Medkit(6). Medkit(6) lowers the Critcal Gitch chance to about 1 in 20....which you'd definately still want Edge around for since it's death if you roll it.

But things definately perk up for higher Body folks.
Rotbart van Dainig
Interesting Side-Note:

Right now, I fail to find anything that allows the upgrade or the replacement of Ware without additional Essence loss...

Wasn't Augmention the last book planned?
Conskill
I'm a simple man with simple rules.

If I needed to determine recovery time, baseline one day in bed for each .1 essence.

Acclimation time for the cyberware and time where misfiring / misuse can happen lasts for baseline "What is dramatically appropriate and amuses me."

Both cases toned down for exceedingly common cyberware, such as datajacks, or jacked way the hell up for experimental, exotic, or second-hand cyberware.
Jaid
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Interesting Side-Note:

Right now, I fail to find anything that allows the upgrade or the replacement of Ware without additional Essence loss...

i think in one of the stickied threads someone mentions you just pull it out, don't gain the essence back, but it does leave a hole that can be filled (no special procedures mentioned or anything like that). dunno that that's necessarily official, but i'm pretty sure i saw it in the SR4 board stickies...
WorkOver
QUOTE (Azralon)

And yeah, it was in the SR3 core.

Nit pick somewheres else, no, it has never been included in any game's core book, except for CyberPunk.

That game had surgery codes, SR 1, 2 nor 3 have had it.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Interesting Side-Note:

Looks like a year+ of using your common sense to make it playable by filling essense "holes" of removed cyber/bio with upgrades and/or additions, unless they come out with an FAQ that addresses it specifically. It isn't really errata per say, but it would help people that are new to SR and not used to the concept.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (blakkie)
but it would help people that are new to SR and not used to the concept.

Bingo - just, they wouldn't have the slightest clue about that without a rule stating so. wink.gif

On the other hand, stating 'it's that way because it always was that way' might doesn't mean a thing in SR4, too.
Azralon
QUOTE (WorkOver @ Oct 8 2005, 07:50 PM)
Nit pick somewheres else

Hey, everyone, just so you know -- we're not allowed to nitpick here.

Now, I'm not sure if that means in the entire Dumpshock forums, or in any forum, or on the internet, or.... WHOOPS I just nitpicked again.
Fortune
I believe WorkOver meant that if you are going to nitpick, make sure you are correct.
Azralon
You could be right. If you're not, now you're violating WO's rules. Or not, because if you're wrong then you might not be wrong about being right while you could still be right about being wrong.

Anyway, strained humor aside I meant to point out that telling people not to quibble in forums is self-defeating and ironically hypocritical, no matter the motivation behind it.

I'm cool with people telling me I'm misremembering or misinterpreting, and even cooler with it when they provide hard evidence illustrating as much. We're all here to try to decode SR4's letter and spirit; there's no reason to be rude about it. Tongue-in-cheek, sure, but not outright snippy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012