Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wireless DNI
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
prionic6
As far as I understand, a commlink can communicate with about any device without cables and stuff. But do you need a datajack to have real hot-sim VR? If not, what piece of cyberware do you need? There is the internal commlink but I think the idea that every time you want to upgrade your commlink you would need serious surgery... no, thanks... What about the "internal simmodule", the description is not very clear, can it connect to an external commlink or do you still need a datajack?

It seems a bit "oldschool" to connect your commlink to your head with a cable... When everything else is wireless or skinlink. What is the wireless equivalent of the datajack?
milspec
I assumed a datajack, like all other cyberware, also had wireless connectivity. So external devices on your PAN (like a commlink w/ sim software) could get DNI wirelessly via the datajack.

milspec
prionic6
So you need the jack but no cable?
Nkari
The way I have understood it you need either a Datajack or Trodes to get the full hot-sim VR..
blakkie
QUOTE (Nkari)
The way I have understood it you need either a Datajack or Trodes to get the full hot-sim VR..

....and of course a sim module that has had the "safety" removed so it isn't limited to cold sim.

But basically, you no longer need a single cut to run full hot sim. Just a funky hair net, or a painted on nanopaste trode set, and your commlink with a hot sim module. Riggers that "jump into" vehicles can benefit though from the Control Rig cyberware that gives a +2 dice on all their vehicle tests (including Gunnery) while in "jumped in" in VR.

Note: It would appear that you can also "jump into" any standard new vehicle in VR, but need the 2500 nuyen.gif Rigger Adaption to use the Control Rig. That might just be very unfortunately wording, but that is the sole stated use of the Rigger Adaption to allow use of the Control Rig. At the very least it would seem that you can Captain's Chair any vehicle (with a Pilot rating of course, which is all of them listed in the BBB).
kigmatzomat
Rigger adaptation is required to remote drive the vehicle or "jump in" full VR. Otherwise you are only driving the vehicle with AR (+1 die bonus, IIRC). Without Rigger adapatation to the vehicle you would need to manually steer the car which is impossible if you don't have the RAS cut-out installed and even then you'd have the -2 penalty for doing stuff while in VR.
blakkie

Oops, nevermind i found it. embarrassed.gif Page 238, so Rigger Adaption is just poorly worded.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012