Full Version: Updating Headware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eyeless Blond
Here's a couple ideas for bits of headware I'd like to see in Augmentation:

CODE
               Essence     Capacity     Availability        Cost
Math SPU       Rating*.3       -           Rating*4      Rating*4,000Y
Encephalon     Rating*.3       -           Rating*5      Rating*9,000Y

Math SPU (Subcranial Processing Unit) - This little gizmo starts out as a graphinc calculator and simple chronometer for the brain. Of course it's much more integrated into your brain than a simple calculator; you barely need to form the expression or equation in your head before it spits out the answer, giving you an almost autistic-like ability to interface with complex math (thanks FrankTrollman for the description). The SPU provides a +2 dice pool bonus on all Computer- and Hacking-related Extended tests.

Higher-rating Math SPUs choose from an array of plugins and augmentations. For each rating point above the first, the SPU has one of the following abilities:

-Integrated atomic chronometer/calendar: This upgrade for the internal chronometer keeps perfect time by measuring the radioactive decay of certain naturally-occuring elements in your body; also has an alarm and stopwatch. Such down-to-the-microsecond timing is especially critical in vehicle tests; add a +2 dice pool bonus to any Hard or Extreme Vehicle tests, or any made in Restricted or Tight terrain (these do not stack; no +4 dice for Hard Tests made in Tight terrain, sorry).

-Integrated spatial coprocessor: The normal model is capable of displaying 3D graphs, but its spacial abilities are somewhat limited. This enhancement will actually take binocular images from your field of view and allow you to visualize three-dimensional objects with much more acuity than a normal human. A person with this enhancement who can see any part of a target receives a +2 dice pool modifier to his Ranged Combat test if the target is under any kind of cover and he takes an Aim action before attempting to hit that target. This is in addition to the normal +1 dice pool modifier for aiming.
Both the aiming modifier and the spacial coprocessor modifier apply even if the target cannot be seen at all at the time the weapon if being fired, but could be seen during the aiming step.

-Others?

Encephalon-A hacker's best friend, this micro-computer adds its Rating to your Matrix Initiative whenever you are using full VR. In addition, this little gadget can run its Rating in programs outside of your Commlink. Such programs do not count as running on your Commlink for purposes of Response slowdown. Also, since the programs are running literally inside your head any test using such a program receives a +1 dice pool modifier.

Behold the power of math! biggrin.gif
FrankTrollman
First off: Math SPUs and Encephalons should not have a capacity at all. If they did, that would imply that you could get the same bonus with an external device, at which point the question becomes "why wouldn't these come standard on Commlinks?" No, the only way MathSPUs make any sense is if they are a nerve staple that makes you partially autistic-like in your ability to interface your thoughts and computer-math.

Secondly, I see no reason whatsoever for it to come in multiple levels. It should just be a reflex recorder in cyberware that comes for Computer, Hacking, Datasearch, and any Academic Knowledge skills that you can convince the GM it applies to. The integrated cronometer should come standard and gratis.

Price: 5,000 nuyen.gif / .3 Essence

The Encephalon should just be a cybernetic cerebral booster, with ratings still available from 1-3.

Price: 2,000 nuyen.gif / .4 Essence per rating.

-Frank
blakkie
Boo to more simple stat raising 'ware. Ya to more interesting 'ware.

That said i think 1/2ing the interval might be a bit much, also it brings up the issue of how long a halved a Combat Turn is. Maybe it could drop the Threshhold of Extended Tests by 20%. Rounded up, so a Threshhold of 6 becomes 5, and a Threshhold of 9, or 10, becomes 8.

Maybe you have to Take Aim to reduce the cover by 1/2, maybe getting the +1 die for Taking Aim as well? That's still pretty good.

I'm also not so sure about running programs separately outside the commlink, would have to think about that a bit more. Though there is an obvious reason why commlinks don't have them.....they do. wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
To be honest, given the processing power of a Commlink, I see neither benefit nor necessity from/for a SPU.
NightmareX
QUOTE (blakkie)

Actually, I like both versions cool.gif Now if we could come up with a good way to integrate time....
blakkie
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Oct 11 2005, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 11 2005, 12:52 PM)

Actually, I like both versions cool.gif Now if we could come up with a good way to integrate time....

Well you could still increase Attributes (but to what end?, there is already a Cerebral Enhancer that will take you to the limit of Logic) as long as you put interesting stuff in there too. Just is you might then overpower it a bit.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
To be honest, given the processing power of a Commlink, I see neither benefit nor necessity from/for a SPU.

nyahnyah.gif But this is an SPU...in your HEAD. I always loved that idea. wink.gif
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (blakkie)
nyahnyah.gif But this is an SPU...in your HEAD. I always loved that idea. wink.gif

One of the best peices of flavor, ever. smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
Good point on the Capacity; consider it gone. For some reason I was thinking that headware could only be installed on meatbraind or cyberskulls; guess I thought wrong. And blakkie's suggestions look good to me.

Any other suggestions for SPU addons?

And I agree: boo to boring 'ware. smile.gif
FrankTrollman
As for getting rid of "boring" ware, I both agree and disagree. There should be cyberware equivalents for most bioware and vice versa. So for example: if a generic bonus is currently available only as bioware, there should probably be a cheaper, less essence friendly version available as cyberware.

Furthermore, if something does something which is inherently the same as just giving you more dice (such as reducing thresholds or intervals), it should probably just give you extra dice. For consistency, if nothing else. Remember, one of the big selling points of SR4 is unified mechanics. Don't come up with five new mechanics for "you get done with the task in less time" when the game already has one that is standard.

Now, if you want some weird things for Encephalons and SPUs to do, there are plenty that don't just make things more complicated for no reason. For example:

A device could allow you to better interperate incoming data from AR that gives you an extra die or two whenever AR is giving you extra dice. So when a tactical computer is handing you bonuses, you get bigger ones.

A device could maintain a separate subscriber list, allowing you to keep tabs on more drones/agents.

A device could act as a circuit breaker in your PAN, essentially allowing you to maintain separate PANs that would have to be hacked separately. I would call this device a "meat locker", based on the flavor text that it works by having the different PANs communicate only through living neural tissue.

A device could move the awareness of AR data to your memory from your vision, allowing you to ignore distractions and visibility impairments from spammers and RFIDs while still allowing yourself to gain that information.

There are lots of things that devices can do. But non-die related success assurances are a step in the wrong direction.

-Frank
Fortune
I have to say that I agree with Frank on this. Any mechanics should fit seemlessly into already established canon methods.

That being said, I do like quite a few of the ideas here. smile.gif
Gothic Rose
Agreed, on both counts. I like some of the things, but mechanics should be more generic. It's just how SR4 is.
Eyeless Blond
Point taken. How about the current revision?
Chandon
Frank: The book does use threshold reduction. For example, the photographic memory edge reduces thresholds for memory tests. It's true that most modifiers are dice pool modifiers, but there's a large advantage to threshold modifiers: They aren't extra dice to roll.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Chandon)
Frank: The book does use threshold reduction. For example, the photographic memory edge reduces thresholds for memory tests. It's true that most modifiers are dice pool modifiers, but there's a large advantage to threshold modifiers: They aren't extra dice to roll.

Also, Full-VR reduces the threshold of Vehicle tests by one.
Elve
I think the biggest difference in threshold modifiers is, taht you can get a thrshold of 0 or an autosuccess without rolling dice...

So with a photographic memory you just remember simple stuff, and driving VR is an successfull taks in easy situations...
Eyeless Blond
That said, the variable Threshold reduction had to go, as it was complicated but didn't really add anything noteworthy. Interestingly having the SPU add dice to Extended Tests works out basically the same as a percentage Threshold reduction in that case, because those extra dice are rolled over and over again.

As for the rest, how's it look?
NightmareX
Like the changes smile.gif

Perhaps you could adapt a version of this old toy for the Math SPU?

QUOTE (KGR Issue 1)
Smartlink II Kinematics Accelerator
The bleeding edge in Smartgun technology, the Kinematics accelerator is a dedicated targeting processor designed to compensate for motion – either the target’s or your own – making cleaner shots while moving a reality.  The Kinematics Accelerator accessory is only compatible with the Smartlink II system.
Game Mechanics: The Smartlink II Kinematics Accelerator negates half the motion modifiers for ranged combat with a Smartgun.  This reduces the Attacker Walking and Target Running modifiers to +1, and the Attacker Running modifier to +2.

Essence        Cost            Availability Street Index Legality
0.1              9,500 ¥        9/48 hrs                  3        5P-N
Eyeless Blond
You know, I thought about that. There's only one problem: there are no ranged combat penalties for a moving target! Or, at least, I couldn't find them; can anyone else?
Nikoli
And I wouldn't use an arbitrary halving, mainly because attacker in a moving vehicle is -3 dice. i would simply say it reduces the penalty to dice by 1 or you'll get folks trying to argue the half die aspect, as the developers seem to have been very confused on their own mechanics; at some points in the mechnics desriptions they round up when halving and round down for others, with no guidelines as to when each should happen. There should have been one method for all cases, either up for down, but never both without a guideline to go with when a GM is going form the top of their head for a ruling
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
You know, I thought about that. There's only one problem: there are no ranged combat penalties for a moving target! Or, at least, I couldn't find them; can anyone else?

True. But running targets get bonuses to their Dodge tests, which has much the same effect.

Basically, if your opponent is running and trying to avoid getting shot, they get 2 extra dice to avoid your bullets. But if they are running and do not know that they are in danger, they get no bonus (because they don't get to make a defense roll).

-Frank
blakkie
Just tossing a wacky idea at the wall here, Smartlink II Kinematics Accelerator option for the SPU gives a penalty to the target's Dodge? Running target or not, it tries to predict possible Dodge options the target has, in the process limiting the possible successful moves/twitches/dekes the target could make.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Oct 13 2005, 08:39 AM)

Or you could simply have it reduce the defender's dice pool by 1 or 2. The whole half modifier thing was specifically for SR3.

Edit - Damnit blakkie, you beat me to the punch nyahnyah.gif

Edit II - And be sure to get rid of the Smartlink II reference in the name if you decide to use it smile.gif , although I would require a smartlink system to be involved in order to get the benefit.
Fortune
Personally, I think this new Smartlink add-on is a big Yuck! The bonus for a Smartlink is already enough, without penalizing the defender even more on his (probably quite limited) Dodge.

NIMG.
blakkie
I'm not so sure about so strongly linking it into the SL myself.

However if it only gives a -1 die (what i'm thinking is best since short of Full Defense targets don't normally get that many base dice anyway), and is cyberware only that's roughly in the neighborhood of a decent trade-off.

EDIT: Also IMO not linking it to SL at all makes it easier to fiat that it can't be duplicated in [commlink] software outside of cyberware. Unless you make a cyberware version of SL a requirement? Like i said, just tossing ideas out here.

EDIT 2: And remember, this isn't something that the hidden sniper can use to even futher tweak out. If the target doesn't get the roll, the attacker doesn't get the benefit.
Eyeless Blond
How about this:

-Kinematic Forcaster- This module adds some of the latest advances in kinematics and statistical forecasting to your SPU. When properly integrated to a Smartlink system, this module adds +2 dice to any ranged combat tests, made at Short or Medium range, where the target is moving slowly or not at all. This modifier is reduced to +1 dice if the target is moving quickly and erratically (running) or is very far away or if the range is Long or Extreme, and disappears if the target is running ans at Long or Extreme range.

Oh, and another:

Inverse Kinematic Analysis Module- As you are reading this, you are obviously a millitary unit looking to better your tactical options. Well today is your lucky day, because this is the bleeding edge, chummer. This module upgrades your SPU with an internal database of cross-sectional images of, among other things, thousands of human and metahuman bodies. Combine this with some of the most advanced inverse kinematic algorithms around you've got yourself a device that can show you exactly where your enemies keep their internal organs--right through their skin, clothing and armor! As a result, lower the penalty suffered by making a Called Shot by 2, to a minimum penalty of -1 dice. (Use of this option doubles the cost of the entire SPU)

(Edit): The thing about requiring a Smartlink is that it'll help in target acquisition; otherwise your SPU won't be able to distinguish what exactly is your target and what you're just looking at. Or something. And if you think about it all this stuff is about making the sniper better; tracking movement, etc etc, and I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. Sniping *should* be easier to augment than CQB anyway; it's certainly a more "controlled" condition.

(Edit x2): What I really wanted though was stuff for non-combat; combat has too many modifiers already for my tastes. smile.gif
blakkie
Can i use the Inverse Kinematic Analysis Module to enchance a BF of Ex-Ex-Ex rounds from a Mossberg to shoot Called Shot dead? nyahnyah.gif

P.S. Just in case the message was missed in the subtleness, i'm not a fan of Called Shot to start with.
Eyeless Blond
To be honest I don't much like combat at all, really. I just wanted to write up a few fun ideas to show off the powers of technobabble and math. smile.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Oct 14 2005, 02:40 AM)
What I really wanted though was stuff for non-combat; combat has too many modifiers already for my tastes.

Then just stop proposing even more combat ware! nyahnyah.gif

I like the combat aspect of Shadowrun, but even my little munchkin heart understands that enough is enough. biggrin.gif
Eyeless Blond
Hey, it wasn't my idea! Well, okay one of them was, but dammit I was insane! or inspired, one of those. smile.gif

Hmm, probabilistic algorithms from game theory to add dice to social situations...
Fortune
You want to propose combat ware? Work out a viable incarnation of Smartball technology. biggrin.gif
Nikoli
simple, smart materials that alter the surface to make use of the prevailing conditions and remaining energy from the throw to steer the ball to the desired target. namely the RFID in the gloves of the person you are throwing to.
Fortune
It was invented with basketball (and the like) in mind back in the early '50s, so I doubt that it would incorporate RFID tech.
Nikoli
but I'm talking the updated 2070 version.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Fortune)
Personally, I think this new Smartlink add-on is a big Yuck! The bonus for a Smartlink is already enough, without penalizing the defender even more on his (probably quite limited) Dodge.

NIMG.

As I mentioned, it was originally made for third edition, witht the express purpose of helping to bring target numbers a bit back toward the level where human beings could actually hit them cool.gif

Translating to 4th edition is still a bit hairy.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
-Kinematic Forcaster- This module adds some of the latest advances in kinematics and statistical forecasting to your SPU. When properly integrated to a Smartlink system, this module adds +2 dice to any ranged combat tests, made at Short or Medium range, where the target is moving slowly or not at all. This modifier is reduced to +1 dice if the target is moving quickly and erratically (running) or is very far away or if the range is Long or Extreme, and disappears if the target is running ans at Long or Extreme range.

Keeps to the spirit of the original, but between this and a smartlink you get +4 dice at short or medium ranges? A bit too much maybe.

Inverse Kinematic Analysis Module- As you are reading this, you are obviously a millitary unit looking to better your tactical options. Well today is your lucky day, because this is the bleeding edge, chummer. This module upgrades your SPU with an internal database of cross-sectional images of, among other things,  thousands of human and metahuman bodies. Combine this with some of the most advanced inverse kinematic algorithms around you've got yourself a device that can show you exactly where your enemies keep their internal organs--right through their skin, clothing and armor! As a result, lower the penalty suffered by making a Called Shot by 2, to a minimum penalty of -1 dice. (Use of this option doubles the cost of the entire SPU)

Maybe if you take the benefit down to a 1 die reduction in the penalty.
Fortune
QUOTE (Nikoli)
but I'm talking the updated 2070 version.

Yeah I know, but why make it less effective than it was previously. The Smartlink itself is around the same, so Smartball tech should stay similar. The military applications would not incorporate RFID, and as far as I'm concerned neither would sports. It would be better to be completely self-contained (well, as self-contained as a Smartlink).
Fortune
QUOTE (NightmareX)
As I mentioned, it was originally made for third edition, witht the express purpose of helping to bring target numbers a bit back toward the level where human beings could actually hit them

I wouldn't have allowed it in my games in SR3 either.
blakkie
How about:

Virtually Integrated Coolness Improvement(Rating 1-5)

Known on the street as the Small Wonder this piece of cyberware consists of a specially designed SPU that is fully integrated into crainial cortex. Because it is so closely integrated into your brain it actually makes you a better person than anyone has a right to be.

Game info: Adds +1 die/level to any test, including magical, VR, combat, Initiative, etc., that the PC does because, you know, it's cool to have a SPU in your head.

Cost: 1000 nuyen.gif x rating  Essense: 0.2  nuyen.gif x rating Avail: - (sold at your local Stuffer Shack, professional installation extra)

Munchkin satisfaction factor: check
Cheesy 80's tie-in: check
Different than any cyberware out there: check

"But everyone would want want" you say? Well yes, everyone SHOULD want to be this cool. :^)
Eyeless Blond
Well thank you oh-so-much for killing the thread blakkie. smile.gif

Ah well; I guess the topic was mostly dead already.
blakkie
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Oct 14 2005, 08:54 AM)
Well thank you oh-so-much for killing the thread blakkie. smile.gif

Ah well; I guess the topic was mostly dead already.

I figured a lampoon was in order to express just how far, IMO, we (and myself included in that) were going. I wasn't really going for the thread kill. embarrassed.gif

I don't think the whole subject is completely dead though, i've got what i think is a really cool and novel idea for headware. But i want to flesh this one out a lot more before i post it because it has a lot of loose ends to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012