Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vampires stalk the day!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
NightmareX
Just noticed something. In SR4, vampires have allergies to sunlight (moderate) and wood (severe). Thus, they suffer no direct damage from sunlight. eek.gif

(Obviously this is a typo, just thought it was kinda funny.)
Rotbart van Dainig
They didn't even suffer damage from Sunlight back in SR3.
Xenith
Actually, if I remember SR3 critters correctly, normal vampires also have moderate allergy to sunlight. Nosveratu were the ones who had a Severe allergy.

I could be wrong, but this is how I remember it... at least I remember something about one vampire allergy or another being rather silly.

Besides, theres Alleviate Allergy. Powerful vampire magicians could and can indeed walk the day... for killer drain but still...
blakkie
However their Regeneration doesn't work while they are in the sunlight, and pain inducing a -4 die penalty would likely be strong incentive to keep nighttime hours.

EDIT: Alleviate Alergy (which hasn't made the SR4 jump yet i notice), and i suppose incredibily high SPF sunblock aside...
Xenith
The SPF rating a vampire would need, at least IMHO, would basically be body paint rather than sunscreen. And that'd still only lower the allergy by one step, unless they wear heavy duty sunglasses and a veil or similar face wear. Basically they'd look real freakish and suspiscious.

I do agree, however, that they should be sizzling like eggs and bacon in the sunlight. And I wonder on that severe allergy to wood.. doesn't it paralyze them if they get so much as a splinter? Also, in one of the books doesn't it state that silver somehow inhibits their regeneration as well?

On the bright side... they don't have that crazy enhanced physical attributes power anymore. Vampires were powerful enough without it...insane initiative enhancement...
blakkie
I was thinking that wacky looking coloured zinc stuff people wear on their noses....and yes they'd stick out a bit with it smeared all over. I guess they could the apply makeup over that to try look vaguely normal....but with glasses that makes them look like Elton John taking up weilding. smile.gif

The single best thing that happened with vampires is IMO the toning down of the Regeneration power. Not so much for vampires, but for the shifters. It makes it remotely possible for PC shifters to use the same rules as NPC shifters without making a GM bleed out his ears.
Xenith
I honestly haven't read the new regeneration rules. If they've made them more sane I'm all for it. How do they work now?
NightRain
The critter makes a Magic + Body test at the end of each turn, and each hit heals one point of physical or stun. So though they heal slower now, they also heal stun, which they never used to do.

Also, if they exceed their damage track by more than their body (which is dead), they get to make one test to try and bring the overflow back to keep them alive.

They can regen damage from allergies, though not until the source of the allergy is removed. They can't regen magic damage. Finally, you can call a shot to do damage to the head etc (spinal or brain damage) that can't be regened.

I personally don't like the called shot option, because they've slowed regen down anyway, and if calling a shot to the head was enough to do permanent brain damage, there would be a world full of mentally retarded shadowrunners. But like it or not, it's written in to the rules.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
They didn't even suffer damage from Sunlight back in SR3.

Oh...my...god! I don't freaking believe I never noticed that all these years! (Well, there's my moment of idiocy for the day) frown.gif
snowRaven
As for vampires sizzling like bacon in sunlight...go read bram stoker's fine novel Dracula (or watch the movie), the grand-daddy of literary vampires could function perfectly in sunlight - he just didn't have use of most of his vampiric powers.

(Legend-wise there are several accounts of vampires who took damage from the sun , though, but just as many of vampires that didn't and just shied away from it - and in Greece, at least, we even have vampires that walked in direct sunlight without a problem.)
blakkie
QUOTE (NightRain)
I personally don't like the called shot option, because they've slowed regen down anyway, and if calling a shot to the head was enough to do permanent brain damage, there would be a world full of mentally retarded shadowrunners. But like it or not, it's written in to the rules.

I think that's a bit overkill as well. Or maybe it's my dislike of called shots in general. smile.gif It doesn't list what level of called shot you have to make, or whether it does extra damage AND is not healable. That double wammy is pretty harsh. Oh well.

P.S. It might be another copy-paste from SR3 thing, where it moved forward by default.
warrior_allanon
you know, actual in game play i found something that a vamp couldnt stand up to and couldnt regenerate from 2-3 round bursts of flechette from an AS-7, tore it to shreds, of course it was un armored but thats what shot works best against

kinda flustered my GM cause he wasnt expecting me to just waste him like that

evil1i
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
you know, actual in game play i found something that a vamp couldnt stand up to and couldnt regenerate from 2-3 round bursts of flechette from an AS-7, tore it to shreds, of course it was un armored but thats what shot works best against

We had a Vamp that stood up to several rounds of heavy fire from a Troll wielding a HMG plus sundry other characters throwing the occassional fire his way too - bloody GM kept rolling 5's and 6's for the regen! Mind you it was bloody funny when the 16y old decker we had armed with a light pistol capped 1 shot (his only shot for the whole game thus far!) off at said Vamp and dropped him! Do you think we ever heard the end of that!
Aku
i also seem to remember, atleast in some vampire fiction, that the AGE of the vampire also mattered. I can't remember EXACTLY where it was from, but the elder vampires could get away more, i guess, as a boon to surviving for so long.
FrankTrollman
The problem is that the vampire story is, at its heart, so astoundingly common all over the world that saying that any particular thing happens in "some vampire fiction" is almost certainly true. And as a consequence, completely meaningless.

There are stories where vampires happen because tools are left out in the rain, or because melons are left uneaten for too long after they are picked. And no, I didn't make those up.

-Frank
hobgoblin
thats the problem with vamps, to many storys from to many areas. then trow some writers doing their own interpetations and so on and presto, confused game designers and players.

i think it was COC that basicly handed the list of options and suggestions about abilitys and weaknesses for a vampire.

hell, about the only thing dracula had in common with the old vampire myths was that they both came back from the dead. other than that it was on "sounds cool" basis more or less.

as for severe allergy to wood. im guessing that it only means +1 hit to weapons made of wood or having a wood business end. and that while in contact with said wood, no regeneration can happen. so a stake to the heart (basicly a deadly attack with a wood weapon) will kill as long as it remains. i dont think that the sr vampires do the buffy/blade thing, or atleast i dont recall them doing that on death.

so i wonder, will they regenerate if said stake is removed?
blakkie
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 12 2005, 07:02 PM)
so i wonder, will they regenerate if said stake is removed?

You might be thinking of them going into hibernation when cut off from air (i'm not sure if they still consume essense in that state?) Remember that SR vampires are [mostly] living, not truely undead in the normal sense (besides the wacky 0 essense state that can temporarily be in). With the new Regeneration once they 'die' and don't regen back to life at the end of the Combat Turn they are completely, forever dead.....unless they are a main character in a novel or the metaplot. :^)

P.S. Speaking of which what are the odds that the Next Big Thing is actually a comeback for Art Dankwalter? dead.gif sleepy.gif eek.gif biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
who knows, what kind of bunker could survive what they hit his place with?

or for that matter, was his body ever found?
blakkie
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 13 2005, 09:27 AM)
who knows, what kind of bunker could survive what they hit his place with?

or for that matter, was his body ever found?

With the kind of cash he had laying around he could have had a top notch vatjob of a sizable chunk of his body for DNA evidence of his death in case such a need arose. The faking/covering up the astral imprint of it would have been tricker, but having something around for some serious astral mess (radioactive intruments?) would help there. Besides there would have been lots of other deaths to cover it up if he happened to be outside the blast radius.

Then there are Master Shedim, or Art the chained ghost. The later having a mobility problem (i think?), the former being an issue for transfering the motivation to screw with the people that dropped the Thor on him.
blakkie
BTW you might want to ask the US military about how tough it is to locate and assasinate by long distance ordinance. wink.gif I'm not just talking Iraq here. For example the US/UK tried to take out Momar Kadafi and just got one (or more?) of his [adopted IIRC] kids, and that wasn't in the fog of larger war either.
hobgoblin
well i would expect that a thor shot delivers a lot more area damage then a cruise missile or whatever they used...

allso, didnt US military take out a car with a predator carrying a stinger some years ago?
ok, not exactly long range but still...
blakkie
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 13 2005, 09:58 AM)
well i would expect that a thor shot delivers a lot more area damage then a cruise missile or whatever they used...

Ya, but i think in that case was Kadafi wasn't even at the target the bombers dropped on, at the time.

There-in lies the problem, knowing where the target is and getting the payload to the target before he moves again.

EDIT: What was this thread's topic again???? silly.gif embarrassed.gif
hobgoblin
something about vamp(ire)s getting a tan smokin.gif
blakkie
From a Thor shot?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (blakkie)
P.S. Speaking of which what are the odds that the Next Big Thing is actually a comeback for Art Dankwalter? dead.gif sleepy.gif eek.gif biggrin.gif

He's not Uncle Ben, thus he could be brought back. He could be brought back as a vampire, even.
Emmeric
QUOTE (blakkie)
However their Regeneration doesn't work while they are in the sunlight, and pain inducing a -4 die penalty would likely be strong incentive to keep nighttime hours.

EDIT: Alleviate Alergy (which hasn't made the SR4 jump yet i notice), and i suppose incredibily high SPF sunblock aside...

Wait, is this true? Regeneration not working in sunlight? I'd check, but i'm at work...
blakkie
QUOTE (Emmeric @ Oct 13 2005, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 12 2005, 12:35 AM)

Wait, is this true? Regeneration not working in sunlight? I'd check, but i'm at work...

Yup, it's right in the text of the Regeneration power, last line:

If the critter has an Allergy, the critter cannot regenerate damage until the allergen’s presence is removed.

EDIT: That is sunlight generally is not a problem unless the critter has an allergy to it.
Emmeric
grazie... smile.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (blakkie)
From a Thor shot?

hmm, quite the image...
Phantom Runner
QUOTE (NightRain)
...and if calling a shot to the head was enough to do permanent brain damage, there would be a world full of mentally retarded shadowrunners....

Uhmm, isn't that the way it is?

At least that's the impression I get from reading a lot of SR stories grinbig.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Xenith)
The SPF rating a vampire would need, at least IMHO, would basically be body paint rather than sunscreen.

Actually, depending on the body paint in question, it may or may not provide any UV blocking. One of the worst sunburns of my life happened to me when I was in full body paint as a tiger for a college football game. Sad thing is, of the three colors I had on, the dark purple I was using for the stripes actually did a good job at blocking the UV, the orange less so, and the white areas seemed to burn worse.

So, when I washed it off, I found that I had a sunburn in the pattern of my paint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012