Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle/Drone Sizes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Veggiesama
There are five different sizes for drones: microdrone, minidrone, small, medium, large. Microdrones have a -6 concealability modifier, and minidrones have a -2. I'm assuming you can't attempt to hide anything bigger on your person.

Microdrones sound like they're the size of a stamp or small insect.

Minidrones are probably the size of a grapefruit or small pistol.

p323: "A shop is transportable with a large vehicle."

Anything beyond that I don't know. About how big are these things?
Jaid
the body 4 drones i am guessing are about the size of a motorcycle (which also has a body of 4) or a metahuman (which has the same signature modifier).

of course, that's just my guess... i know one of them says a size, hold on...

[edit] ok, the microskimmer (micro) says as big as a can lid (i am guessing they mean like canned foods). the iball(mini) is about the size of an eyeball (as witnessed by the fact that you can make a cyberware version that sits in your eye). you can also fit a flashpak into it, presumably miniaturized, since i think a normal flashpack is described as about the size of a box of cigarettes. the flyspy (mini) is about the size of "a large insect", which i'm guessing is probably about 2-3" long, but maybe a little more. the crawler (small) is i am guessing a tracked vehicle that can handle stairs, so maybe about a foot on a side? a little more? the body 3 drones are big enough to mount an LMG or smaller, so i'm guessing maybe dwarf sized or thereabouts. and finally, the large drones i am guessing are maybe the size of a troll, or thereabouts? i mean, that would be "large" would it not? and about the size of a motorcycle... if it's a somewhat large motorcycle... [/edit]
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Jaid)
the iball(mini) is about the size of an eyeball (as witnessed by the fact that you can make a cyberware version that sits in your eye).

The regular iBall is bigger than that, in terms of both Body and actual size. The Lone Star iBall also can carry a Flashpak and smoke grenade in its layout. The Ocular Drone behaves as an iBall drone, but it is much smaller.
Jaid
ah, i see...

well, in that case, i would probably revise the flyspy to be a little larger too.

so, what... about baseball sized for the iball then? 4 inches for the flyspy?
Jaid
hmmm... well, one of the SR4 artists posted a website that just so happens to have a couple of the flying drones with a "average human" outline for comparison.

i'm guessing these are the C-D Dalmation(large), and the Lockheed Optic-X(medium) (not necessarily in that order =P )

so, for reference, here are the size of them as Combat Drones
BaronKen
The Lockheed Optic-X is listed as a small size drone.

Here are some sizes I proposed for some drones:
The GM-Nissan Doberman (size Medium drone) I suspect are named because they are similar in size to a dog. The MCT-Nissan Roto-drone (Medium) is basically the same, while the Lockheed Optic-X (Small) would be about the size of a cat (with wings folded). I'm picturing the Optic-X as a small RC airplane like you would find at a local hobby shop in 2005.

The Lone Star iBall (Minidrone) would be a little bigger than an eyeball (which would be an Ocular Drone size).
The Shiawase Kanmushi's are Microdrone 'bugs', so I'm guessing about the size of a fly.

Adding to the above:
As for the Sikorsky-Bell Microskimmer (Microdrone), it says it's smaller than a can lid. so I would guess about 2" in diameter and about 0.5" thick.
The MCT Fly-Spy (Minidrone) is as Jaid said: size of a large insect, though I would think maybe 3-4" would be more appropriate.
The Aztechnology Crawler (Small) sounds about like Jaid estimated. A tracked vehicle maybe the size of a small RC truck from a 2005 hobby shop.
Jaid
hmmm... so now i have to figure out what those drones were then... *is confused*

ah well, i'll stick with my first and second guesses then =P
RunnerPaul
For what it's worth, in previous editions, the Sikorsky-Bell Microskimmer was described as the size of a trashcan lid.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Oct 15 2005, 06:54 AM)
For what it's worth, in previous editions, the Sikorsky-Bell Microskimmer was described as the size of a trashcan lid.

The technology has probably gotten better and miniaturized since 2065. That's my take on it, anyway.

EDIT: Changed the year. *sigh*
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
The technology has probably gotten better and miniaturized since 3065. That's my take on it, anyway.

That's why we have access to X-lasers and Thunderbolt missile systems instead of just sitting around moping that we don't have clan equipment.

-Frank
hahnsoo
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Oct 15 2005, 10:36 AM)
The technology has probably gotten better and miniaturized since 3065.  That's my take on it, anyway.

That's why we have access to X-lasers and Thunderbolt missile systems instead of just sitting around moping that we don't have clan equipment.

-Frank

Ah, the Thunderbolt LRM-20... how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Heck, even the Thunderbolt LRM-15 is practically a Gauss Rifle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012