Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Geomancy in Hong Kong
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
blakkie
I'm looking for the references outside of SoA where i can find info on Hong Kong magic, specifically stuff on dragon lines, geomancy, and wild magic.

I know dragon lines are described generally in Target Awakened Lands at least, but i don't think they mention it that book exactly where all of them are and doesn't mention Hong Kong.

P.S. Yes i'm looking to get this info before Runner Havens comes out, which i assume will provide a lot more detail and in SR4 rules mechanics to boot.
hahnsoo
Information about the Dragon Lines in Hong Kong are sparse, but here are a few leads you can follow:
Portfolio of a Dragon: Dunkelzahn's Secrets p 83-84
Year of the Comet, p 78-79
SOTA:2063, p 44-47, p 53
MITS, p 84-85 (not very useful)

I'll post more references if I find them.
blakkie
Thanks hahnsoo.

Just to be clear about wild magic, i know about it's short description in the MitS, page 87-88. I was just looking to see if there was any further references to specifics about manifestations of wild magic in Hong Kong. I noticed that SoA has an IC comment bit about someone trying to cast fireball but having a zippo materializing in their hand instead. This is not like anything that appears on the MitS list, which mostly concerns spirit centric events.

P.S. Unfortunately i didn't get through all of SoA yet, particularly any game mechanics pieces, and won't have the opportunity to until Sunday. My apologies if there are answers there that i missed.
winterhawk11
One of the adventures in Survival of the Fittest is centered around geomancy.
fistandantilus4.0
... and is the most sparse adventure I have ever seen for details

[ Spoiler ]
blakkie
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 14 2005, 11:45 PM)
... and is the most sparse adventure I have ever seen for details.

How sparse is the info on geomancy in it? A couple of lines, a paragraph, half a column? Actual rules or IC fluff?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 14 2005, 11:45 PM)
... and is the most sparse adventure I have ever seen for details.

How sparse is the info on geomancy in it? A couple of lines, a paragraph, half a column? Actual rules or IC fluff?

IC Fluff. All of the rules for the actual Hong Kong magic are deferred to MITS page references. Still, the adventure in there is a good read, in terms of finding ways to incorporate Hong Kong magic into a run.
TheNarrator
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
... and is the most sparse adventure I have ever seen for details

[ Spoiler ]

We did this run last night. (Note: it wasn't the same set of characters as the "Plan Alpha" group that I talked about in the team names thread.) Our DM had to make up almost all the details of the corporate security system, because the book only has a grand total of four paragraphs of info about infiltrating the building.

He came up with a lot of really good stuff, and after a great deal of prior planning we were able to come up with a subtle way to get in, disguised as independantly contracted bodyguards for a sales exec. Sadly, we still wound up having to fall back on the "put a bomb on the statue and threaten to blow up the room unless they stay back" back-up plan, when an Awakened security guard doing a regular check went astrally perceiving and noticed that the sales exec who was negotiating with us potential buyers (in the pretty scenery of the top floor penthouse) was actually under a Control Thoughts spell.

So very close to being one of our perfect, sneaky runs. Ah, well. Stalling for time and then escaping after midnight was a lot of fun.
fistandantilus4.0
hey, whatever works. Sounds about par for the course really. Everything going perfect right up until the end.
Blakkie: the info on it is interesting, but nothing what so ever with rules after the 'adjustments', just general background count info, and you can see astrally there as a mundane (mana-whatever). Interesting, just not helpful.
blakkie
I would class stating that mundanes and non-astral awakened being able to see into the astral as at least somewhat helpful, even if i have to make up my own vision modifers for it. MitS has that on the random list for Wild Magic, but it is pretty rare for it to occur oddswise.

Thanks everyone for the info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012