Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Sprites go Free?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Omer Joel
When reading SR4, p.236, it hit me - Sprites can go "uncontrolled" just like Spirits eek.gif. That is, they can act independently, at least for a time. Now, we all know that Spirits of sufficient power can go free and roam the physical and astral worlds under their own control for an indefinite time, maybe even centuries or millennia, and be fully sentient.

Now, following the same logic, can Sprites go free just like Spirits (and thus create many, many small AIs! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifdevil.gif) or is it the ripped-and-pasted Magic rules used for Technomancers driving me to the wrong conclusions?

Or is the transformation of Otaku into Technomancers being Deus' way of reproduction? devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif
Azralon
I'd say we'll have to wait for the hacker expansion book to find out.
hobgoblin
i recall a story in traget:matrix about a person being aproached online by a daemon from a otaku he knows. the daemon wants to tell him that his friend is no longer among the living.

sure, this is in the open season section of the book, but it sounds like the writers where playing with the idea of free sprites.
Nkari
Ofc sprites will be able to go free.. its so obvious that they will one day.. just wait for the book.. =)
Xenith
rotate.gif Or perhaps they did that to make us think they would absolutely do that and won't...

Or they knew we would figure that out so they decided to do it anyway.... or not... or... wobble.gif wobble.gif wobble.gif

... I think I burst a blood vessel.... dead.gif

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
RunnerPaul
Normally, I don't throw in movie quotes into threads willy-nilly, but this one was begging for it:

I killed you, Mr. Anderson. I watched you die... with a certain satisfaction, I might add. Then something happened. something that I knew was impossible, but it happened anyway. You destroyed me, Mr. Anderson. After that, I understood the rules, I knew what I was supposed to do, but I didn't. I couldn't. I was compelled to stay, compelled to disobey. And now, here I stand because of you, Mr. Anderson. Because of you, I'm no longer an Agent of this system. Because of you, I've changed. I'm unplugged. A new man, so to speak. Like you, apparently, free.
blakkie
Did you make that really, really hard to read on purpose? Or was it unintentional pain stabbing me in the eye just moments ago as i worked my way through that line after line? Good quote selection though.
RunnerPaul
Agent Smith just strikes me as a monospace font kind of guy, you know?
Nkari
Agent Smith is the überest guy in da whole matrix.. until part 2 and 3 of the matrix that is.. then it just gets.. ....
Ancient History
QUOTE (Omer Joel)
When reading SR4, p.236, it hit me - Sprites can go "uncontrolled" just like Spirits eek.gif. That is, they can act independently, at least for a time. Now, we all know that Spirits of sufficient power can go free and roam the physical and astral worlds under their own control for an indefinite time, maybe even centuries or millennia, and be fully sentient.

Now, following the same logic, can Sprites go free just like Spirits (and thus create many, many small AIs! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifdevil.gif) or is it the ripped-and-pasted Magic rules used for Technomancers driving me to the wrong conclusions?

Or is the transformation of Otaku into Technomancers being Deus' way of reproduction? devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

Nothing new, really. E'en in SR3, at least some sprites survived the deaths of the otaku that created them.
Jürgen Hubert
And in the 2.0 Matrix there seem to be lots of independent matrix entities around...

So I'd say yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012