Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking Tutorial
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Magus
Hi all,
I am running a hacker for our local gaming group out here in Orlando Fl. It does seem pretty easy and streamlined at first go and as we are taking it easy and exploring the new rules system. But I many questions on what my player can do. I have an upgraded Comlink/Firewall Sys/firewall Response/Signal all 5's. How many programs can I have running at one time without slowing down my response time? Can I switch out/upload new programs on the fly?
Would it be possible for the dumpshock Matrix experts to run through a HackerMatrix tutorial such as Synner had for SR3 on the board?

Thanks
Feshy
I have an upgraded Comlink/Firewall Sys/firewall Response/Signal all 5's. How many programs can I have running at one time without slowing down my response time?

According to page 225, up to System programs can be run without issue. After that, you subtract 1 for each System number of programs running. Thus, for you, 1-5 is no reduction, 6-9 is -1, and 10-14 is -2, and so on. This seems odd to me, really, that 5 is included in the first penalty group, but 10 is not included in the second. However, this is how the rule is written, and it is even an example.

Can I switch out/upload new programs on the fly?

Yes. Shutting down a running program is a simple action. Running a new program is a complex action, according to the actions table on 219. (This also applies to starting / stoping agents)

Can I switch out/upload new programs on the fly?

Many people have expressed interest in this, I too would like to see it.

I am running a hacker for our local gaming group out here in Orlando Fl

I lived there a while myself. Hopefully I'll move back to that general area again soon, my SR group is there still smile.gif Don't miss the weather though...
Vector
There was talk about a hacker tutorial like that in another thread, but I don't know what came of it...
Eyeless Blond
Here's a question: System is (sorta) capped by Response, and all other programs are capped by System. So, if you have a System of 6 and a Response of 5 (basically the best you can get at chargen), how many programs can you run before your Response drops to 4?

So far by reading the rules, I can see arguments for 5, 6, 11, and 12. Which is it?

Oh, and what would be a "standard hacker loadout" for the following? The question is suddenly more relevant, as it's no longer just a matter of having lots of (fairly) cheap Active Memory.
-hacking a secured node (plenty of time to Probe the target)
-hacking a secured node (building burning down around you)
-stealing someone's car
-Rigging
-at a meet with a Johnson
-doing a research project; legwork
-doing a disinformation project; anti-legwork? smile.gif
Feshy
Here's a question: System is (sorta) capped by Response, and all other programs are capped by System. So, if you have a System of 6 and a Response of 5 (basically the best you can get at chargen), how many programs can you run before your Response drops to 4?

So far by reading the rules, I can see arguments for 5, 6, 11, and 12. Which is it?

System is capped by response, the only "sorta" is if you upgrade response, your system can function at it's full value. So, for all practical purposes, your System rating in your example is 5.

With System of 5 (or System capped to an effective 5 by a response of 5), as I said, you can run the following number of programs with the following penalties:

1-4 programs: No Penalty, response 5.
5-9 programs: -1 penalty, response 4.
10-14 programs: -2 penalty, response 3.
15-19 programs: -3 penalty, response 2.
20-22 programs (there are only 22 programs): -4 penalty, response 1.
Magus
so you can have 4 programs/agents running at one time with no response loss and lets say 10 more in memory. Swapping out at need as a simple action?
Vector
Making a program not active is a Simple Action and activating a new one is a Complex Action. So it would take both a Simple Action and a Complex Action to swap two programs.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Feshy @ Oct 18 2005, 12:33 PM)
System is capped by response, the only "sorta" is if you upgrade response, your system can function at it's full value.  So, for all practical purposes, your System rating in your example is 5.

With System of 5 (or System capped to an effective 5 by a response of 5), as I said, you can run the following number of programs with the following penalties:

5-9 programs: -1 penalty, response 4.
10-14 programs: -2 penalty, response 3.
15-19 programs: -3 penalty, response 2.
20-22 programs (there are only 22 programs): -4 penalty, response 1.

It can't possibly work that way, because if System is really capped by Response then when Response decreases so does System:

5-7 programs: -1 penalty (System*1 programs active), response 4, System 4
8 programs: -2 penalty (System*2 programs active), response 3, System 3
9 programs: -3 penalty (System*3 programs active), response 2, System 2... but now you're running more than System*4 programs, so response decreases again to 1, which decreases System to 1... which decreases response again to 0, decreasing system to 0, and your Commlink crashes.
Aeros
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
It can't possibly work that way, because if System is really capped by Response then when Response decreases so does System:

9 programs: -3 penalty (System*3 programs active), response 2, System 2... but now you're running more than System*4 programs, so response decreases again to 1, which decreases System to 1... which decreases response again to 0, decreasing system to 0, and your Commlink crashes.

Ah, the Cascade argument. You can't possibly think that's how it was meant to work, can you?
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Aeros)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Oct 18 2005, 09:32 PM)

Ah, the Cascade argument. You can't possibly think that's how it was meant to work, can you?

No I don't think it does, which is why I was saying that Response doesn't actually cap System, at least in terms of limiting you to (System) rating in programs; it only limits you when you're actually rolling your System program rating for a test. So, for Response 5 System 6:

1-5 programs: No Penalty, response 5. System tests made with System rating 5.
6-11 programs: -1 penalty, response 4. System tests made with System rating 4.
12-17 programs: -2 penalty, response 3. System tests made with System rating 3.
Etc etc.
Jaid
you could also have more than 22 programs running. sure, some of those would have to be IC/Agents/Autosofts maybe, but you could have that many running.
Feshy
No I don't think it does, which is why I was saying that Response doesn't actually cap System, at least in terms of limiting you to (System) rating in programs

It still does; it just isn't RE-capped every time response decreases from system load. Thus, when response is decreased by running programs, system stays the same.

At least, that's how I interpret it -- the book, unfortunately, isn't especially clear on the matter.

you could also have more than 22 programs running. sure, some of those would have to be IC/Agents/Autosofts maybe, but you could have that many running.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Which brings me to an important point -- Agents seemingly let you get around the program limits. Agents count as one running program. Agents can run multiple programs themselves. Thus, you could load all your attack programs into one agent, and run that agent, counting as a single program. The only drawback is that then your utilities are limited by the agent's rating instead of your skill, and your programs are vulnerable to the agent being attacked.

Of course, if you have sufficiently advanced agents, they may actually be better than your skill, thus leading to the various discussions around here of a "hacker in a box" -- an advanced agent that replaces your team's hacker entirely.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Feshy)
No I don't think it does, which is why I was saying that Response doesn't actually cap System, at least in terms of limiting you to (System) rating in programs

It still does; it just isn't RE-capped every time response decreases from system load. Thus, when response is decreased by running programs, system stays the same.

At least, that's how I interpret it -- the book, unfortunately, isn't especially clear on the matter.

Ugh, but that would create a functional difference between a commlink with Response 3 running System 6 software and a commlink with Response 4, lowered to Response 3 through program load, running the same System 6 software. I'm not sure that makes an ounce of sense; why would there be a difference between two commlinks that both have the same Response?

Eh, I guess I can see where you're coming from, but with your idea you'll have to record three values for System: it's actual rating, the first modified rating when the "natural" Response slows it down (for determining max programs), and then the second modified rating when the "modified" Response slows the System down again. It just screams inelegance to me, I guess.
Vector
If you re-capped each time response dropped due to load you would also have to drop active connections to hosts from your active subscriber list. If you simply cap System at the initial Response rating you figure out those limitations once and you're done. Much less bookkeeping that way.
Magus
So other than the system/response questions let's kinda steer this back to point. wobble.gif

What about the other kind of tests? Attack encounters or just trying to hack Mr. J's commlink to find out some dirt?

Veggiesama
Yeah, this whole system/response debate that I've seen in other posts is kind of useless. That whole "cascading effect" is probably just due to poor wording.

I have been trying to construct a sort of flow chart for all sorts of combat to put in my GM screen/cheat sheet, but hacking has been where it's killing me. Cybercombat is no problem, though, and it's actually easier than everything else.

Now could somebody please run through a scenario of a hacker, well, hacking something? I think everyone just wants to see one big long italicized piece of gameplay, which was sorely lacking in one of the most complicated (to most of us) areas of the book.
BlackHat
Also, with Responce 5, System 6 (effectivly 5) can't you run 5 programs without losing responce?

IN the Core book it says something like "If the number of programs running is MORE than the system rating, then you reduce the responce by 1 for every system programs" (emphesis mine)

So while they are equal, you are still good.
Xeros
Literally, system 6 and response 5 means you actually have system 5. If you therefore have 6 programs, your response drops to 4, which means you also now have system 4. Therefore, if you have 8 programs, your response would drop to 3, and also system 3, which mean 9 programs would drop you to 2, which would immediately drop you to 1, and then 0.

My conclusion would be that system is limited by response, but is in fact still the original system. So when the response drops, system can only act at the response level, but is still considered a system of the original rating in terms of supporting programs. But that's my guess.
BlackHat
Yes, but I was talking about running 5 programs on a commlink with System 5. Near as I can tell, that's just fine.

I was referring ot the table someone else gave:

Even assuming that your System does count as 5 for EVERYTHING while running on a commlink with responce 5 - you can still run 5 programs without penalty, since the number of programs is not greater than the system rating.

At least, that was my take after reading the rules.
Vector
You only calculate Response drops once. With Reponse 5, System 6, you would have no drop at 5 programs, a drop to 4 at 6-10 programs, a drop to 3 at 11-15 programs, etc. There is no cascading drop in Response.
BlackHat
Another question I had was, if responce does drop - and the system has to function at a lower rating... does that still limit the number of devices which can be subscribed. In other words, is it possible for a rigger to load up one too many programs and accidentally boot two of his drones off of his network?
hobgoblin
my take:

response = cpu. basicly how fast you comlink is.

system = os. better rating, more effective os. as in less cpu wasted on managing the programs that you run.

therefor as the number of programs start to pile up, the os starts to eat cpu to keep all those programs managed. only other options is to crash out or refuse to load that program that would lead to a response drop.

i dont see the logic in dropping system every time you drop response. basicly that will lead to a drop towards zero the moment you load that one program that goes over the limit.
Jaid
my, how short people's memories are, and how unwilling to do a search =P

for those of you who wanted to see a hacking scenario played out, i show unto you:

Feshy's (Very Long) Hacking Example!!

hope that helps.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Jaid)

I'm not sure I see how that post is relevant to the conversation (of programs bringing down response, bringing down system). Granted, I skimmed that post - because its frigging huge - but would you mind linking some quotes or response numbers or something?
Jaid
that post wasn't relevant to the system/response cascading mess argument. although, i believe feshy used the assumption that cascading doesn't happen, i don't believe he had a commlink with higher system than response anyways, so it wouldn't help.

what it would help, is all those people (i think there were at least three of them, anyways =P) who requested an example of hacking.

which, i should point out, is pretty much what this thread was originally about =P
BlackHat
Haha, very true.
Feshy
QUOTE (BlackHat)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 8 2005, 11:05 AM)

I'm not sure I see how that post is relevant to the conversation (of programs bringing down response, bringing down system). Granted, I skimmed that post - because its frigging huge - but would you mind linking some quotes or response numbers or something?

If all you want is confirmation that Response 5 System 6 (capped at 5) runs up to 5 programs without penalty, scroll up a few posts -- that was the specific example I gave, with that exact result.

This was the thread that inspired me to write that other mammoth thread, and pre-dates it smile.gif
BlackHat
Well, actually, I also wondered if you were runing responce 5 with system 6 (capped at 5) with 10 devices subscribed (2x system)... and 5 programs running.. THen ran that 6th program. Which would drop response to 4, system would be capped at 4, and so would two of your devices randomly drop?
Feshy
QUOTE (BlackHat)
Well, actually, I also wondered if you were runing responce 5 with system 6 (capped at 5) with 10 devices subscribed (2x system)... and 5 programs running.. THen ran that 6th program. Which would drop response to 4, system would be capped at 4, and so would two of your devices randomly drop?

I wish I knew. Unfortunately, the rules really don't say very clearly.

What I've been going with personally is System is capped by the response when no programs are running for purposes of subscriber lists and number of programs that are able to run without penalty. For these two purposes, only hardware changes effect System. For purposes of maximum program rating, which can never be higher than System, System is capped to the current response, factoring in program load.

The rules as written may not back up this interpretation; but they aren't very clear. However, as pointed out before, re-capping System with every response decrease can rapidly lead to a complete crash. In addition, random things connected to your PAN would start dropping out. While my system initially sounds more complicated, it actually simplifies things because you don't need to re-calculate the system load or subscriber lists constantly.

On the other hand, allowing System to be reduced by load for purposes of subscriber lists leaves open an easy exploit. Hack in to the enemy street sam's commlink. Begin uploading agents (no test.) Within a few initiative passes, his commlink will start to loose connections -- smartlinks, wired reflexes, etc. A few passes more, and the commlink crashes. Once access at basic user level is achieved (easy to do when hacking on the fly) no further tests are necessary. This could still happen with my system, but it takes considerably longer.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who wrote the hacking rules had any experience in computer security at all. sleepy.gif
Slacker
QUOTE (Feshy)
A few passes more, and the commlink crashes.  Once access at basic user level is achieved (easy to do when hacking on the fly) no further tests are necessary.

I don't have my book with me, but I am pretty sure that it specifically says that commlinks do not have basic user level access. They only have administrative access which is much harder to achieve.
Vector
I thought that was just for cyberware and other simple equipment...
Slacker
Guess it was just my gm that said commlinks only have admin access. I can see where he got it though.

QUOTE (SR3 p 216)
Note that standard electronic devices only have admin accounts, as there is no need for other accounts for their software.

Since virtually everybody is supposed to have a commlink, wouldn't commlinks be "standard electronic devices"? Also, a commlink is your personal communication device, what need is there for other accounts?
RunnerPaul
There would be a use for limited-privilege accounts, even on devices that are typically single-user items such as implants or commlinks.

Downloaded a program from a questionable source, and suspect that it may contain malware code that you haven't been able to find by running your analyze program on it? Run it from a secondary, limited-privilege account. If there is any kind of malware exploit hidden in the program, it won't have full admin access to muck about with things on your commlink that you want to stay secure, such as password lists and secret files.

If the only actual rules reference to admin-only accounts is the "Standard Electronic Devices" then I'd be very careful about what I called a standard electronic device.
Feshy
If the only actual rules reference to admin-only accounts is the "Standard Electronic Devices" then I'd be very careful about what I called a standard electronic device.

I don't have the exact quote on me, but IIRC, the book defines "standard electronic device" as any device that has a "rating" (as opposed to "Response Signal System Firewall" stats.)
Slacker
QUOTE (Feshy)
I don't have the exact quote on me, but IIRC, the book defines "standard electronic device" as any device that has a "rating" (as opposed to "Response Signal System Firewall" stats.)

QUOTE (SR4 p 213)
Device Rating (Universal)
There are far too many electronics in the world of Shadowrun for a gamemaster to keep track of their individual Matrix attributes. Instead, each device is simply given a Device rating. Unless it has been customized or changed in some way, assume that each of the Matrix attributes listed above for a particular device equals its Device rating.
If a particular device plays an important role in an adventure, the gamemaster should assign a full complement of Matrix attributes to it. If the item only plays a passing role, then a simple Device rating will suffice.
The Sample Devices table (p. 214) lists typical Device ratings for common electronics.

No where in that are such devices called standard.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Feshy)
On the other hand, allowing System to be reduced by load for purposes of subscriber lists leaves open an easy exploit. Hack in to the enemy street sam's commlink. Begin uploading agents (no test.) Within a few initiative passes, his commlink will start to loose connections -- smartlinks, wired reflexes, etc. A few passes more, and the commlink crashes. Once access at basic user level is achieved (easy to do when hacking on the fly) no further tests are necessary. This could still happen with my system, but it takes considerably longer.

im not entirely sure that smartlinks and so on need to have a entry on the subscriber list. by the sound of it, only external comlinks, drones, agents and similar need a subscription...
Vector
Personally, I would think that commlinks would have all the normal account levels since they are the only thing left that resembles an actual computer from today and are described as such. Personal computers aren't even listed any more in the gear section.
Slacker
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
im not entirely sure that smartlinks and so on need to have a entry on the subscriber list. by the sound of it, only external comlinks, drones, agents and similar need a subscription...

The commlink controls your PAN. If you want your smartlink to connect to your cybereyes you would want to have them going through your commlink for security (your commlink would have a better firewall), which means that each would be a subscribed device.
Without having them connect to your commlink you would either have to let them broadcast signals to each (allowing for direct hacking) or have a skinlink to connect just those to devices (more devices connected over skinlink would require connection to the commlink to manage the network).
Xeros
A commlink might have user access, but it may be set that generic user's have no rights. Great, you log in as a user and can do......nothing. Generic commlinks are probably configured with admin rights, and the *option* for other users...but you'd have to give them rights where normally they have none.
Slacker
As a shadowrunner, i would specifically want my commlink not to have lower level access for the added security.
As a hacker, I would program an OS that way, and as any other character type I would as the hacker to program such an OS for me if an off the shelf OS didn't already come that way.
BlackHat
Or at the very least, I would hope most hackers would remove their normal-user accounts.

If a hacker is downloading suspect programs, and running them for the first time on his top-of-the-line deck, he deserves anything bad that happens to him. Having non-admin accounts is a liability - and it's not like the team-Hacker is going to let the Street Sam play video-games on his custom-built commlink.

Its sort of analogous to a guy who works for the CIA or something letting his 10 year old kid play on his work-related computer. Not going to happen.
Vector
Of course there also is the idea of computer security that for normal usage you should never be logged in as an admin level user. That way you can't do accidental damage to the system. Also if everything you run is at the admin level if one of those apps is compromised then admin level access is compromised rather than a much more limited user level access.

But that's RL intruding on the game mechanic. From a strict SR game mechanic viewpoint I completely agree that it is simply retarded to have anything other than admin level access available on your commlink since at the very least it forces anyone trying to hack it to get another 5 hits to have any access at all. smile.gif
Xeros
If you can get user access, but a user has no rights, then it doesn't make much difference.Every single action will be refused by the system, and you will have to continue hacking.
Feshy
QUOTE (Slacker)
QUOTE (Feshy @ Nov 9 2005, 01:25 AM)

QUOTE (SR4 p 213)
Device Rating (Universal)
There are far too many electronics in the world of Shadowrun for a gamemaster to keep track of their individual Matrix attributes. Instead, each device is simply given a Device rating. Unless it has been customized or changed in some way, assume that each of the Matrix attributes listed above for a particular device equals its Device rating.
If a particular device plays an important role in an adventure, the gamemaster should assign a full complement of Matrix attributes to it. If the item only plays a passing role, then a simple Device rating will suffice.
The Sample Devices table (p. 214) lists typical Device ratings for common electronics.

No where in that are such devices called standard.

You're right, I was apparently mis-remembering.

The only other place in the BBB that "Standard" is mentioned with "Electronics" or anything like it, that I was able to find, is a table on 214. All it mentions there are "Standard Personal Electronics," Which, even if it where the same things as a "Standard Electronic Device" (and not, for instance, a subset) no information is given on what this term means.

I guess it's yet another term in the book that just wasn't described. If it wasn't for my feeling that, in general, account privileges are hosed, I'd be frustrated by this.
Dread Polack
So, my biggest, yet unanswered question is:

What is a node, exactly?

Is every single item a node? Is each cyberlimb and smartlink a node? Is each one of your drones a node? Is every individual security camera a seperate node? As such, do each of these things have to be loaded with IC?

And here's a bunch more questions:

How does someone gain control of your drones? This is never spelled out in the rules. Does the hacker have to hack into the drone itself, or your personal comlink? If it's your comlink, once he's hacked it, can he control all your drones as if he was you? What does a hacker have to do to gain complete control of your drones? Or will he always have to spoof commands unless they start out "his"?

Let's say a hacker needs to break into a corporation's computers and steal a file. How does he find the correct node in the first place? Does he just "google" it? If so, what do you roll? Would the law firm have a different node for each hard drive, and the hacker would have to hack into each one, one at a time to find the file?

If you can't tell, I'm having a lot of trouble getting my mind around this part of the game smile.gif

Dread Polack
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Dread Polack)
So, my biggest, yet unanswered question is:

What is a node, exactly?

NODE-Any Device or network that can be accessed.
SR4, p.216

Is every single item a node? Is each cyberlimb and smartlink a node? Is each one of your drones a node? Is every individual security camera a seperate node? As such, do each of these things have to be loaded with IC?
It depends on how things are set up. The boundries of a node are typically defined by whether or not you'd have to log in with an account and password.

If you set up your cybereyes so that you can toggle your eye-recorder on and off from your commlink without having to use your commlink to log into your eyes, then commlink and eyes can count as one node.

If there's an individual computer controlling each video camera in the building, and these computers aren't set up to communicate with each other, and are set up that someone who was in the central office would have to remotely log in to manipulate the camera controls, then each video camera counts as a seperate node.

How does someone gain control of your drones? This is never spelled out in the rules. Does the hacker have to hack into the drone itself, or your personal comlink? If it's your comlink, once he's hacked it, can he control all your drones as if he was you? What does a hacker have to do to gain complete control of your drones? Or will he always have to spoof commands unless they start out "his"?
Spoofing commands to a drone is gaining control of it, but from the thurst of your questioning, I belive you're looking for a more permanent solution. That would involve logging into the drone itself with an administrative access account to configure the drone's subscriber list. Smart riggers would require such a login to come from a hardwired connection, to prevent someone from reconfiguring the drone over wifi.

As for hacking the commlink, if you can hack yourself an admin login without the comlink's user noticing, then yes, you can issue commands to any drone. However, the complexity in being able to pull this trick off for long without the commlink's owner noticing would make this prohibitive.

How does he find the correct node in the first place? Does he just "google" it? If so, what do you roll?
Data search (p.220) is a good starting point.
BlackHat
Also, if every device is a node... your commlink is a node. If so, could you run a "reality filter" on it, allowing the program to override the system's metaphor (or designing them so they're not in conflict" thus raising the commlink's responce by 1 (possibly raising the system/firewall/reality filter ratings in the process)? Or is that a roll you can't choose to fail, meaning you'd rolll appx the same # of dice for both the commlink's system and its reailty filter to see which one comes out on top... and close/restart until you see a boost in performance?

Seems to me, the commlink's metaphor should count as a reality filter for its own uses (OS, firewall, etc)... and that only a user should need to override it... which is probably how its intended... but if that's the case - why does the boost in performance affect every aspect of the system (raising response raises the cap on your system/firewall programs - raising the system rating means all of your programs can function at a higher rating).
hobgoblin
the reason why i question the logic about adding every device like display contacts, smartlinks and even cyberware to the comlinks connection list is that it will quite quickly fill up the list. a rating 1 comlink can have what, 2 connections on the list?

another questions is, can one even run a PAN without a comlink?
Slacker
Well anybody with just the most basic commlink is already going to be somebody that does [edit]not[/edit] care about electronics. It's a piece of sh%# and its worse than useless in the Shadows, it opens you up to all kinds of harassment.

As to having a PAN without a commlink, I'd say that is impossible. A PAN (personal area network) requires a device to manage traffic for it to be a network (unless you are talking about only 2 devices directly connected to each other). In modern times that would be a hub, switch, or router. In SR4 that is the commlink.
Actually, I suppose you could have an ad-hoc wireless network that just has every device broadcasting their signal to the world at large. But I'd think that would be extremely vulnerable to attack, since each device could then be hacked and their ratings would surely be lower than a commlink's.
No shadowrunner in his/her right mind would do that.
hobgoblin
sure, no shadowrunner, but the shadowrunner makes up what? 10% of the total world population?

just like today where there is less geeks then normal joe's. yet geeks seems to want every device sold tuned to their prefrences rather then joe's...

and i guess there is a "not" missing in the first part of your post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012