Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadow Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
NightmareX
Shadow Magic
Originally a form of dark paganism that started as a blend nascent magical practices with the Gothic chic of the late 20th century, shadow magic only really came into its own a couple of decades after the Awakening. Many individuals involved in paganism and similar forms of spirituality saw the Awakening as the beginning of a new, better world than the one in which they were currently living. When dream didn’t come to pass, and the resurgence of magic had in many cases actually made the world a worse place than before, some of these pagans and former Goths embraced a more nihilistic view of their own beliefs. Combined with a number of elements taken from the Hermetic tradition, this collection of dark pagan beliefs and Gothic nihilism eventually developed into the tradition of shadow magic as we know it today.

Modern followers of shadow magic rely heavily on introspection, ritual, and contact with spirits to advance in their magical understanding. To a shadow magician, magic is the lifeblood of existence, and the only thing with any real meaning. Everything else is transitory. Shadow mages summon spirits of the elements – fire, water, earth, and air – for power and practical knowledge, but their real fascination is with spirits of man, who they conceive of as the literal ghosts or shades of the dead.
Drain: Willpower + Intuition
Spirits: Combat spells – Fire spirits; Detection spells – Air spirits; Health spells – spirits of Man; Illusion spells – Water spirits; Manipulation spells – Earth spirits
Tools and Trappings: Magical tools in shadow magic include the dagger (athame) and pentacles common to both black magic and witchcraft. Gothic and dark elements, such as black candles, blood letting, skulls (real or fake), and copious amounts of incense are common elements of this tradition’s practices. Tarot reading and scrying are common methods of divination in shadow magic, while chanting in Latin or Greek is a common method of Centering. Some groups of shadow magicians who delve too deeply into the darkest aspects of their tradition learn the Sacrificing metamagic, thus becoming magical threats.
PlatonicPimp
Y'know, it seems everyone's homebrew traditions have been using Will + intuition. What about other Combinations? The Will + Charisma route of the shaman seems underutilized. It would fit in with this tradition, seeing how it both deals with spirit interaction as well as being a stylistic tradition.
I've also been curious about a tradition that resists drain with Will + body. The tradition would be based on the belief that your life force is what you power magic with, and probably has heavy blood magic overtones. The only thing holding me back is the idea of Trolls who follow that tradition eek.gif
maa01
PlatonicPimp: that's because intuition is used for perception tests and for initiative - it's much more useful than charisma or logic.

it's just munchkinism.
Xenith
Its more likely just that the book does not list a specific tradition that has intuition, so everybody and their kid brother want to get original. If they had mad a tradition for each atrribute, this might be a bit more spread out. smile.gif

Edit: And both logic AND charisma are at least as useful as intuition. Show me a sharp eyed caster and I'll show you a caster you just can't say no to or a caster who can hack, heal, or explode things with the best of them. devil.gif
SL James
Indeed, maa01. Charisma is quite important (important enough overall for any PC to not put a couple points into Influence and keep Charisma at least average at their peril). I think given the preponderance of nature-based magic like Shamanism, or it's more realistic Pueblo counterpart I prefer to use down there, that Charisma is a good attribute to use seeing as though several aspects of Willpower and Charisma overlap already.
maa01
there was some topics about this, but:

intuition:
* used for initiative
* used for perception and assensing

charisma:
* used for maximum number of spirits
* used for social skills

logic:
* used for hacking and healing

there is something missing, right?
NightmareX
I used Intuition on this one (as well as Fern Witchery and Chaos magic) due to the fact that these traditions place a lot of importance on the practitioner's intuitive feelings - hence Intuition.

Perhaps I should have gone for Logic instead. That's definitely the attribute for intuitive feelings, right maa01?
hahnsoo
intuition:
* used for initiative
* used for perception and assensing
And used for half of Knowledge skills (Interests, Street)

logic:
* used for hacking and healing
And used for half of Knowledge skills (Professional, Academic).

Our game is replete with knowledge skill rolls, making the above very valuable.

As far as homebrew traditions, I'm getting a major "Prestige Class" d20 vibe from them... ugh. I've always felt the same way about homebrew totems, too.
Xenith
Logic: Hacking, healing, demolitions, Mechanics, Armoring, Knowledge skills, and Memory.
Intuition: Artisan, Assensing, Disguise, Perception, Judging Intentions, Tracking, Knowledge Skills, and Initiative.
Charisma: Social skills of all kinds (very important here!), Spirit Max, and Composure.

They're all important, but some might be more important than others, depending on the character concept. Mages remeber alot of crap and are able to use a bit of synergy with magic and non-magical skills, Shaman are freakin' smooth, and Intuition based traditions are hawk-eyed bastards. I think that about sums it up.
NightmareX
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
As far as homebrew traditions, I'm getting a major "Prestige Class" d20 vibe from them... ugh.

Heh don't worry, eventually we'll run out of RL traditions to convert and stop posting them (unlike D&D, where there is no end.....ever........) cool.gif
Jaid
no, because just like in D&D people will make up new traditions.

'course, they won't be getting much outta ritual spellcasting if they do that, mind you =P
Fortune
In my opinion, this whole concept (Shadow/Goth Magic) is just another way of looking at the already established Hermetic Tradition.
maa01
QUOTE (Xenith)
[...]

I'm just saying is't nice coincidence that everyone making his own tradition uses the most attractive combat stat wink.gif

In our group we "solved" problem with logic being really useless trait by giving hermetics other advantage - I was creating rules for spell design (really simple - roll Logic + Spell design + Initiate grade (10 + drain modifier of new spell, 1 mounth) spell if you're shaman or priest(*), or (10 + drain modifier, 1 week) if you're hermetic. Otherwie the rules are the same like for studying spells.

(*): We play in really different setting - belive or not, it's fantasy smile.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (Fortune)
In my opinion, this whole concept (Shadow/Goth Magic) is just another way of looking at the already established Hermetic Tradition.

Got it in one smile.gif
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (maa01)
PlatonicPimp: that's because intuition is used for perception tests and for initiative - it's much more useful than charisma or logic.

it's just munchkinism.

When I created the primal tradition, I chose Intuition because it's not used by either of the published traditions, and because it felt better than logic or charisma.

Did you ever think it might be because people think intuition works better for the style of magic they envision? Because not everything is munchkinism. Charisma is INCREDIBLY useful. Logic, not so much. Cha and Int are both really, really nice though.
PlatonicPimp
yeah, it's just that intuition feels right for ANY magic that isn't logical, including shamanism. And in the end, most traditions we'll be inventing are ones that are for those who felt that the other traditions weren't for them. It'll get really repetitive.

I'm not saying it's bad, but lets try some variety. Any magic that can be said to have rules and formulas to follow, in which you do something the same way for the same result, logic should apply. Any magic where the practicioner has some leadership role in a culture, or in which ritual and showmanship is highly important, should be based on charisma. Any magic based on going with the flow, following your heart, or doin what works should be based on intuition.

I'm still trying to figure out paradigns that use physical stats as drain. I can figure one out for body, where the mage feels that their magic is powered by their life force. The tradition would have havy sacrifical and blood magic overtones. However, I'm concerned about the possibility of Trolls with that tradition. I am trying hard, but I can't think of a tradition that would resist drain with strength, agility or reaction, but I'm trying.
Eyeless Blond
For those complainning about Hermetics, don't forget there's a Cerebral Booster that directly adds to your Logic, so a hermetic can start out rolling 15 dice for Drain resistance.

As for physical-stat Drain traditions, well, Naruto-style Ninjutsu would require Agility, as it's all about having the manual dexterity to form a bunch of hand seals quickly and accurately.

DBZ-style "martial arts" would be Strength-based; most of that's about literally channelling your strength outside your body.

I wouldn't do any of these as actual SR traditions though. For one, SR is much more generous about boosting physical attributes than mental ones, so any physical-stat drain tradition would be at a decided advantage, especially when metavariants come back. Secondly, they're just silly. smile.gif
PlatonicPimp
True, except for the body based blood magic. That's just scary.
FrankTrollman
Interestingly, "Intuition" has little to do with anything you would refer to as intuition in natural english. Intuition may as well be called your "noticing" stat, because that's what it is about - noticing stuff.

When most people talk about "intuition", they are talking about things that you get from Charisma in Shadowrun. Everything that is based on "feelings" is all Charisma in Shadowrun. The only thing that is vaguely intuitive in Shadowrun that runs off your Intuition stat is your ability to Paint (which is based on Artisan). Your ability to glean information from encounters with other people (Ettiquette), your ability to sound like you know what you are talking about (Con), your ability to explain how you think about things (Instruction), and your ability to know what other people want/need to hear (Leadership) are all Charisma based.

If a tradition is in any way based on "feelings" it is based on Charisma. If a tradition is based on noticing stuff, it's Intuition. Fern Witchery is Intuition-based because of all that stuff where you look carefully at flowers in order to conect with them. Shadow Magic is Charisma-based because you are in any way concerned with the feelings and attitudes of yourself and those around you.

-Frank
maa01
yeah. it would be much less confusing if theycalled it Perception.
blakkie
Intution has a good deal to do with "intuition". RL intuition is indeed very much a "noticing" thing.

Also Con is linked to Intuition, but in a defensive way. Sure it would help to have Intuition to make a Con, but that is where the GM can have the character attempting the Con do a Perception check up front if there is a partcularly hidden detail that might give an edge to the character. Or better yet a character could make an active Perception check before attempting the Con to try get a better idea of where to go with the Con.

Leadership is linked to Charisma because well, let us glance at the dictionary again.

Yes, Ettiquette can be used in an "intuition" way. Charisma is just the main attribute because Ettiquette is primarily a projecting. *shrug* This happens with a number of skills, and is an old saw.

P.S. Note that Disguise is linked to Intution.
blakkie
QUOTE (maa01)
yeah. it would be much less confusing if theycalled it Perception.

It would be a lot less confusing if you understood the meaning of "intuition". nyahnyah.gif
Kleaner
The mage in my campaign came up with the Shinto/zen/kung fu tradition that uses intuition.

His reasoning was that his magic was based on ancestor spirits, which is rather a rather neat and original concept.

Of course the disadvantage to having a unique tradition is that it's going to be hard to find supplies/teachers of that tradition. Lots of room for adventure hooks there.
PlatonicPimp
It won't be once the enchanting rules come out.
Veggiesama
Everyone is forgetting about the number one use of Logic for spellcasters in general. Page 191, under Activation:

"The number of foci you can have active at one time is equal to your Logic."

So if you're trying to get away with a 1 or 2 Logic caster, you're in for some trouble once you start getting some money under your belt.
Veggiesama
By the way, for people who equate the number of new traditions to D&D prestige classes, think about this:

For D&D, you needed to come up with a character concept, BAB progression table, spell progression table, list of new and useful abilities and their functions, saving throw progression table, list of skills, prerequisites, etc. etc...

For SR4 traditions, all you need is a little bit of creative description, a choice between Logic, Charisma, or Intuition for drain (I'd highly recommend AGAINST using Body, like one poster mentioned... I think the point is that you must use a Mental stat, but who knows), and a semi-randomly selected list of spirits and spell elemental links. There's not much thought that really goes into it (game-mechanics-wise).

So yeah, expect to see a million different traditions with very little actual differences, besides flavor text.
Abschalten
I only used Intuition as the Drain stat one time. A friend of mine gave me a cross-over challenge and told me to create Nick Scryer from "Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy" using SR4 chargen and rules. Since he was a psychic-type with telekinesis, mind-reading/control powers, pyrokinesis and the like, I figured the best drain stat FOR him would be Intuition.

I ended up making him a Magician with combat abilities.

My real magician characters use Logic.
Liper
I've played this game for almost 10 years now, never once have I had a successful magician use more then 2-3 focus.
Zeel De Mort
Do you mean they've never used a focus rating higher than 2-3, or never used more than 2-3 foci?

I'd think most mages, eventually, would have more than three foci they'd find useful. The ratings of course depend on the power level of your campaign.
Fortune
Especially now that SR4 has split the Counterspelling Foci up into spell categories.
blakkie
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 29 2005, 03:50 PM)
Especially now that SR4 has split the Counterspelling Foci up into spell categories.

That's definately part of it. The biggest change though from SR3 IMO is in Power Foci.

Power Foci do not work when using Counterspelling for Spell Defense (because you don't use your Magic attribute), only when dispelling a sustained spell. Also the asspected Spellcasting and Summoning foci (there are no general Spellcasting/Summoning foci) can still aid in casting when you have a Power foci since you can use their dice for Drain tests (which again the Power foci cannot). So you'd likely have a Power focus along with a Spell focus aspected to your most common overcast, and likely Health since Heal drain can be very nasty at times, plus your most common summoned Spirit category.

Assuming you specialize one way or another that's at least two (three if you are trying to generalize a bit, and that'll make the foci even more important). Add in likely a couple Sustaining foci, assuming you cast at least a couple utility spells you want to keep up. That brings and that brings you to 4 or 5 foci.

Then you can look at what base you want to cover with Counterspelling/Banishing. Combat being likely number one on the list, but Detection and Illusion are certainly valid options and there spells that can hurt you in both Manipulation (Petrify/Goo) and Health (Decrease Attribute). As for Spirits, well that's a wide open territory. You might consider what you Specialized Counterspelling/Banishing in, and try cover a different category to give a wider range of protection.

At that point you are already in the neighborhood of the limit before Initiating, with tough choices already made, and without considering Weapon Foci. Of course you could function without some of these foci, but you wouldn't have the same coverage that you had in SR3 with a single Power focus and a couple of Sustaining foci.
Eyeless Blond
On the flip side, all foci are comparatively more expensive as cash is generally "worth" about 4 times as much, except for Power foci which are cheaper.

And Spellcasting and Spirit foci have always been limited by spell category; counterspelling and power foci are the only ones that weren't. Sustainning foci used to have to be rebonded for sustainning a different spell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012