Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting up the nodes for a building?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lord Ben
Okay, the PC's will shortly be infiltrating a Combat Bike arena during the game to futz with the fog machine and confetti cannon. I'm trying to set up the various nodes and this is what I've come up with so far roughly in order of where I think the PC's will go and in what order.

1. The parking lot: It's a public access node but there is maybe agents or a hacker patrolling the lot to make sure people aren't spamming or hacking while in the parking lot. Possible Uses: Hack to get info on particular vehicles or erase their tracks. Hack to get access to employee or team parking area. Security: Loose, but rapid response times if something bad happens. Maybe weak agents patrolling for spammers?

2. Bike Data Node: It's a secure node. User access gives them data on the bikes. Tire pressure, gas levels, damage, speed, etc. This is probably kept for team staff as well as given to various news organizations for their broadcasts. Security Access gives authority to send messages to the bikers. Admin to actually shut down machines, etc. Security: Loose for user access, just get a press pass. Tight for all else, maybe the node is shut down unless the team has official functions? During game probably a mid-level hacker to provide security (and mess with the other team?)

3. Team Area: Secure Node. Info on various players like their biomonitor data. Cameras in the locker room to listen/watch pregame speaches. Stores playbooks, payroll, etc. Security: Super Tight.

4. On the Field: This node controls various aspects of the game like the ramps that the bikes charge down, confetti machine, fog cannon, and various on-field traps, tricks, and pyrotechnics. Security: Super Tight for hacking to protect against zealous fans. But lots of people like contractors, etc are given access to do their jobs.

5. The Stadium: Public Node. The public part would give info on where various things are located as well as ordering food and memorbilia and accessing the AR portion of the game. Security level access would be to find out who is sitting where, maybe change scores on the scoreboard, screw with vendors, etc. Security: Tight, can't have people messing with the scoreboard during a game. Maybe a weak agent guarding the scoreboard?

6. Security Node: This is where the police forces and physical security keep their info and patrols, etc. Lots of ICE, a skilled hacker (for flavor an ex-player missing a limb?), physical security with good weapons. Security: Probably utilizes various areas that don't have wireless coming in and just have a wire going to what they need.

Anyone think of anything extra? Something that doesn't make sense? I was going to just use this as a guideline and make up actual numbers on the spot.
Lord Ben
Also is a node controlled by one computer or several? Or can one computer control several nodes?
PlatonicPimp
One computer+ One node, usually. More than one computer might contibute to 1 node if they parrallel process, but never more than 1 node per computer.

What you have there sounds good, but remeber, those would be overarching nodes which managed teh exchange of most information (Network servers.) Each individual device that hooks up to those can be considered a separte node.
NightRain
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Anyone think of anything extra? Something that doesn't make sense? I was going to just use this as a guideline and make up actual numbers on the spot.

My only thought is to wonder why the security system is it's own node, where the super hacker etc hangs out? Shouldn't security have access to the player area and the stadium and be patrolling and enforcing those nodes?

Basically, why do they need their own node?
Jaid
presumably the security node handles such things as communications between security personnel, has access to all security devices in the other nodes, etc. you wouldn't want the parking lot node to have security reports, 'cause then the runners could hack a very simple node and know what you're up to all the time.
NightRain
QUOTE (Jaid)
presumably the security node handles such things as communications between security personnel, has access to all security devices in the other nodes, etc. you wouldn't want the parking lot node to have security reports, 'cause then the runners could hack a very simple node and know what you're up to all the time.

But it's the same thing in the end isn't it? If there is a camera in the carpark, and it's hooked up to the security system, the hackers got a door to the security system...
Rifleman
QUOTE (NightRain @ Oct 19 2005, 09:36 PM)
But it's the same thing in the end isn't it?  If there is a camera in the carpark, and it's hooked up to the security system, the hackers got a door to the security system...

There may be a door there, or it may just be a split feed down the camera visual output , sending the image to both systems.

Either was it's still a seperate system which is meant to be low traffic to insure communication of the officers so that can quickly and efficently deal with problems. Last thing they need is to have to deal with every pimplefaced kid of dick, mary, and jane that wants to poke around an easy access node to see if they can get pics of the cheerleaders in the showers.
Lord Ben
I just like to think of the security system as being fairly hardwired, and the stuff that is wireless has constant "security guards" in the form of agents watching everything that goes on. So even if the PC's hack in they'll quickly be found.

Also, since it's a televised event I was going to have the cameras not be on the security node. That way the news crews can take the feeds off the various areas.
Jaid
i suppose i should clarify: the security node has access to all of the cameras. that does not preclude the camera data going to other sources, it just means that it's all in one place for the security guards, they don't have to go to the garage to check up on the garage, they can check it from wherever they are. and the separate system means that you can't listen in on the guards by hacking the garage system, you must hack the security system. that sort of thing.
mfb
i'm not sure that the news crews would need access to the security cameras--they'd certainly want it, in case anything interesting happens, but i don't think the arena managers would be wise to give the news crews that sort of access. news crews have their own cameras.
Lord Ben
The cameras that watch the parking lot, stadium, etc are dual use. They'd have access to those.
Beowurk
I see no reason for the On The Field node (#4) to be wireless-accesible at all, since it's basically a closed system that doesn't need to interact with the public. Perhaps have it accessible from other selected hosts, but have the access path difficult to find (i.e. you'll need to actually break into the building and get to the terminal).

In spite of how prominant wireless is, it doesn't make good security design sense to have a critical node that doesn't need general access operating visible.

Remember: Wires still exist, not all networks are meshes, wireless-stopping paint can be used to contain signals to areas and host nodes can operate in hidden mode.

Make it difficult to find the node, not just break in. Reduced cost for security, and more of the challenge for the players. Perhaps they'd need to break into the commlink of someone the node 'trusts' and steal the codes that allow them to see and connect to the hidden node?
Oracle
Finding a hidden node is not that difficult. It just means you have to scan for it.
Lord Ben
Yeah, but how are the PC's supposed to fire off smoke canons to hide and move walls in the way of the bikers that are chasing them through the stadium if they don't hack into the building controls?

While it doesn't make sense to do it from a real-world perspective. It also doesn't make sense to have two goblins guard a treasure chest in a 10x10 room either. But you do it because it's fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012