Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fox shapeshifters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Toptomcat
I thought I saw it printed in one of the rulebooks that fox shapeshifters keep their tails even in fully human form (or have the option to do so-) but now I can't find it. Is it in there? Where?
caramel frappucino
Indeed. Critters, page 42.
Apathy
I had completely forgotten about this (probably because I don't like anime and furries in my shadowruns), but according to the fluff text all the shifters display some characteristic of their animal nature.
  • Bear - Excessive body hair
  • Eagle - Dark eyes/sharp features/claustrophobia
  • Fox - Bushy tail
  • Tiger - Cat's eyes
  • Seal - Webbed fingers/toes/luxuriant hair
  • Leopard - (Doesn't say, but they've got severe allergy and vulnerability to gold)
  • Wolf - Hairy palms and uni-brows
mmu1
Reaaally... Our group's fox shifter is going to be deeply indebted to you guys after I get done with him. The reason he always wears a long coat now becomes clear... smile.gif
caramel frappucino
All undesirable physical features can easily be remedied through the liberal application of a combat axe.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (caramel frappucino)
All undesirable physical features can easily be remedied through the liberal application of a combat axe.

Only to regenerate again, in the case of shapeshifters. nyahnyah.gif
caramel frappucino
In our games, we've always allowed critters to voluntarily turn their powers off if they wanted to.

IMO, sacrificing virtual invulnerability in exchange for being able to shave off your unibrow is a pretty good deal.
toturi
Those rules are for NPC shapeshifters ie they are critters. PC shapeshifters use the SRComp rules.
blakkie
QUOTE (caramel frappucino @ Oct 20 2005, 06:43 PM)
In our games, we've always allowed critters to voluntarily turn their powers off if they wanted to.

IMO, sacrificing virtual invulnerability in exchange for being able to shave off your unibrow is a pretty good deal.

It ain't virtual invulnerability in SR4. Though the Regeneration critter power does heal both Physical and Stun now, they only heal at the end of the Combat Turn the number of hits (vs. TN 5 of course) rolled on Magic + Body. Depending on armour worn, Body, lighting conditions, etc. it's pretty easy to get ganked by a couple opponents that spend a couple initiative passes each with AK-47s (EDIT: And that is before they use Called Shot to the head/spine, which is still in there as unregenerable)
caramel frappucino
Ah, then the superior choice is even easier to see.
hahnsoo
I don't believe the Critter Power of Regeneration, in particular, can be voluntarily turned off. Critters, p 7
Critter powers that are always in effect (have an action of Automatic and so are constantly on) have a duration of Always. Such powers generally have a range of Self.

The powers that can be turned off and on at will are labeled with "Free" instead of "Auto", like Flame Aura and Cold Aura.
blakkie
Ah, then the superior choice is even easier to see.

Ya, but some people are still going to play SR3. *shrug* wink.gif
ShadowDragon8685
SR34EV4R!
John Campbell
Does SR4 at least make up for gimping regeneration by not sodomizing shifters with a rusty chainsaw during the character generation process the way SR3 does? (Are there even rules for PC shifters in SR4 yet?)
hyzmarca

Somehow, I don't think hair would regenerate, anyway. Hair isn't even alive. Besides, shaving hair doesn't cause any damage.
fistandantilus4.0
sure it does. didn't you ever read the comic when Wolverine cut his hair!? biggrin.gif

Sorry, had to have my geek moment in the sun
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
sure it does. didn't you ever read the comic when Wolverine cut his hair!? biggrin.gif

Sorry, had to have my geek moment in the sun

OKay, now I know what argument I'll use if I ever try to convince a GM to let a Shapeshifter have bonelacing.
fistandantilus4.0
just tell him it's 'laced', so it's tied to the bones, so the body can't reject it! It's tied down! If he argues, just say that means that he's calling Wolverine BS, and you there fore have every right to beat the crap out of him. wink.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
just tell him it's 'laced', so it's tied to the bones, so the body can't reject it! It's tied down! If he argues, just say that means that he's calling Wolverine BS, and you there fore have every right a duty to beat the crap out of him while smoking a cigar. wink.gif

fixed.
fistandantilus4.0
thanks bub
Apathy
QUOTE (John Campbell)
Does SR4 at least make up for gimping regeneration by not sodomizing shifters with a rusty chainsaw during the character generation process the way SR3 does? (Are there even rules for PC shifters in SR4 yet?)

SR4 doesn't have rules yet for playing shifters, though there's a thread discussing it in the SR4 section.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012