Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare books
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
stupid newbie
I took the first trip to my FLGS in the past three months and noticed that since I was last there they had a bunch of second-hand shadowrun books for about AU$25 each ( i think that's just under US$20).
As much as I would have liked to buy most of them, I'm a bit short on funds at the moment, so I only got universal brotherhood, as it looked awesome and it's supposedly rare.
Unfortunately I can't remember most of the books they had there, but which ones should I make it a priority to pick up if I find?

Secondly, Did Sr1 and Sr2 have limited edition releases like Sr3 and Sr4 and if so, how much do each of the limited editions generally go for?
the_dunner
For both SR1 and SR2, the closest thing to a limited edition would be if you were to find either book in hardcover, instead of in paperback. The covers were the same. There was no numbering. However, the hardcovers were a bit rarer. Honestly, though, I think neither hardcover were anywhere near as rare as the SR4 and SR4 LE's.

As far as rarer books go -- your best bet is to check eBay. I think the "most valuable" books, aside from UB, are the Lone Star and Corporate Security books. But, there's a huge variation.
Lindt
Yeah, Sr3 released a 1000 copy run in hard cover as well. The BABY. We all want one to go with the rest of our limited collections. =p
Dog
Make sure that your copy of UB has the fiction insert. If it doesn't, you got ripped off; That was the best part.

I still think Mercurial was great. And Harlequin, if you can forgive some glaring errors in light of a great run. Oh, and Seattle Sourcebook, if just for the glossy photos. Kitschy goodness.
stupid newbie
Fiction insert, do you mean the large section bound on the top with the front cover advertising the universal brotherhood? Isn't that most of the book?
Ancient History
UB consisted of a loose cover, a top-spined fiction booklet, and the adventure Missing Blood. Make sure you have all three.

THe rarest of the mainstream SR products is probably Sprawl Maps, followed by the DMZ. The rarest book (aside from the limited editions) would be Prime Runners, the Lonestar Sourcebook, and the original 1st edition-only-rules Street Samurai Catalogue. The first two vary quite a bit in availability, but seem to be pretty consistently rare.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Ancient History)
THe rarest of the mainstream SR products is probably Sprawl Maps, followed by the DMZ. The rarest book (aside from the limited editions) would be Prime Runners, the Lonestar Sourcebook, and the original 1st edition-only-rules Street Samurai Catalogue. The first two vary quite a bit in availability, but seem to be pretty consistently rare.

Is it wrong that I have all of those just sitting around in my Big Box of Shadowrun?

I highly suggest picking up Sprawl Sites, if you can... lots and lots of maps!
Grinder
Paranormal Animals Of Europe, LoneStar Sb and London Sb had become the three rarest books, at least here in germany.
Rifleman
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Oct 20 2005, 10:19 PM)
Is it wrong that I have all of those just sitting around in my Big Box of Shadowrun?

Absolutely not! Otherwise, I would be in trouble because I have Two of the Sprawl Sites and Lonestar Source book in my shadowrun section. biggrin.gif

Sprawl Sites has 90% of everything you will ever need, map wise.
tisoz
I do not see too many Atzlan books. AH is right about the map pack, not to be confused with the readily findable Sprawl Sites (though an excellent book).

Another book I don't see too often is Corporate Punishment.
Tanka
Got that one. Same with UB and Bug City.

I'm still working on Lone Star...
Straight Razor
ok i have to ask because i couldn't find anything on them...
what is BABY and UB???
Tanka
UB = Universal Brotherhood.

BABY is (from what I'm gathering) the limited release version of the SR3 corebook.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (tanka)
BABY is (from what I'm gathering) the limited release version of the SR3 corebook.

Correctomundo!

FASA Catalog #7000: the Big All Black Yearbook, so named because many of the people at the GenCon where it was first distributed passed it around to have FASA personel (both full time and freelance) as well as fellow Dumpshockers and ShadowRN'ers, sign it like it was a highschool yearbook.

eidolon
A fantastic combination of rarity and total and complete bitchin-ness can be found with the Lone Star Sourcebook. I paid around fifty bucks US for my copy. It's that good. smile.gif

And no it's not wrong to have books sitting around. MUST....HOARD....OUT of PRINT....BoOkS>>.......erk....
Lindt
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (tanka)

Correctomundo!

FASA Catalog #7000: the Big All Black Yearbook, so named because many of the people at the GenCon where it was first distributed passed it around to have FASA personel (both full time and freelance) as well as fellow Dumpshockers and ShadowRN'ers, sign it like it was a highschool yearbook.

Which is why its not uncommon to have Art Work in the covers of this book if you get it second hand. Some of the stuff a few of our resident DSrs have in their BABYs is really rather incredable.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Lindt)
Some of the stuff a few of our resident DSrs have in their BABYs is really rather incredable.

And some of it is indescribable. Like the piece Tom Baxa drew in the copy of mine, which prompted Fred Hooper to draw a guy looking at Baxa's doodle. The caption he wrote next to it was "Um, wot is that?" with an arrow pointing to Baxa's art. Then, keeping up the trend, Mike "Skuzzy" Nielsen drew a doodle of a guy pointing to Hooper's art, with the caption "Fred Hooper is a Sissy!"

Unfortunately, this was a secondhand copy, so I don't know any details of the actual book signing, and whether or not the artists in question got to see what the next one in the chain was drawing or not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012