Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repost: Look and feel of SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DataWasLost
I am a big proponent of mood and feel in my game. If the characters aren't feeling the game, it's just a (excuse the term) dungeon-hack.

What movies and music do you storytellers out there draw from?

I've been playing SR since v2.0. Certainly the first two, and part of the third iteration were very much William Gibson. The other part of v.3 and all of SR4 seems very much Neil Stephenson, if you catch the analogy.

Whereas, again excusing the examples, the first versions of SR were very Johnny Mnemonic, SR4 seems more Matrix-y.

I'm looking for more to inspire my upcoming games.

Here's something to start the discussion, please add to this list:

MOVIES
Matrix, The
Minority Report
Paycheck (certain aspects, otherwise a SHITTY movie).
Ghost In The Shell (anime)
Lain (anime)

MUSIC
???
Abschalten
If you're looking for music, well, I'm of the opinion that the album "The Cursed Species" by Cdatakill is the penultimate Shadowrun soundtrack. It's not exactly a popular or mainstream album, but if you can find samples on the internet, or get a physical copy (I got my copy at malignantrecords.com) it's a fantastic bunch of music to put on during a game.

"Swarm of Vicious Angels" from that album makes me think of hacking my way through SR4's Wireless Matrix.

The song titles even have a SR feel to them. Tracks like "Predatory Behavior," "How To Kill People And Get Away With It," and "A Death Worth A Living." Man, it really IS a good soundtrack.

http://www.adnoiseam.net/label/catalog/43/enter.htm If you wanna check it out.
Dog
Sorry, but do we need another music or movie thread?
RunnerPaul
Probably not.

Though I reccomend Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within as another good reference point for what an AR interface would look like (Though FF:tSW used holographics instead of simsense overlay, it still makes for some good inspiration).
Kyoto Kid
I tend to draw a lot from espionage and political intrigue thrillers with just a bit of comedic relief thrown in now & then.

For TV series: the original Avengers (Steed & Mrs. Peel), Secret Agent, the Prisoner, Twenty Four, NCIS, The West Wing, selected episodes of X-Files. Oh, yeah occasionally a little Buffy thrown in now & then just to keep the runners on their toes.

For films: Wrong is Right, Telefon, The President's Plane is Missing, The Manchurian Candidate (original), Escape from New York, The Brinks Job, Die Hard (only the first one), Enemy of the State, Ghost in the Shell, Sneakers, 5th Element (I know it's more SF but is did have some nice touches).

On the lighter side - The Italian Job (Original), True Lies, Big Trouble in Little China.

Comic Books/Graphic Novels: Kabuki (Circle of Blood, Masks of the Noh), Shi, Miller's Sin City, Chaykin's American Flagg, Nexus, DNAgents.

Also I am open to current events. For example, as a plot device a few sessions ago, I included a wave of bombings that rocked London. The difference is that instead of suicide terrorists wired with plastic explosives, this was a cold and calculated attack by a covert entity which employed FAEs for their psychological shock value ("They easily could have been Tak Nukes...").
blakkie
QUOTE (Dog)
Sorry, but do we need another music or movie thread?

Be nice to the newbie, it's his first day on DSF. smile.gif Besides it's kinda my bad. I forgot to mention the Search feature at the top-right when i pointed out to him the original thread he created in the SR4 subforum was in the wrong place. embarrassed.gif
Straight Razor
movie/book: ("soylent green" /"make room! make room!") "brave new world" "1984" "tank girl" "and any book with shadowrun writen on the cover"
Eyeless Blond
For the almost-CZ sammie, this has an interesting take on the detachment aspect. biggrin.gif
eidolon
Equilibrium
Vanilla Sky (Don't know why if feels SRish to me, but it does.)
I Robot
Gattaca (The sheer amount of stuff that can be used to track and hunt you in SR makes this one a must.)

That's all I can think of right now.
SL James
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
For the almost-CZ sammie, this has an interesting take on the detachment aspect. biggrin.gif

Wouldn't that pretty much describe half the mundane SINless in Shadowrun, too?
Dog
My apologies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012